Hunter Creek Trail

Reno, NV
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

Parking and Restrooms at the trail head.

Nevada Commission on Tourism, 401 N. Carson Street , Carson City, NV, 89701

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Lots of scenery! Beautiful.......... but I am out of shape so it took my 5 and half hours to finish it. Also due to the fact we didnt bring enough water! Bring lots of water. Very uphill with different terrain so wear good shoes!! Also if you have a dog try to protect the feet of they havent been out and about alot.

6 Completed 4 Reviews

I love this hike it's one of my favorites! !

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I've done this hike a few times, but I am wondering if camping is allowed up here...

Person_placeholder

3 Completed 1 Reviews

A group of us went today. We got an early start at 9:15am and finished at 1:00pm. Mostly due to me being out of shape and needing to break for air on the way up. When I made it to the water fall it was covered in shade and the fall was iced still a bit. I recommend doing this hike in the spring or getting a really early start in the summer to beat the heat. You are exposed for the first two miles or so until you get into the trees. I think it would be a good fall hike too because the aspen trees are thick by the creek. This simply put was
beautiful and a great workout. I look forward to doing it again.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike, not difficult at all. the waterfall was totally worth it.

8 Completed 5 Reviews

I would say this hike is longer than 5.2 miles. The first 3/4 of the way to the waterfall is a sage brush hike on the edge of a mountain. Some areas of the trail are covered by rock land slides which makes it feel more like an adventure! The last 1/4 before the waterfall turns into a forest hike that is beautiful. My seven year old was able to do the hike but he's a pretty good hiker. Well used trail, will run into several people and dogs.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My friend and I did this trail yesterday and we got there at 8am. Nice and cold, started with a base layer and a light fleece but ended up taking the fleece and beanie off. Very icy the closer you get to the waterfall but a nice challenge. The waterfall is partially frozen so nice to take photos of.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

My family and I did this hike for the first time in Jan it was a 50 degree day and haven't had much snow fall lately....that being said it's a nice trail well traveled w ran into 6 other couples not many inclines but very muddy and very slippery at this time of the year...rough terrain in some sections but omg don't give up the different environmental levels warm to snow shady to pines the waterfall was amazing!!!! A must do hike

Icon_

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Really nice hike right in the foothills. Single track w varied terrain: hard pack, rocky, gravel, snow and ice in winter...and goes right along the creek for a nice trickling sound track to your hike. Easy access and you can chose from two trails 100 yards from the trailhead. Don't be intimidated by the rating. I give it a Difficult minus...my 12 yo nephew handled it like a billy goat. Have fun!

8 Completed 5 Reviews

I was looking for a little more of a challenge from the 'moderate' hikes I always do. It was definitely that for me, and I loved it! Steady uphill climb the entire way to the waterfalls. Lots of loose gravel and dirt which makes slipping very easy coming back downhill. I would not recommend this one for a beginner hiker.

Support