Cathedral Rock Trail

#5 of 221 trails in Toiyabe National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cathedral Rock Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located in Mt. Charleston, Nevada, which is only 35 miles from Las Vegas, Nevada. It's one of the most popular trails in Mt. Charleston.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Gerard Bonfils (4657)

40 Completed35 Reviews

I hiked to Cathedral rock a day after going to Charleston Peak via the Trail Canyon trail; this was a way for me to "cool down" progressively after a fairly taxing climb to the peak for my 60 years old legs.

The ratio of difficulty to rewards certainly makes this hike a must do for those visiting the Mt Charleston area. You will likely not be alone on the trail as Cathedral rock if understandably the most popular hike around Kyle Canyon; however the trail is well maintained enough and the 'summit' is wide enough to accommodate a sustained stream of visitors.

The views are many and stunning (view of the "rock" itself as you go up, of the "Mummy" to the North, of the South canyon walls, of Kyle Canyon in its entirety, of Charleston Peak to the West... so much in such a short walk).

Should I return to Kyle Canyon at some point, I will likely do this hike again. I would start early to avoid a bit of congestion and see the valley in the more interesting morning light.

Cynthia Murff (622)

29 Completed7 Reviews

Hike is now open. All up hill with a beautiful view of the Mt. Charleston valley. Short trail with a rewarding view.

Surrounding hikes (Little falls, Echo, and Griffith) seem to still be closed from the fire.

Mary Z. (88)

This hike has re-opened! Great view! Strenuous, high altitude.

Jack Mabry (169)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Cathedral Rock Trail is closed, due to fire.

Henry Pratt (404)

15 Completed3 Reviews

I heard that this trail is closed due to the fire last year.

Brian Mejia (287)

10 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike. Prepare yourself though because you're pretty much climbing the whole wa y. Enjoy!

Janelle Meredith Wilcox (796)

8 Completed4 Reviews

View is great! Short, nice hike. Some lengthy inclines on part on your way up but not difficult.

jeremy leinan (329)

5 Completed4 Reviews

this was a great hike to spend a few hours on... we went up to start tackling some of the trails on the mountain and to get out of the valley's heat of the summer. the trail was pretty well kept and it sort of surprised me (pleasantly) to see the change in types of foliage as we ascended. haven't been out hiking or keeping up on the fitness much this year so tackling this trail was a bit more strenuous than it should have been but the view was worth every moment and the feeling of accomplishment was great at the end. even with numerous stops on the way up and a short lunch taking in the view we completed the trip right about on time with what the trail head states. definitely will head to this trail again...

James G. (424)

W O W the view from the top is AWESOME. This is my favorite of the three I did that weekend.There is a 15 minute "guided tour" podcast which can be downloaded to make the hike more interesting. Unfortunately I could not get it down loaded at the traihead. I will do it in advance next time.

Y. M. (844)

13 Completed10 Reviews

Great trail with great views throughout. It is an easy trail with a few spots where a bit of moderate climbing over rocks is required. The trail is very well maintained and you will not get lost. Beautiful little flowers and butterflies are everywhere. We also took a peak at the "waterfall". It was great to get away from the 100+ degree weather in Vegas and the view at the top was worth it.

Support