Hunter Creek Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mogul Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Josefina Izquierdo (96)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike! However, it isn't 5.2 miles. I tracked it and its almost 8 miles there and back. THe way up takes about 2 or 2.5 hours, if you run the way back you can make it to your car in about 45 minutes to 1 hour. THERE ARE RATTLESNAKES!! I nearly stepped on one on my second visit to the hike on 5/9/15.. It was near the begining of the trail. Don't let you guard down, because that's when I almost stepped on it.

Kashmir Martin (78)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great hike for this time of year. I left early--about 7:30. We were the first ones to reach the waterfall. It's a nice spot to eat a sandwich and relax before heading back down the mountain. Bring water! My recommendation is to leave early to avoid traffic on the narrow trail and to avoid the heat.

Dirk Onosaki (61)

Great trail

Lisa Jones (292)

4 Completed1 Reviews

If Walt Disney created a hike, this would be it. I would classify this trail as moderate. I assume it is considered difficult due to the elevation gain but it's gradual. Even the rocky portions are pretty tame especially if you use hiking poles (I use one). Google map wanted to keep me driving past the parking area for the trail head but the road was closed at that portion anyway so it was pretty obvious were to park and start. Will make this an annual Mother's Day tradition while my son is attending Nevada.

Robert Tillotson (50)

7 Completed2 Reviews

The Evermanns (117)

4 Completed3 Reviews

great hike to the falls. overview says rated as difficult but I would say more moderate. mostly uphill all the way to the falls but nothing really if you are in any kind of shape. the falls are nice, nothing spectacular though.

Le'lani Muao (104)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My two friends and I went on this trail for our first hike ever and it was absolutely great. We started the trail at around 8:40AM and reached the waterfall at around 10 and stayed there for a while. We then made it back at around 12. A little more than the first half of the trail was open without shade. The second half is shaded until you reach the waterfall. I suggest bringing a lot of water and good shoes for traction because the trail is narrow and some rocky parts are a little unstable. Overall, it was a beautiful hike with a rewarding finish.

Ana Jimenez (68)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing hike! Went with my husband and our 4 kiddos. Only thing I did not like is the narrow trails and steepness. On the way back from the falls, we felt the hike was dangerous as our equilibrium dragged us down. We as adults fell multiple times as well as the children. Other than that, it's was an amazing hike and worth it!!!

Joshua Crunk (36)

Pearly Anchor (72)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail! Two hours uphill + one hour down hill= 3 hours total. This is our first hike and was challenging yet gratifying! Tip: Make sure your shoes have good traction. Loved this trek. Will do it again!

Support