Champney Falls Trail (to Mount Chocorua)

Conway, NH
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Champney Falls Trail (to Mount Chocorua) is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Conway, NH: Travel 11.5 miles west on Kancamagus Highway (SR 112) to a parking area. Trail begins there.

New Hampshire Division of Travel & Tourism
P.O. Box 1856
Concord, NH, 03302-1856
Phone: 603-271-2665

Person_placeholder

4 Completed 1 Reviews

My wife and I hiked it on 01/25/14, the trail was well packed and micro spikes are a must. It was 10 degrees on the trail until you reached the top, it was windy and very cold.

Icon_

569 Completed 569 Reviews

The waterfall was pretty, although not as much water running this time. Like everyone said the views from the top are incredible. The trail get's a little tougher after the waterfall but worth every step of it. Although the foliage was past peak there was still a lot of beautiful color at the lower parts.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Great hike for a nice warm day. Starting at the bottom you'll reach the waterfall in no time to experience it's full effects. After the waterfall the trail leads you to the top. If you are not comfortable with rocky trails and few slanting rocks you may want to stop at the waterfall. The town of Lincoln near the trail is amazing: ice cream shops, cafes, stores. Overall great experience and I don't regret the hike whatsoever.

Icon_

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I logged this as my first trail in AllTrails. I first hiked this trail as a boy in cub scouts. My passion for hiking started on this trail. I've hiked it with hundreds of diffent people in all four seasons. I've lost count how many times I summited this mountain.

43 Completed 25 Reviews

This is a great hike. We headed to The Falls initially and were rewarded with some real beauty. Continuing on from there, we went to the Summit. As it had rained, it was a bit slick in places, but not overly demanding. We were really pleased with the summit as it demanded some climbing to reach and paid off with sensational views of the area.

5 Completed 6 Reviews

finally made it to the summit of mt chocourua via bolles trail/ champney falls.... wat took 3.5 hrs bfore to the 1.5 mi mark, took only one hr on my 2nd attempt... i have to admit the rest of the way was rough goin for me.... in all an 8 hr hike up and back... altho windy at the top, it was well worth the gorgeous views with a sense of accomplishment on my behalf, after surrendering at the 1.5 mi. mark the year bfore....

11 Completed 11 Reviews

Love this trail. My second time here. it rates as moredrate but if you haven't hike before can be demanding but well worth to see the waterfall along the way. Made to the top on the second time with the help of a stick. Some tough areas, even with hiking boot was a little slipery. Dress up on layers it helps to get to the summit.

5 Completed 6 Reviews

if ur not an experiencd hiker and out of shape, do not tackle this trail ! i found out first hand tuesday mornin aug 9 2011.. weather was beautiful but found that the trail to be as is advertised as moderate.. the water level was low so the falls were trickling. didnt make it to the summit as the trail was steep and rocky. took me 3.5 hrs to get to the 1.5 mark at champney falls. walkd maybe another half mile past the falls bfore i surrenderd...currently training to attempt this trail again to get to the summit, which i was told was beautiful that day by hikers descending from the top...

36 Completed 2 Reviews

Nice winter Trek. Falls are a nice pit stop. summit dome opens up to gorgeious 360 view. Sick picture BTW JDalton.
Nice Hike up, trail is fairly narrow which makes for an interesting/exciting ride down. I would say one should have advanced riding skills to ride back to the lot, or just be really good at bailing safely.

Person_placeholder

Rachel DeFauw

1 Completed 1 Reviews

A fun and great day hike to do with a few friends. Trail was busy (crowded in my opinion, but I like to feel far away from crowds when I'm enjoying the great outdoors). Beautiful scenery throughout the climb, last phase of the climb is steep and rocky, but an exceptional view at the summit of the surrounding White Mountains. It was awe-inspiring and breathtakingly beautiful at the top.

Support