Champney Falls Trail (to Mount Chocorua)

#2 of 385 trails in White Mountain National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Champney Falls Trail (to Mount Chocorua) is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Laura Vartanian (42)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I hiked this today with my 4 kids, ages 14, 9, 5, and 3. It was recommended to me as a family hike but it was difficult for the younger two in some places, and they have been hiking since birth. They did enjoy crossing the water and scrambling up rocks the whole way up. Very beautiful and relaxing at the top it was well worth it! Be prepared to get dirty, it rained hard the day before and the trail was very muddy and wet!

Andrew Golenski (123)

6 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike up to Mt Chocorua, loved seeing Champney Falls on the way up the awesome view on top of Chocorua. And on the way down I took a dip in a little natural pool from the falls to cool off, great trail

Ben Thomas (762)

14 Completed8 Reviews

Jen B (78)

3 Completed3 Reviews

I'm in my 20s, work out daily, and this was tough. Easier than monadnock, but a strenuous uphill hike after the falls. Takes about 5 hours total. Beautiful view at the top.

Sean Michel (749)

11 Completed5 Reviews

Probably some of the best views you can get at the summit of Chocorua, I hiked in the winter so the falls were frozen at the time. There was no trail to the other peaks because of snow but I post holed to both the middle sister and third sister and it was well worth it. This trail is a must for all New England hikers.

John Joseph (109)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike. My wife and I (late 50s and in decent shape) took 5.5 hours including 30 minutes of stops. Piece of advice: Get to the parking lot by 10 am. This will a) ensure you get a parking spot and b) you won't feel rushed on the way down.

Marie-Louise Callahan (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Please be aware the waterfalls are slippery and steep. We tragically lost my beloved lab who slipped off the falls this summer and broke his back. It was devastating. The falls are lovely, but watch your footing and children/pups.

Adam Flynn (88)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This was an amazing hike. Beautiful scenery and well-maintained trails. Challenging at times, but very fun.

April Nadeau (133)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a great hike! I began early and didn't see another soul until the summit, which was perfect. Champney Falls is beautiful. The trail up to that point was pretty easy, but after the falls it begings to get more challenging and technical with more severe incline and a lot of rooty and rocky footing. I find this stuff fun so I loved it! Once you get near the summit you connect with the piper trail and that will take you to the Top. At this point I would say the hike becomes difficult with some climbing of rocks and very careful footing needed to ascend the rest of the way. What kind of hike would it be if it was easy though! Incredible views from the summit, absolutely breathtaking! I stayed up there for an hour. I wanted to descend and make a loop hike out of it but I could not locate the Bee line trail from the top. I took a little detour on the west side trail and it looped me right back up to the summit again lol. So I descended back down on on the Champney Falls Trail again. There were a ton of people at this point which was less desirable, but all in all I loved this hike and would do it again, but I think next time I might take the piper trail the whole way

Krysten Reilly (295)

8 Completed2 Reviews

This is a really amazing hike with ridiculous views on the top. It's quite rocky and the last trek to the top is pretty strenuous. Some spots are little bit slippery and rocky so I would suggest wearing good hiking shoes. We're definitely going to head back in September/October to see the view with fall leaves.

Support