Glacier National Park: Going-to-the-Sun Road (West Glacier to Saint Mary)

#8 of 134 trails in Glacier National Park
Glacier National Park: Going-to-the-Sun Road (West Glacier to Saint Mary) is a 48.7 mile point-to-point scenic drive located near Essex, Montana that features mountains, lakes, spectacular views and wildlife.

48.7 miles Point to Point 3493 feet
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
scenic driving dogs leash forest lake
Hide Map

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Montana's Glacier National Park spans 50 miles through the park's wild interior, winding around mountainsides and treating visitors to some of the best sights in northwest Montana and the whole US.

Going to the Sun detailed FAQS:

Jonathan Fulton

11 Completed11 Reviews

One of the best drives in the country! Nearly as amazing as the PCH. Make sure not to drive off the road by getting distracted!

Christian Murray

Arlain Hickman

4 Completed1 Reviews

James Webber

22 Completed12 Reviews

10/10. This is a must go. If you enjoy the outdoors you must come. Amazing views. Great hike at top. I keep coming back

Bill Watson

707 Completed216 Reviews

While you can drive this in 2-3 hours, we made a day out of the Going to the Sun Road, pulling over and taking several hikes along the way. Stops included McDonald Falls, Avalanche Lake (4 mi. RT), Birdwoman Falls Overlook, Weeping Wall, Hidden Lake Overlook Trail (3 mi. RT and had lots of snow along the trail in July!), Logan Pass VC, the start of the Highline Trail, Jackson Glacier Overlook, St. Mary's Falls, Sunrift Gorge Overlook, Baring Falls, Sunpoint Nature Trail, and the Wild Goose Island turnout. While the clouds were in an out, we stayed dry, saw Rocky Mountain Goats and Big Horn Sheep, as well as some really spectacular views. One of the most spectacular drives in the US. Not to miss!

Kerron Mitchell

7 Completed6 Reviews

July was hot and busy in Glacier N.P.! We had decided to go the week after Independence day and it was crowded! Despite that, we had the most fabulous trip! We saw so many beautiful things! We camped in the park the night before driving the "Going to the Sun" road and it was one of the most amazing sights I've seen in the US. Definitely in the top 10 Drives for me! The spectacular views, the waterfalls coming right over the road in spots, wildflowers everywhere and someone else to drive so I could take the pictures!
I will never forget that. I was astounded at the sheer rugged beauty that surrounded me. Amazing!