Mystic Lake

#1 of 109 trails in Custer National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mystic Lake is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Fishtail, Montana. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jeffery G. (79)

Melissa Cox (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was a lot of fun but we will start earlier next time so we can make it to the next few lakes past mystic.

Leon Odegaard (605)

13 Completed9 Reviews

Beautiful view after you get to overlook with Dam & Lake. Rocky trail in spots and gain quite a bit of altitude.

Beverly Lindy (121)

Moderate hike! Beautiful!

Katie Lehman (317)

12 Completed10 Reviews

This was a different hike for us; we were hung-over-which made it a bit harder and we had more frequent stop, and we thought it a good idea to go for a hike in the rain, it was still beautiful and the low hanging clouds created an ominous fog that lingered in the trees, unfortunately the fog also prevented us from seeing the lake when we made it to the top. So we will be going back and doing this hike again!

Shanice Dawson (39)

Meghan Burnaman (503)

7 Completed7 Reviews

Mystic Lake is a fun hike with a beautiful view of the lake at the top - and you don't get any sneak peeks before then. The trail is well maintained but rocky in areas from what appears to be rock slides down the mountain. I have a small dog that likes to go on hikes, but I am glad I opted out of bringing him as some of the rocks are very sharp and a bit wobbly. This trail had quite a few people when we went - but it was the summer and on a weekend. At the top on the lake there were quite a few people fishing and a few brave souls swimming! There are nice rock beaches where you can relax for a bit before heading back down.

Next time, I'd like to go a little further to Island Lake

travis garritson (42)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike. I recommend setting up camp about a mile and a half down the trail once you get to the lake. Then, take the trail about two miles further to Island Lake. Great fishing, as well.

Roger Himmel (88)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Fairly easy hike. In between easy to moderate. Great views through out the whole trail, def a must see. Parts of the trail is rocky, but its fairly easy. I had my dog along, and she completed it with ease.

Joshua Sizemore (207)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Great hike. Beginning is easy but becomes a straight uphill rocky hike at end. Definitely worth it when you see the lake.

We backpacked in which was easy and there are plenty of places to call home. Bring lots of water and a fishing pole. It's a fun overnighter.

Support