Champney Falls Trail (to Mount Chocorua)

#2 of 385 trails in White Mountain National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Champney Falls Trail (to Mount Chocorua) is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

John Joseph (98)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great hike. My wife and I (late 50s and in decent shape) took 5.5 hours including 30 minutes of stops. Piece of advice: Get to the parking lot by 10 am. This will a) ensure you get a parking spot and b) you won't feel rushed on the way down.

Marie-Louise Callahan (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Please be aware the waterfalls are slippery and steep. We tragically lost my beloved lab who slipped off the falls this summer and broke his back. It was devastating. The falls are lovely, but watch your footing and children/pups.

Adam Flynn (88)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This was an amazing hike. Beautiful scenery and well-maintained trails. Challenging at times, but very fun.

April Nadeau (93)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was a great hike! I began early and didn't see another soul until the summit, which was perfect. Champney Falls is beautiful. The trail up to that point was pretty easy, but after the falls it begings to get more challenging and technical with more severe incline and a lot of rooty and rocky footing. I find this stuff fun so I loved it! Once you get near the summit you connect with the piper trail and that will take you to the Top. At this point I would say the hike becomes difficult with some climbing of rocks and very careful footing needed to ascend the rest of the way. What kind of hike would it be if it was easy though! Incredible views from the summit, absolutely breathtaking! I stayed up there for an hour. I wanted to descend and make a loop hike out of it but I could not locate the Bee line trail from the top. I took a little detour on the west side trail and it looped me right back up to the summit again lol. So I descended back down on on the Champney Falls Trail again. There were a ton of people at this point which was less desirable, but all in all I loved this hike and would do it again, but I think next time I might take the piper trail the whole way

Krysten Reilly (235)

8 Completed2 Reviews

This is a really amazing hike with ridiculous views on the top. It's quite rocky and the last trek to the top is pretty strenuous. Some spots are little bit slippery and rocky so I would suggest wearing good hiking shoes. We're definitely going to head back in September/October to see the view with fall leaves.

Rich Claar (3027)

19 Completed16 Reviews

I hiked this on a beautiful sunny warm day, walked along a fast moving stream for sometime was going to check out the falls but it was already 1 pm and new I would be coming down in the dark. we were about 2 mile into it when there was nothing but ice and I left my crampons at home so it was very challenging and cleared just in time to veer to the right and catch some great views with .6 to go to the top and when we reached the top there was one last climb and it was very windy so it was just that much more of an adventure but sitting up at the Geo Tag was amazing 360 views of what seemed to go on forever and absolutely amazing. Started back down at 6 pm and were able to get through the ice before it started to get dark ( This ice isnt going any where soon as well as the snow you will have to get through if you use the switchbacks so bring crampons) We were the last ones off the mountain and the only car in the dark parking area... it was an amazing 7.6 miles and for me a good workout! Again the views are worth every step!

Keith Mowery (65)

4 Completed1 Reviews

My wife and I hiked it on 01/25/14, the trail was well packed and micro spikes are a must. It was 10 degrees on the trail until you reached the top, it was windy and very cold.

Alan Bourne (85541)

607 Completed606 Reviews

The waterfall was pretty, although not as much water running this time. Like everyone said the views from the top are incredible. The trail get's a little tougher after the waterfall but worth every step of it. Although the foliage was past peak there was still a lot of beautiful color at the lower parts.

Ryan O'Hora (109)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike for a nice warm day. Starting at the bottom you'll reach the waterfall in no time to experience it's full effects. After the waterfall the trail leads you to the top. If you are not comfortable with rocky trails and few slanting rocks you may want to stop at the waterfall. The town of Lincoln near the trail is amazing: ice cream shops, cafes, stores. Overall great experience and I don't regret the hike whatsoever.

Nathan Gallant (72)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I logged this as my first trail in AllTrails. I first hiked this trail as a boy in cub scouts. My passion for hiking started on this trail. I've hiked it with hundreds of diffent people in all four seasons. I've lost count how many times I summited this mountain.

Support