Hunter Creek Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mogul Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

David Bauer (77)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Walked the trail for the first time with my wife(her third time). Great hike with some really cool scenery. Legs where burning up and down...!! We made it to the falls in 70 minutes.

Vic Williams (91)

1 Completed1 Reviews

With its trailhead seven minutes from my front door, I was way overdue to hike all the way up to the waterfall along Hunter Creek, about 2.75 miles in. The first two-thirds traverse the western slope of Hunter Creek canyon, with a timely shade-tree/photo spot about a mile in. The last third is gorgeous, winding through alpine forest Douglas fir and lodgepole pine, before you cross the creek just below the waterfall. Then the 20-odd-foot-high falls come into view, and since it sits in a natural amphitheater of shade and spray, make sure to bring a lunch and hang out. At a leisurely pace it's about 90 minutes up and an hour back. Wear solid hiking boots as you'll cross some slippery rockfall in three spots. The trail continues for another three miles up to Hunter Lake, but thanks to a recent wildfire, that section is ostensibly closed for vegetation recovery. Overall it's a lovely, fairly strenuous adventure into the Carson Range.

Melinda Warner (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

September 2 - followed the advice and hit the trail at 7:15 am. Sun wasn't peeking over the hills for half an hour. Made it there in 65 minutes and back in 55. I had an appointment at 10 am to get to otherwise I would have rested at the waterfall in admiring relief. Nice little workout, and very picturesque, but be careful. I ran some and almost sprained an ankle.

Katharine Schweitzer (80)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I completed this hike on Saturday, July 5. A group of friends and I started the trail at 7:40 am and returned to our cars at 10:45 am. The hike to the waterfall is a pleasant out-and-back trail. The terrain is very rocky at times and most of the trail is exposed to the sun. Hiking in the early morning in the summer is ideal.

Steven Newcomb (183)

7 Completed8 Reviews

I went in the winter, when there was snow and ice on the waterfall. Beautiful, and not too difficult

Eric Toepfer (213)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Fun hike. Trail crews were working on trail and doing a great job! Took me about 2.5 hrs hoofin' it. Ran into a rattlesnake not 20 ft from the bottom of the falls.

Douglas Higham Sr (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked it this morning--early in the day makes a lack of shade a non-issue. Official Strava stats: 3.2 miles from parking lot to waterfall; 2.6 miles from parking lot to beautiful shaded portion of trail; 1,245 foot elevation gain. Took us about 1.5 hours up at a leisurely pace. Beautiful photo ops at the waterfall. River crossings--rocks/logs--were no problem. Great half-day hike.

Sarah O'Neil (177)

8 Completed4 Reviews

Went up with 2 dogs. Lots of water is a must because there is not a lot of shade!! I wish I started out earlier in the day because it was quite hot. I did not get all the way to the waterfall because the pups got tired. There were rattlesnakes out so watch out, especially the dogs. Some parts were rocky and rough terrain for the little dogs paws but they loved the cold stream! I plan on going back!

K O. (56)

Very nice trail, easy to moderate difficulty. Didn't make it all the way to the waterfall, had a little run-in with a bear on the trail. He didn't really notice me, even though I was within 30 feet or so. He was walking away from me as I rounded a corner on the trail, and just kept slowly going his way. He was brown, about 300-400 lbs. Neat experience, I hear its a rare encounter. I'd just recommend keeping and eye out as you get closer to the falls, where it gets more woodsy with tall pines, and maybe keep your dogs leashed or close-by in that area.

Ryan Peterson (130)

2 Completed4 Reviews

rated 4 stars due to a lack of trail-rating knowledge. we left at 1 pm on an 80 temp day in reno and arrived at the waterfall 70 minutes later. there was a nice breeze throughout the trail and pretty cool transition from high desert to forest. having just moved back to the west after 5 years in iowa i am not in great shape and not used to the altitudes but did fine. first 2/3 of trail is in the sun and the last is covered pretty good. we had a great time. i will be sore tomorrow;-)

Support