Leominster State Forest

Princeton, MA

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Leominster State Forest is a 7.8 mile loop trail located near Princeton, Massachusetts that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Vicki Bejma (2560)

57 Completed45 Reviews

I took a figure 8 approach to this park. I started in the parking lot nearest the swimming area, then picked up the trail out to the Crow Ledges. This is a very steep uphill, with some nice rock formations at the end. I looped back to the swimming area, then took the Ball Hill Trail. That has a longer but slower ascent.

Aaron Sienkiewicz (975)

11 Completed6 Reviews

Ball hill trail was a great hike. Nothing too strenuous but very enjoyable.

Amanda Bennett (130)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Had a total blast. Took some great pics too. Great Sunday workout.

Beth Sullivan (133)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Ball Hill Trail is a bit more than 4 miles long, and begins and ends at the parking lot near the beach. Some parts of the trail are fairly steep.

We found the trail poorly maintained, with ferns growing close to the sides of the trail and much of the soil washed out among the rocks in the hilly sections. We also encountered a lot of water on the trail, both in mud puddles and trickling across our path. I had encountered this problem here before during the spring, but didnt anticipate how much water the week's rain would leave on the trail. We came out with muddy shoes and legs, and damp socks.

The trail crosses at least 6 stone walls and passes through some pretty clearings full of ferns and some interesting boulders. I wondered what the land was used for before it became part of the state forest. The coolest part of this hike was seeing toads hopping across the trail at regular intervals on some of the low parts of the trail.

Michelle Kittredge Drab (1548)

12 Completed13 Reviews

Beautiful place to hike, many different trails to hike and the trails are great.

Support