Mystic Lake

#1 of 109 trails in Custer National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mystic Lake is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Fishtail, Montana. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

Person_placeholder

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike. Beginning is easy but becomes a straight uphill rocky hike at end. Definitely worth it when you see the lake.

We backpacked in which was easy and there are plenty of places to call home. Bring lots of water and a fishing pole. It's a fun overnighter.

8 Completed 3 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a beautiful reward for a fairly short, but uphill hike on terrain varying from dirt trail covered in pine needles to sharp and sometimes unstable chunks for granite. Definitely watch your footing on the switchbacks, because there are plenty of spots to take a tumble.

I think the my favorite part is the fact that you really don't see the lake until the very end of your climb. You know it is there, but then voila, there's this beautiful mountain lake below you. Of course, once you make your way down there, there are some nice fishing spots and places to just hang out. Those with canine companions will note that their buddy will likely immediately jump in. You may be as well, but not for long, that water is COLD.

Speaking of those with canine buddies. This is a trail to definitely check your pal's paws to make sure there aren't any cuts. I brought VetraCare liquid bandage just in case as well as some other K9 first-aid (as I do on all trips.) Also, though there are a couple of small crossings early in the hike, plan to take some water for your buddy because after the second crossing, there aren't any sources of water that they can get to until the lake.

To the two young ladies I saw making their way down in flip-flops: You are crazy! I bet you bring better footwear next time.

46 Completed 7 Reviews

Rugged but do-able hike to a rewarding gorgeous lake and dam.

Icon_d8de440094e2fa9905c063f2c214ea3b

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike. The only detraction would be rude people not cleaning up after their dogs. :-(

Person_placeholder

63 Completed 61 Reviews

great hike to an enormous mountain lake

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Our Youth Group was there July 19-20 2013 and it was amazing. Gorgeous. The hike up to the lake and around it was pretty intense with the big elevation climb. But it was well worth the effort for the beauty to see one of God's hidden treasures!

6 Completed 1 Reviews

Gorgeous!! Lots of different kind s of terrain. Lake is really low this year but caught a decent amount of fish! Island lake is beautiful. That is the place to camp if you do an over night! A must see!

Icon_

100 Completed 14 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a pleasant hike, though the fact that its a reservoir is a bit distracting for me. "Aha, the pipe along the mountain side I saw on the way up is an aqueduct." Being somewhat of a purist, in my opinion, a backcountry destination that hasn't been altered is more appealing. According to the map, if a person continued down the trail to Island Lake you would set foot in a genuine wilderness area. I will give a plus for the scenic beauty that surrounds Mystic Lake. In addition, at the trailhead, I recall seeing a sign indicating grizzly bear activity. Once again, being somewhat of a purist, I guess I would consider that another plus.

11 Completed 10 Reviews

Beautiful hike all the way around. My dog loved playing in the lake after the hike up. Not to difficult to get to either.

0 Completed 2 Reviews

This is a very popular trail, and a good family hike. Mainly a day hike, although there are many camping spots. Want a longer hike? Keep going and you'll reach Island, then Silver Lake. Both are a short distance away from Mystic Lake.
It's a beautiful trail (I had my senior pictures taken off of the trailhead a few summers back.)
Also at Mystic is a huge dam, which suprisingly doesn't take away any of the beauty of the mountain lake.

Support