Oak Creek (Red Rock Canyon)

#9 of 34 trails in Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Diverse canyon offers plenty to do, not the least of which is watching climbers

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Thea Lawatsch (56)

1 Completed2 Reviews

To Elaine and others who take horses on walking trails...not to say that I wouldn't enjoy horseback riding! BUT when your horseback riding on WALKING - HIKING trails, sorry to say but the horse feces on the trails are horrible along with the many, many flies the feces attract. Just saying?? Something to think about the next time you go horseback riding and to maybe be conscience of those of us on foot.

Thea Lawatsch (56)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike with my nephew! We never made it to the creek but awesome trails through rocks, trees, and the canyon. Next time we're going even further!! And did I mention the beautiful views.

Jeff Farihi (248)

19 Completed8 Reviews

Just finished hiking and got a good workout. Nice place to go instead of gambling.... Lol. I ventured off trail and over some rock formations that were challenging and I was rewarded with views that were beautiful. I will definitely be back when I come back to vegas.

Tim Todd (10561)

884 Completed130 Reviews

I have always hated visiting Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon changed all that.

Elaine McPherson (732)

7 Completed6 Reviews

This trail is a favorite with local equestrians as well since it's one of the few places you can introduce your horse to water crossings. We head southwest from the parking area at the end of the loop and follow the trail that takes you across the creek and up to the base of the mountains in the shade to take a lunch break before looping back around to the creek and back. It's about a 6 mile loop for us. Most of the hikers we came across were extremely friendly and willing to engage in conversation with us, which helps to let the horses know that it's a person coming towards us and not a predator, we really appreciate that. We did have one couple that hid behind a tree and refused to answer me when I tried to get them talking. After we passed them one of our riders heard them talk to each other so they were English speaking, they apparently were not happy to share the trail with us though.

LittleFiesty One (116)

4 Completed3 Reviews

We accidentally hiked this trail instead of the First Creek trail that's about a mile down the road. We chose the west trail, which took us on a hike through the wash. It is a beautiful hike, but because I am still strengthening up from a broken ankle last Spring we were in search of something a little easier. With all that said, it's a gorgeous hike; we took the trail slow and steady. I'm glad to accidentally have spent the afternoon exploring this area. It's definitely on my "we gotta go back there!" list.

Y. M. (782)

12 Completed10 Reviews

Lots of flowering cacti. Went up some of the boulders on the dry river and had a nice picnic under the trees. Beautiful scenery. Our bull terrier roughed up his paw pads on the small rocks throughout the trail. Consider booties for the pups. Next time we'll go further up the boulders.

Jamie Dudley (498)

10 Completed10 Reviews

This was a nice hike once you got past all the small gravely rocks going in. Once you get back there you will find greenery and there is a stream back there also. It wasn't my favorite.

Tony Soika (141)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Really beautiful area for hiking, rock climbing and bouldering. The bouldering is especially beginner friendly as erosion has created a lot of handholds. I'd have given it 5 stars but it's a little crowded.

Lance Early (248)

8 Completed7 Reviews

I like this hike for a chill afternoon. Not much elevation gain, close to home, and pretty scenery.

Support