Mystic Lake Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 27 trails in Custer National Forest
Mystic Lake Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, MT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly camping fishing fly fishing hiking nature trips trail running walking horses forest lake river waterfall wild flowers wildlife bugs rocky
Hide Map

Corbin Downing

It was really fun

Paige Olson

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked the first week of March. One of the most beautiful hikes I've been on. Be wary of incoming snowstorms at the top. We made it to the Lake but were forced to descend as a blizzard was coming in. Was still sunny and gorgeous once we returned to the trailhead!

Jim Slack

26 Completed5 Reviews

Breathtaking. Absolutely beautiful. We went up in mid-November, so there was snow and ice along the way, but well worth it.

Jorja Campbell

1 Completed1 Reviews

Way cool--I would love to hike this trail. Funny, never heard of it until recently. And yeah, Roscoe, MT is named after my great great grandmother's (Nancy E. George Brown Morris) mare Roscoe. Next time I am in Montana, I am definitely checking this one out!

Christine Kruger

15 Completed15 Reviews

This trail has everything you could want in a trail. Various terrain, various difficulties and glorious grand finale. We walked along a river, we walked in the woods, and we winded our way up the side of a boulder laid mountain. And then the lake! You come around the corner and if you don't get the biggest smile, you need to take a look at where you came from and then where you are. The lake is stunning. I will be making this trail a regular on my list for sure. There is camping at the base if you'd like to spend more time there. There seems to be plenty of fishing and climbing near. It's gonna be hard to top this one. I'd give it a 97 out of 100.

Kandi Shelden-Kerr

6 Completed5 Reviews

Jessica Carstens

Ian Anderson

25 Completed24 Reviews

Fun day hike with outstanding fishing. Really cool in winter when water in reservoir has dropped.

Melanie Schwab

1 Completed1 Reviews

Weekday morning hike was quite and peaceful. Took little over an hour to hike up.

Mike Cochran

2 Completed2 Reviews

Pretty busy trail. But worth it for the amazing views.

Joire Arliss

Amazing!

Hailey Heitz

1 Completed1 Reviews

it was my first time and it is an amazing hike with beautiful views. it may seem hard up but it is all worth it when you see the astonishing view at the top where Mystic Lake is.

Jeffery G.

Melissa Cox

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was a lot of fun but we will start earlier next time so we can make it to the next few lakes past mystic.

Leon Odegaard

16 Completed12 Reviews

Beautiful view after you get to overlook with Dam & Lake. Rocky trail in spots and gain quite a bit of altitude.

Beverly Lindy

Moderate hike! Beautiful!

Katie Lehman

15 Completed13 Reviews

This was a different hike for us; we were hung-over-which made it a bit harder and we had more frequent stop, and we thought it a good idea to go for a hike in the rain, it was still beautiful and the low hanging clouds created an ominous fog that lingered in the trees, unfortunately the fog also prevented us from seeing the lake when we made it to the top. So we will be going back and doing this hike again!

Shanice Dawson

2 Completed3 Reviews

Meghan Burnaman

7 Completed7 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a fun hike with a beautiful view of the lake at the top - and you don't get any sneak peeks before then. The trail is well maintained but rocky in areas from what appears to be rock slides down the mountain. I have a small dog that likes to go on hikes, but I am glad I opted out of bringing him as some of the rocks are very sharp and a bit wobbly. This trail had quite a few people when we went - but it was the summer and on a weekend. At the top on the lake there were quite a few people fishing and a few brave souls swimming! There are nice rock beaches where you can relax for a bit before heading back down.

Next time, I'd like to go a little further to Island Lake

travis garritson

4 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike. I recommend setting up camp about a mile and a half down the trail once you get to the lake. Then, take the trail about two miles further to Island Lake. Great fishing, as well.