Highline Trail

MODERATE
#2 of 91 trails in Glacier National Park
Highline Trail is a 21.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Essex, MT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

kid friendly birding hiking nature trips walking forest views wild flowers wildlife no dogs
Hide Map

The High-Line trail runs from the Logan Pass Visitors Center to The Loop Trail Head along the Garden Wall. The first 7.6 miles of the trail in easy with gradual elevation climb. After Granite Park Chalet the trail drops 2,200 feet in 4 miles to the Loop Trail Head. Expect heavy traffic and be early if you plan to park at the visitors center. The trail in very narrow in some places with steep drop offs. There are three other trails that joint the Highland at Granite Park Chalet allowing of alternative hiking options.

ReBecca Hunt-Foster

19 Completed16 Reviews

One of my favorite hikes in Glacier. I have done it several times, including on my honeymoon. The hike from Granite Park up to the Grinnell Glacier overlook is very worth it as well! I like to hike it from Logan to the Bend ,and can be done in a long day. Haystack Butte is a great lunch spot as well.

Mary Young

3 Completed3 Reviews

One of the best trails in the US. Hiked to Granite Chalet, down to the loop. Don't miss it.

Monte Seymour

58 Completed24 Reviews

Did it last year and it is definitely one of the most beautiful hikes I have been privileged to do. Hiked four days in a row at Glacier and hope to return someday. If it is not on your bucket list this must be added.

Don Armenoff

5 Completed5 Reviews

BEAUTIFUL views.

Jonathan Fulton

11 Completed11 Reviews

One of the best hikes I've done. Great views the entire hike. I highly recommend adding in the steep 1.5 mile hike to see Grinnell Glacier from up on high. Brings the total to 15 miles or so but worth it. I'd do this again in a heartbeat. Make sure to start near the visitor center for the best experience.

Phill and Celia Magnuson

8 Completed6 Reviews

When we did this hike, the weather was unbelievable. Windy, rainy, thunder, lightning, sun, even hail. We weren't prepared to do the entire hike though we really want to go back and do it to completion. It was an amazing experience for the 6 or 7 miles we were able to do.

Stephanie Morrison

3 Completed2 Reviews

I'd consider this to be more difficult than its "easy" rating on AllTrails even if just for the distance alone. This was my first real hike which may explain the difficulty in some parts. We started at Logan's pass and hiked down to The Loop, which took us 5:51 total for the 11.8 mi trip. I'm from Florida and not used to these altitudes so I had a difficult time on the switchbacks leading up to Haystack Butte, though they were short. We saw several mountain goats on this section of the trail. The last 4 mi down from the Chalet were brutal. There were a ton of trees down which meant a lot of climbing over and under just to continue on the trail, which nearing killed my knees and shins. Even with overcast conditions & temps in the low 50s, the trail was beautiful. I was nervous reading the warnings directed to those afraid of heights, but I didn't have any issues. Completely worth the few difficulties mentioned. If you are also a novice, I would recommend getting some type of pedometer so you can pace yourself. There are few signs along the trail showing you how far out you are so we rushed as not to lose daylight since we had no idea how many miles until The Loop. (We were unprepared and had no map)

Josie Parsons

3 Completed2 Reviews

gorgeous views. You can start either at the loop and climb or start at the pass and descend.

Christian Murray

7 Completed5 Reviews

One of my favorite trail. amazing!!!

Roger Chesser

58 Completed11 Reviews

Weather forced us to stop at Haystack Butte, but the trek was still wonderful. The Highline Trail to Haystack Butte is fairly short, level and simply outstanding. Don’t be afraid of the portion along the edge with the cable. Most will never even need to grab it. Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, and Bears can frequent the trail. The Trek up to the Butte is one big switch back, but not too bad. The views go on forever.

brenda Morrison

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great trail with amazing views.

Mary Furman

3 Completed3 Reviews

This is a trail that has been in place since before the park was established. We went on a ranger- led hike so got a lot of information about the trail history, geology etc. narrow trail for most of it, but easy walk for about 31/2 hour total. We crossed many small streams. The weather was not the best--overcast and cold, snow flurries even but enjoyable nonetheless.

Natalya B

2 Completed2 Reviews

My all time favorite from glacier national park! I also hiked up to grinnel glacier on the way. so worth it.
this trail had amazing views throughout.

Ross Flynn

6 Completed6 Reviews

Breathtaking views, saw mountain goats & bighorn sheep, safe but significant exposure

Lucy Stun

9 Completed4 Reviews

Brian Fitzgerald

37 Completed4 Reviews

One of the best trails in Glacier NP. A must do hike.

Steve Karp

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail and amazing views.

Jose Loera