Hunter Creek Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mogul Park
Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

5.71 miles Out & Back 1784 feet
Dog Friendly
hiking horses dogs forest views
Hide Map

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

Kathleen Wingate

2 Completed1 Reviews

William Moody

1 Completed2 Reviews

double checked my post..oops.. my gps read 7.38 miles. I figure to add another .2 miles from the Creek back to the parking lot. total about 7.58. enjoy!

William Moody

1 Completed2 Reviews

This was an amazing trail! (Even though it started off a little bit muddy). you had every imaginable surface you could hike on... there was mud..and plenty of it.. but also rocks, snow and some ice.. a Little challenging but the frozen icicle waterfall at the end was just beautiful! one thing about the stated distance though.. I started my tracker after we crossed the Creek.. by the time we returned to the parking lot it showed 7.8 miles in to the falls and back. I've read other comments saying similar things so they must've measured it originally as a Straight Line measurement... oh yeah if you Plan to do this anytime soon.. wear good water proof hiking Boots at least ankle High.. the mud is slick and ice is ice but the terrain is uneven and soft .. easy to turn an ankle.. be sure to wear layers.. it was 10 am when we started @ about 42 degrees.. by the first mike I was down to my bottom two layers and within the next mike I was only wearing my pack and t shirt.. I wouldn't say it is hard but definitely High ride of medium difficulty. The Canyon has a good GPS and Cell signal all the way to the falls. Enjoy!

Johnny Roth

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike! Camped over night near the falls. Will hike this one again.

Paige E.

dennis kimsey

9 Completed9 Reviews

Found the trail fairly easy sloped all the way to the waterfall. There is a trail south of the waterfall that goes further up the canyon and by the maps goes all the way to hunter lake! Me and my dogs enjou=yued the hike!

Matthew Yelle

4 Completed2 Reviews

I did this hike the day after a good rain fell and there was a very slight drizzle at points during my hike. When I started in the morning it was a little muddy and a couple I walked past advised me to turn around because it was too muddy. But I looked down at their feet and saw they had lightweight jogging shoes while I had my waterproof hiking boots. I kept going and had no real problems with the mud. You walk along hunter creek most of the hike and there are some really great views. The last 1/2 mile or so takes you into some lush forest and eventually the waterfall. This was the best part of the hike for me. With all the recent rain it reminded me of hiking through the coastal California forests. By the time I came down most of the muddy spots had dried up. I had a great hike overall and would love to do it again, but I probably wouldn't have liked it as much on a hot, dry summer day. Most of the hike is very exposed so I could see it getting very hot in the summer

Sally -

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hiking trail. My phone mapped it at 6.8 miles total not 5.2, but the gorgeous views and waterfall at the end are well worth the hike. The first 3/4 of the trail are exposed, offering great views but little shade. I recommend going when the weather is cooler.

Adam Cress

11 Completed3 Reviews

Definitely the go-to local hike. Beautiful any time of year.

Karen Gonzalez

4 Completed3 Reviews

One of our favorite trails. The waterfall at the end is beautiful. The trail is very exposed for the majority of the hike so I don't recommend going too late in the day.