Hunter Creek Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mogul Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

Parking and Restrooms at the trail head.

Nevada Commission on Tourism, 401 N. Carson Street , Carson City, NV, 89701

2 Completed 2 Reviews

I completed this hike on Saturday, July 5. A group of friends and I started the trail at 7:40 am and returned to our cars at 10:45 am. The hike to the waterfall is a pleasant out-and-back trail. The terrain is very rocky at times and most of the trail is exposed to the sun. Hiking in the early morning in the summer is ideal.

7 Completed 8 Reviews

I went in the winter, when there was snow and ice on the waterfall. Beautiful, and not too difficult

Icon_

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Fun hike. Trail crews were working on trail and doing a great job! Took me about 2.5 hrs hoofin' it. Ran into a rattlesnake not 20 ft from the bottom of the falls.

Person_placeholder

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Hiked it this morning--early in the day makes a lack of shade a non-issue. Official Strava stats: 3.2 miles from parking lot to waterfall; 2.6 miles from parking lot to beautiful shaded portion of trail; 1,245 foot elevation gain. Took us about 1.5 hours up at a leisurely pace. Beautiful photo ops at the waterfall. River crossings--rocks/logs--were no problem. Great half-day hike.

8 Completed 4 Reviews

Went up with 2 dogs. Lots of water is a must because there is not a lot of shade!! I wish I started out earlier in the day because it was quite hot. I did not get all the way to the waterfall because the pups got tired. There were rattlesnakes out so watch out, especially the dogs. Some parts were rocky and rough terrain for the little dogs paws but they loved the cold stream! I plan on going back!

Person_placeholder

K O

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Very nice trail, easy to moderate difficulty. Didn't make it all the way to the waterfall, had a little run-in with a bear on the trail. He didn't really notice me, even though I was within 30 feet or so. He was walking away from me as I rounded a corner on the trail, and just kept slowly going his way. He was brown, about 300-400 lbs. Neat experience, I hear its a rare encounter. I'd just recommend keeping and eye out as you get closer to the falls, where it gets more woodsy with tall pines, and maybe keep your dogs leashed or close-by in that area.

2 Completed 4 Reviews

rated 4 stars due to a lack of trail-rating knowledge. we left at 1 pm on an 80 temp day in reno and arrived at the waterfall 70 minutes later. there was a nice breeze throughout the trail and pretty cool transition from high desert to forest. having just moved back to the west after 5 years in iowa i am not in great shape and not used to the altitudes but did fine. first 2/3 of trail is in the sun and the last is covered pretty good. we had a great time. i will be sore tomorrow;-)

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Really pretty but not any shade till u get towards the end. Took me about 1:45 to get to the water fall and only 45 minutes to get back out. My dogs had fun also but there are a few parts that get kind of rocky. Would defiantly do it again.

8 Completed 3 Reviews

Hiked on Good Friday . . . awesome hike! Haven't been up there in a couple of years, so I really appreciated the new restroom, picnic and parking additions!

Icon_