Hunter Creek Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mogul Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Le'lani Muao (104)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My two friends and I went on this trail for our first hike ever and it was absolutely great. We started the trail at around 8:40AM and reached the waterfall at around 10 and stayed there for a while. We then made it back at around 12. A little more than the first half of the trail was open without shade. The second half is shaded until you reach the waterfall. I suggest bringing a lot of water and good shoes for traction because the trail is narrow and some rocky parts are a little unstable. Overall, it was a beautiful hike with a rewarding finish.

Ana Jimenez (68)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Amazing hike! Went with my husband and our 4 kiddos. Only thing I did not like is the narrow trails and steepness. On the way back from the falls, we felt the hike was dangerous as our equilibrium dragged us down. We as adults fell multiple times as well as the children. Other than that, it's was an amazing hike and worth it!!!

Joshua Crunk (36)

Pearly Anchor (72)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail! Two hours uphill + one hour down hill= 3 hours total. This is our first hike and was challenging yet gratifying! Tip: Make sure your shoes have good traction. Loved this trek. Will do it again!

Boo Dick (77)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Steve Kurlinski (89)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Beautiful!! I do fear the "Hard" rating might keep some from experiencing this lovely hike. The trail does ascend a lot from the parking lot to the falls, but not steeply, and it is well groomed, even with the ice and snow we had. Well worth it.

Angie Poston (117)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Just hiked/walked this trail, absolutely worth it once you get to the waterfall! As someone has already said the 2nd half is the best! Really nice.

Gen Shib (1011)

3 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hike. Especially, the second half has lots of trees and ground is nicely covered with leaves and soft. After reaching the waterfall, if you feel adventurous, you can climb 800 ft to the peak half mile from the waterfall and see a great view of Reno.

David Bauer (77)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Walked the trail for the first time with my wife(her third time). Great hike with some really cool scenery. Legs where burning up and down...!! We made it to the falls in 70 minutes.

Vic Williams (91)

1 Completed1 Reviews

With its trailhead seven minutes from my front door, I was way overdue to hike all the way up to the waterfall along Hunter Creek, about 2.75 miles in. The first two-thirds traverse the western slope of Hunter Creek canyon, with a timely shade-tree/photo spot about a mile in. The last third is gorgeous, winding through alpine forest Douglas fir and lodgepole pine, before you cross the creek just below the waterfall. Then the 20-odd-foot-high falls come into view, and since it sits in a natural amphitheater of shade and spray, make sure to bring a lunch and hang out. At a leisurely pace it's about 90 minutes up and an hour back. Wear solid hiking boots as you'll cross some slippery rockfall in three spots. The trail continues for another three miles up to Hunter Lake, but thanks to a recent wildfire, that section is ostensibly closed for vegetation recovery. Overall it's a lovely, fairly strenuous adventure into the Carson Range.

Support