Mystic Lake

#1 of 109 trails in Custer National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mystic Lake is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Fishtail, Montana. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

Icon_d8de440094e2fa9905c063f2c214ea3b

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike. The only detraction would be rude people not cleaning up after their dogs. :-(

Person_placeholder

63 Completed 61 Reviews

great hike to an enormous mountain lake

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Our Youth Group was there July 19-20 2013 and it was amazing. Gorgeous. The hike up to the lake and around it was pretty intense with the big elevation climb. But it was well worth the effort for the beauty to see one of God's hidden treasures!

6 Completed 1 Reviews

Gorgeous!! Lots of different kind s of terrain. Lake is really low this year but caught a decent amount of fish! Island lake is beautiful. That is the place to camp if you do an over night! A must see!

Icon_

96 Completed 14 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a pleasant hike, though the fact that its a reservoir is a bit distracting for me. "Aha, the pipe along the mountain side I saw on the way up is an aqueduct." Being somewhat of a purist, in my opinion, a backcountry destination that hasn't been altered is more appealing. According to the map, if a person continued down the trail to Island Lake you would set foot in a genuine wilderness area. I will give a plus for the scenic beauty that surrounds Mystic Lake. In addition, at the trailhead, I recall seeing a sign indicating grizzly bear activity. Once again, being somewhat of a purist, I guess I would consider that another plus.

11 Completed 10 Reviews

Beautiful hike all the way around. My dog loved playing in the lake after the hike up. Not to difficult to get to either.

0 Completed 2 Reviews

This is a very popular trail, and a good family hike. Mainly a day hike, although there are many camping spots. Want a longer hike? Keep going and you'll reach Island, then Silver Lake. Both are a short distance away from Mystic Lake.
It's a beautiful trail (I had my senior pictures taken off of the trailhead a few summers back.)
Also at Mystic is a huge dam, which suprisingly doesn't take away any of the beauty of the mountain lake.

Support