Crooked Lake Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 2 trails in Waterloo State Recreation Area
Crooked Lake Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinckney, MI that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding camping fishing hiking mountain biking nature trips trail running walking forest lake views wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

A 5 mile loop around Crooked Lake. This 5 mile loop is part of the Potawatomi Trail. It is a 5 mile loop that circles Crooked lake. It also intersects with several other trails, such as the Silver Lake trail. Terain ranges from flat, well packed dirt to boardwalk to sand, to rugged hills. It is a very good training loop for cross country running, as well as conditioning hikes. There are some wonderful views along the trail, as well as a camping area should you wish to camp there. It is important to note that this trail is open during hunting season, so take appropriate precautions.

Dana Marie

1 Completed1 Reviews

My friend and I hiked this trail this morning and it was beautiful! We only passed a few bikers and walkers along the way so for the most part, we were alone. It was so quiet and peaceful! The water was absolutely gorgeous. This was the first trail we've done and we we didn't struggle at all. There are definitely some steeper parts but we got through it without a problem. Can't wait to come back!!

Erica Woodburn

7 Completed7 Reviews

Subramanya Prasad N K

3 Completed1 Reviews

Brooke Barnett

Jason Kilgore

3 Completed3 Reviews

I really enjoyed the trails. They are well marked. Great Lake views and swimming area with picnic benches and grills. Very dog friendly! Perfect blend of rugged terrain and groomed trails.

Rachel Wiltshire

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful blue skies. Super hot for March. Fantastic trail with just the right amount of uphill that made you work for it but not overly so. Lots of friendly mtb-ers, dog walkers and runners sharing the same space. I drove 160 miles for those precious 2 hours to clear my head.

Mitchell S.

Ashley Reynolds

11 Completed9 Reviews

Nice walking trail! We have come here a few times, in the fall and the winter to walk with our dog. There are a lot of mountain bikers when there isn't snow on the ground. It is a nice forest hike, with several hills and bodies of water. My dog loves it!

Patrick Verano

4 Completed2 Reviews

First hiking trail I did in Michigan. Tough at times with the inclines. Had a wonderful time enjoying the peace and quiet. Ran into other people running and biking the trails.

Samantha Meeks

3 Completed2 Reviews

Such a fun and challenging trail. The views were gorgeous, the terrain was ever changing and the smell of pine makes you want to stop and cherish its beauty. The colors are beautiful this time of year as well. The trail system is quite busy with bikers so be on the lookout because sometimes it's hard to see and hear what's around the corner.

Luke Abram

25 Completed21 Reviews

This trail had good hilly terrain for south east Michigan. Went in early spring and enjoyed water birds and a turtle on the trail.

Mike Kole

1 Completed1 Reviews

A little late on this review, my wife and I went thru on 1 April! Loved the trail, although we started at the end, instead of the beginning, got a little turned around and added 2 miles to the overall hike. This was our first ever hike, and so far haven't been able to find anything even close as nice as this. This was before the greening of Spring, we look forward to going back in early Fall!

Donna McGregor

1 Completed1 Reviews

First time on this trail, loved it!! Very well marked and maintained. Nice way to spend a few hours on a nice weather day.

Brian Luck

5 Completed1 Reviews

love this trail watch out for the mountain bikers tho.

Megan Markwardt

1 Completed1 Reviews

My first hike and it was pretty awesome. The scenery here is beautiful!