Fairy Lake Trail

#8 of 277 trails in Gallatin National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Fairy Lake Trail is a 1.2 mile loop trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jacob Henan (537)

22 Completed12 Reviews

Fairy Lake is a truly breath-taking alpine lake hidden in the Bridger Range. The road gets pretty rough about 2-3 mi from the lake, so bring a vehicle w/ some clearance (nothing TOO extreme necessary). The trail itself is a simple look that tends to hug the lake shore. The water is crystal clear; if you keep an eye on the water you'll often see schooling 15"+ cutthroats cruising for food. This hike isn't a very closely guarded secret, so don't expect to have the lake to yourself. Final thought, you can swim here, but even in early August, the water is FRIGID cold! But it's great for cooling off after hiking Sacajawea! :-)

Girlie Huie (826)

20 Completed13 Reviews

It's worth the drive going to Fairy Lake. The trail along the lake is pretty short and level and have a beautiful all around. Great place to hike with your families and swim afterwards. Camera would be very handy to capture the beauty of the place.

Ken Parelius (3107)

26 Completed6 Reviews

Wow, what an amazing place. My girlfriend and I just went up with the dogs for the first time over the weekend. Everyone enjoyed swimming in this beautiful, crystal clear lake and you can't get much better scenery. We definitely plan on coming back. The road up was not as bad as some people led us to believe (we were in a Chevy Malibu), although a high clearance vehicle would be preferable. We also stayed at the nearby campground which was free and offered great views as well.

Peg H. (161)

Don't miss this one! The views are breathtaking. Good hot day hike, lots of tree cover as you walk around the lake. Good places to go into the water which will definitely cool you off. My dogs love the swimming also.

Vicki A. (174)

This is an easy hike around a beautiful small lake. I saw one woman wearing rubber thongs. My GPS measured it as .80 mile, not 1.2. Be sure to bring bug spray for the biting flies, but it is well worth the trip. It was a beautiful drive to the trail, 23 miles of paved road from I-90 and 7th St.and then an additional 6 miles of dirt rd to the Trailhead. You don't need 4X, but a high clearance vehicle is recommended. The wild flowers off of the road in early July were amazing.

Meagan Evans (337)

14 Completed8 Reviews

I love this place! I have been going to Fairy Lake and wandering the trail since I was a little one. The trail is easy for anyone, little tike to grandmother, and offers wonderful views. The lake is very clear and picturesque. There is also a nice little picnic area above the lake to enjoy a nice summer picnic.

Tim Greenwood (152)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is a beautiful walk suitable for all ages. Fairy Lake is such a picturesque scene, absolutely pristine wilderness at its best! I would recommend this to everyone!

Support