Highline Trail

#2 of 134 trails in Glacier National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Highline Trail is a 11.6 mile point-to-point trail located near Essex, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & nature trips and is accessible from July until September.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Blake Behrens (245)

50 Completed3 Reviews

Kaitlyn Hekstra (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Some amazing views, simple to navigate, my favorite hike in the park.

jon lowell (69)

3 Completed3 Reviews

a must do hike. the only part i had a problem with is the last 3 miles that is all downhill. i have bad knees from college athletics and it really did a number on them. a hiking pole is highly recommended if you have less than perfect knees

Baird Linke (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Spectacular views over the whole trail and mountain goats with their kids from about half way out! Highly recommended!

Nicky B. (221)

Mike Row (889)

34 Completed29 Reviews

Chandra Emert (182)

26 Completed1 Reviews

If you hike this trail and you have the time and the energy to take to the spur trail to Glacier Overlook, DO IT! you won't regret it.

Ben Millner (344)

8 Completed3 Reviews

It is a great trail with amazing views. I'd consider the hike as moderate with one or two strenuous parts so if you're looking for an easy hike with great views then I'd recommend this.
I almost gave it 4 stars cause it was the same amazing view the whole time. I want a hike that takes me places and I see different things. I also want a hike that challenges me a little more

Pamela B. (104)

One of our absolute favorite hikes, we are coming back for more exploration!

Dave Nance (1232)

23 Completed23 Reviews

Maybe best hike in the U.S. Sharp drop off that feels like you would go a thousand feet if you fell. Cable with garden hose to assist, since the trail is very narrow and a bit scary. Slight uphill for 8 miles and after the Chalet it's 4 steep miles down. Stopping to warm up after 8 miles was amazing. Rained for half the hike, but still made it the best hike ever by far. One to compare all others to. Mountain goats only besides other small critters. Hog shuttle that runs every fifteen minutes back to the car at the top.

Support