Mystic Lake

#1 of 109 trails in Custer National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mystic Lake is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Fishtail, Montana. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Roger Himmel (88)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Fairly easy hike. In between easy to moderate. Great views through out the whole trail, def a must see. Parts of the trail is rocky, but its fairly easy. I had my dog along, and she completed it with ease.

Joshua Sizemore (174)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike. Beginning is easy but becomes a straight uphill rocky hike at end. Definitely worth it when you see the lake.

We backpacked in which was easy and there are plenty of places to call home. Bring lots of water and a fishing pole. It's a fun overnighter.

Dave Simon (205)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a beautiful reward for a fairly short, but uphill hike on terrain varying from dirt trail covered in pine needles to sharp and sometimes unstable chunks for granite. Definitely watch your footing on the switchbacks, because there are plenty of spots to take a tumble.

I think the my favorite part is the fact that you really don't see the lake until the very end of your climb. You know it is there, but then voila, there's this beautiful mountain lake below you. Of course, once you make your way down there, there are some nice fishing spots and places to just hang out. Those with canine companions will note that their buddy will likely immediately jump in. You may be as well, but not for long, that water is COLD.

Speaking of those with canine buddies. This is a trail to definitely check your pal's paws to make sure there aren't any cuts. I brought VetraCare liquid bandage just in case as well as some other K9 first-aid (as I do on all trips.) Also, though there are a couple of small crossings early in the hike, plan to take some water for your buddy because after the second crossing, there aren't any sources of water that they can get to until the lake.

To the two young ladies I saw making their way down in flip-flops: You are crazy! I bet you bring better footwear next time.

Christina Ross (271)

47 Completed7 Reviews

Rugged but do-able hike to a rewarding gorgeous lake and dam.

David Kelly (130)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike. The only detraction would be rude people not cleaning up after their dogs. :-(

casey grote (2538)

63 Completed61 Reviews

great hike to an enormous mountain lake

Justin Steele (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Our Youth Group was there July 19-20 2013 and it was amazing. Gorgeous. The hike up to the lake and around it was pretty intense with the big elevation climb. But it was well worth the effort for the beauty to see one of God's hidden treasures!

Beth Blakeman (226)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Gorgeous!! Lots of different kind s of terrain. Lake is really low this year but caught a decent amount of fish! Island lake is beautiful. That is the place to camp if you do an over night! A must see!

Kara Jordan (641)

100 Completed14 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a pleasant hike, though the fact that its a reservoir is a bit distracting for me. "Aha, the pipe along the mountain side I saw on the way up is an aqueduct." Being somewhat of a purist, in my opinion, a backcountry destination that hasn't been altered is more appealing. According to the map, if a person continued down the trail to Island Lake you would set foot in a genuine wilderness area. I will give a plus for the scenic beauty that surrounds Mystic Lake. In addition, at the trailhead, I recall seeing a sign indicating grizzly bear activity. Once again, being somewhat of a purist, I guess I would consider that another plus.

Kimberly Hoekman (663)

12 Completed11 Reviews

Beautiful hike all the way around. My dog loved playing in the lake after the hike up. Not to difficult to get to either.

Support