Stanton Lake

#6 of 143 trails in Flathead National Forest
Stanton Lake is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Essex, Montana and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October.

4.0 miles Out & Back 250 feet
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
fishing fly fishing hiking dogs leash lake kids
Hide Map

Curtiss Notch

4 Completed4 Reviews

One of my favorites all year, great parking/staging area and a perfect round trip distance. Popular trail and I'm rarely the only vehicle in the lot especially in spring, summer and fall. I would put this lake at 1 mile from the parking area, maybe a little more, and you can walk another half mile or so along it's length....not sure where they get the 4 mile distance? I suppose you could make it a 4 mi. round trip if you wanted. This is also a great lake to hike/snowshoe in the winter and is perfect for winter camping as you're less than an hour from your vehicle if there's a problem or if you really want to pack in extra gear making more than one trip. My dogs love it and I let them run off leash depending on how busy it is. This is also a great way to access Great Northern Peak as Stanton Lk. sits closely behind to the ENE. Traditionally GN is accessed from the WSW via Hungry Horse Res. east side road, but I don't know if there is a trail from Stanton Lk or Grant Ridge Tr.

Ian Anderson

25 Completed24 Reviews

Easy well traveled hike

Kim Kehoe

4 Completed2 Reviews

Tim Gratny

7 Completed1 Reviews

It is the perfect hike! It is uphill for a little bit then downhill all the way to the lake. The trail goes to the far end of the lake so you can stop and fish or go off of the trail to the lake almost any time you want. It is bigger than I expected too with really great mountain views. It takes about a half hour to get to the lake (faster on the way back)

Cara Webb

23 Completed8 Reviews

Fairly easy hike, with great views of the backside of the Great Northern. I have hiked and snowshoed the trail, and actually prefer the hike in the winter!
Lots of bear signs in the summer, but none sighted. There is a cool ridgeline hike (Grant Ridge?) that leaves from the same trailhead.