Highline Trail

#2 of 134 trails in Glacier National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Highline Trail is a 11.6 mile point-to-point trail located near Essex, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & nature trips and is accessible from July until September.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ben Millner (324)

8 Completed3 Reviews

It is a great trail with amazing views. I'd consider the hike as moderate with one or two strenuous parts so if you're looking for an easy hike with great views then I'd recommend this.
I almost gave it 4 stars cause it was the same amazing view the whole time. I want a hike that takes me places and I see different things. I also want a hike that challenges me a little more

Pamela B. (104)

One of our absolute favorite hikes, we are coming back for more exploration!

Dave Nance (571)

21 Completed21 Reviews

Maybe best hike in the U.S. Sharp drop off that feels like you would go a thousand feet if you fell. Cable with garden hose to assist, since the trail is very narrow and a bit scary. Slight uphill for 8 miles and after the Chalet it's 4 steep miles down. Stopping to warm up after 8 miles was amazing. Rained for half the hike, but still made it the best hike ever by far. One to compare all others to. Mountain goats only besides other small critters. Hog shuttle that runs every fifteen minutes back to the car at the top.

Tim Sunzeri (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome views along the entire trail. I'd recommend the additional 0.6 mile uphill hike right before Chalet. It's challenging making it up, but worth it.

Matt Nolan (577)

31 Completed31 Reviews

The best.

Tim Baugher (164)

3 Completed3 Reviews

I'll just echo what everyone else has been saying: Amazing in so many ways. I have a fear of heights and I was fine the entire way. It actually was quite peaceful being up so high above such an epic display of scenery. The chalet is such a welcome break before the final 4 mile downhill and I would HIGHLY recommend taking the additional trail up to the Grinnel Glacier overlook. It's crazy steep (900 feet in 0.6 mi) but very much worth it. I think this just ruined every other hike for me...

Michele Whisenhunt (746)

36 Completed34 Reviews

I actually did not complete this trail; I did about half of it and then others in my group wanted to turn around. I did not see an option for "part" of the trail. It is truly my favorite hike of all time--just gorgeous, wonderful, open vistas the entire time I was on the trail. Little waterfalls and flowers as well as interesting rocks kept it fun to explore. Cannot wait to do the while trail!

Anastacia Dreyer (258)

21 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike! Spectacular views, big horn sheep, mountain goats with a baby! Wild flowers in July, I agree one of the best hikes in the country!

Carmen Wilson (749)

53 Completed26 Reviews

M S (2678)

48 Completed22 Reviews

Relativity easy and very scenic. Highly recommended!

Support