Clifty Creek Natural Area Trail

MODERATE
Dixon, MO
true
Clifty Creek Natural Area Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dixon, MO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding camping hiking forest river views wild flowers rocky
Hide Map

Clifty Creek trail is a 2.5 loop trail with the primary attraction being a natural bridge with a span of forty ft. Enroute to the natural bridge you pass through old growth Hickory and Oak timber, limestone Ozark glades, and cliffs overlooking Clifty Creek and you cross the creek twice. A very scenic 2.5 mile loop hiking trail leads from the conservation area parking lot to the natural bridge and back. A hiker can choose to take the loop, or can choose to go and come from the arch via the same trail portion. The trail has an intersection one-tenth of a mile from the parking lot. The right fork in the trail is an additional one mile to the arch; if you choose the left fork the arch is 1.4 miles away - one way. Both forks are very scenic and traverse some very interesting natural features.

Keith Ritz

1 Completed0 Reviews

Great trail my 4 kids made it, if you want to see the arch take a right to get to it faster

Tara Barger

11 Completed0 Reviews

What a fun hike! Interesting things to see, and places to stop, and a nice, moderate terrain! The natural bridge is the main highlight for sure, plan to stop there a bit. Will be back for sure.

Daniel Mahoney

1 Completed0 Reviews

Tyler Williams

2 Completed0 Reviews

It was a nice relaxing hike.

N Knell

4 Completed2 Reviews

Well marked and maintained trail. My 9-year old son enjoyed all the rocks near the creek. They are currently doing controlled burns, which makes it very smoky.

T K

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! Had a blast with my two older sons and 3 big dogs. Plenty of rocky hills and numerous places to stop and enjoy the creek and views. Will definitely do it again.

Josh Smith

1 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I took our dog out on a Sunday afternoon hike and had a pleasant experience. The trail is well maintained. One thing to note is that they do allow hunting within the area so I recommend wearing bright colors to make sure you don't get mistaken for a deer... or Sasquatch. We encountered one hunter along the trail and had a nice conversation, he was very respectful and informed us he would be hunting outside of the trails area as to ensure our safety. I would highly recommend this as a nice 1-1.5 hour adventure to anybody looking to wander around in the woods a bit and see a cool rock formation.

Robert Reardon

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great little day hike for the fall, cool bridge and some fun climbing.

Ellen Duckwall

1 Completed1 Reviews

Short trail but very well maintained. Does not have any spectacular view points but great for a trail run or an excuse to get out in nature.

Gina Frazier

10 Completed1 Reviews

Perfect hike if you are looking to get some peace and quiet in nature. Dog friendly, which is a plus for me and my furry hiking partner.

Paul Stetekluh

1 Completed1 Reviews

Lots of fun, the bridge is super awesome!

Kristine Harlan

Great hiking trail!

Felicia Pittman

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike with natural bridge being approximately the mid point. Prepare for wet feet. I personally wouldn't suggest this for small children (4 and under) they could tire very easily.

Susie Baldwin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great afternoon hike. Exceptional maintained trails. Your feet will get wet! Natural bridge great place to take a break!

Doug Neidholdt

581 Completed592 Reviews

Just returned to this special scenic area. Nice short 2.5 mile hike on a wonderfully laid out and maintained trail. The natural bridge is only one of four that I am aware of in the state. Must see.

Nat Turner

3 Completed3 Reviews

Nice trail. Sloping hills with a few creek crossings.

Tyler Crouch

1 Completed1 Reviews

Did it last weekend when the weather hit 72. Beautiful day and a nice short hike, took the kids. Trail was a little muddy in spots, nothing to bad. Had to cross the creek twice. People have made some foot bridges with rocks so I was able to make it across both times without soaking my shoes.

Graham Zimmerman

3 Completed1 Reviews

Well maintained trail save for a large oak down due to a recent storm. Took my dog down on a Saturday afternoon and we were the only ones there. Creekbed was fairly dry, but not uncommon for mid August. This is a hidden gem if you're looking for short hikes and beautiful views.

Mairi Storm

1 Completed1 Reviews

went looking for a trail to walk with our children and dogs.. and we found it! perfect trail for families!

Tiff Robinson

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great place to just get away from the human rat race