Steamboat Ditch Trail

#23 of 221 trails in Toiyabe National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

steamboat ditch trail is a 9.4 mile loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Sarah O'Neil (177)

8 Completed4 Reviews

Easy trail. I went with my dog and she got very hot because there is no shade but there is water close by the whole way. She was able to jump in and cool off. I went on a Thursday in the middle of the day and only ran into a few people, mostly bikers.

Holly Tretten (171)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Fun, easy trail. Lots of options for hiking, running, or playing with kids or dogs in the flume.

Vanessa Franking (121)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have run this trail for years, and my car has only been broken into at the trailhead once. The crooks took my bag and were kind enough to dump my clothes on the dirt, so at least I wasn't naked. The trail follows a ditch, that sometimes has water, sometimes is dry. Due to this, the trail is relatively flat, so for an out and back run without hills, it is ideal, plus you can't get lost. If you want to add hills, you can add the Hunter Creek loop that leads uphill to a parking lot (with bathrooms), or start there, and run down to the ditch trail. You can make a loop and circle back to the parking lot also. Pretty good year round, can get muddy in a big rain.
Rattlesnakes are out in the summer, so please watch your dogs and your footing!

Support