Mystic Lake

#1 of 109 trails in Custer National Forest
Mystic Lake is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Fishtail, Montana. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

7.0 miles Out & Back 1200 feet
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
camping fishing fly fishing bugs dogs leash forest
Hide Map

Christine Kruger

9 Completed8 Reviews

This trail has everything you could want in a trail. Various terrain, various difficulties and glorious grand finale. We walked along a river, we walked in the woods, and we winded our way up the side of a boulder laid mountain. And then the lake! You come around the corner and if you don't get the biggest smile, you need to take a look at where you came from and then where you are. The lake is stunning. I will be making this trail a regular on my list for sure. There is camping at the base if you'd like to spend more time there. There seems to be plenty of fishing and climbing near. It's gonna be hard to top this one. I'd give it a 97 out of 100.

Kandi Shelden-Kerr

5 Completed5 Reviews

Jessica Carstens

Ian Anderson

25 Completed24 Reviews

Fun day hike with outstanding fishing. Really cool in winter when water in reservoir has dropped.

Melanie Schwab

1 Completed1 Reviews

Weekday morning hike was quite and peaceful. Took little over an hour to hike up.

Mike Cochran

2 Completed2 Reviews

Pretty busy trail. But worth it for the amazing views.

Joire Arliss

Hailey Heitz

1 Completed1 Reviews

it was my first time and it is an amazing hike with beautiful views. it may seem hard up but it is all worth it when you see the astonishing view at the top where Mystic Lake is.

Jeffery G.

Melissa Cox

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was a lot of fun but we will start earlier next time so we can make it to the next few lakes past mystic.