Champney Falls Trail

MODERATE
#3 of 225 trails in White Mountain National Forest
true
Champney Falls Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, NH that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly kid friendly birding hiking nature trips walking forest river views waterfall wild flowers rocky scramble snow
Hide Map

Directions from Conway, NH: Travel 11.5 miles west on Kancamagus Highway (SR 112) to a parking area. Trail begins there.

Laura Calisi

2 Completed0 Reviews

The top was still a bit icy and muddy. Walking sticks certainly came in handy when going down. Perfect trail to hike on a hot summer day. Plan to make the trip back!

Michele Adams

5 Completed0 Reviews

The waterfall was cute. I went all the way to the summit, and it's immediately after this trail (which connects to the summit) where the hike becomes rather strenuous.

donna staples

1 Completed0 Reviews

Nice trail and falls were beautiful. Partially still frozen. Still a bit icy at the top, but it's possible to walk around the icy spots to avoid having to walk on ice. A bit of advice.... the bridge is out as soon as you enter the trail to cross the stream. The rocks were icy and we went quite a ways up stream to cross on a fallen tree that crossed the stream. What we figured out on the way out, is you can get to the road and rejoin the trail. So from the parking lot, cross the stream on the road and follow the trail from there.

Jasmine Brown

3 Completed0 Reviews

It was beautiful during the end of winter season all semi snow covered.. Didn't make the full summit, way too sketchy & icy without micros or traction of some sort. All in all a great hike though.

Eric Nevins

1 Completed1 Reviews

Nice trail and well marked. Icy at the top and with the limited snow cover some type of crampon or traction aid is highly recommended. Tough to find the markers at the top under the ice and snow but fun.

Kimberlee R.

Beautiful!!! We hiked in the rain but it was worth it best trail we have done so far. Highly recommend this trail especially if you wanna get some good pictures.

Leigh MacDonald

7 Completed1 Reviews

Ethan Kim

19 Completed8 Reviews

Beautiful sunset, and sun rise at summit

Tamara Hewitt

2 Completed1 Reviews

Aaron Jonker

4 Completed4 Reviews

This is a great hike. We arrived at the trailhead at 8am on Saturday morning in the summer and were the fifth car in the lot. My wife and I hiked with our boys ages 8 and 10. It was a beautiful hike. It's not an easy trail, it's pretty consistently up the whole way. About a mile up the trail is the cutoff for the Champney and Pitcher Falls, both impressive though not much water travels over them most of the year. We continued up to the top of Chocorua and arrived at the top about two hours after we started. We probably could have made it up a bit faster, but kept a pretty steady pace the whole way. There was one other person at the top but we didn't see anybody else on our way up that early. The top is completely exposed and rocky, with some somewhat difficult climbing to get up to the summit. It's a must-see summit. On the way down the trail was like a super highway, with hundreds of people making their way up. Starting early was a good idea. On the way down we took the Middle Sister/Champney cutoff over to Middle Sister. An extra 0.7 miles or so gets you to the top of Middle Sister, which it appears almost nobody else does. It was a welcome respite from the busy trail and the old stone watch tower at the top was fun to see and poke around. Definitely worth the detour!

Mike R.

Good hike well maintained trail. Great views from summit.

K P

1 Completed1 Reviews

The first mile or so is shaded and the incline is pretty shallow. I recommend taking the route with the waterfalls - they are worth seeing/exploring (though not the most spectacular waterfalls, at this time of year at least) but also there is trail work being done on the other route so might as well avoid that. After the waterfalls the trail becomes steeper and more difficult - the trail is well maintained but is rocky and slippery in some places if wet. I would say the difficulty is moderate, but there is not too much distance to cover between the falls and the summit so it is certainly doable for most skill levels. Once at the rocky top there are seemingly many possible ways to the peak, but there is a not-obvious 'trail' off to the right side (west side) of the peak, take this route if you want the safer/less adventurous route - I prefer to make my own way up here though, the granite is formed in such a way that climbing your own way to the top can be fun and safe. Once at the peak the views are phenomenal on a clear day, with 360 degree views around.

When we went there was mud in some places but not too much. There were some bugs but it wasn't too bad. It was a warm and humid day but most of the hike is shaded which was nice. The trail was busy, but nowhere near what I would call crowded.

All in all, this was a pretty good hike. Difficult enough that I had to push myself at times but not so difficult that I ever felt like it wasn't doable. The views at the top were great and the waterfalls were an added bonus. Not my favorite hike ever but certainly worth doing.

Herman Sanborn

33 Completed23 Reviews

Great hike! My 73 year old dad and 12 and 14 year old nephews made it to the top. Would not say easy but not very hard if you have your hiking legs.

Sheryl Gobeil

17 Completed4 Reviews

I hiked this alone 2 days ago. Great hike. There were plenty of people on trail (including workers) and felt totally safe, but not too many as being crowded. My only concern was that the yellow blazes were tough to find, especially on the open rocks at the top. I guess that kind of adds to the challenge and makes it more of an accomplishment!

Laura Vartanian

4 Completed2 Reviews

I hiked this today with my 4 kids, ages 14, 9, 5, and 3. It was recommended to me as a family hike but it was difficult for the younger two in some places, and they have been hiking since birth. They did enjoy crossing the water and scrambling up rocks the whole way up. Very beautiful and relaxing at the top it was well worth it! Be prepared to get dirty, it rained hard the day before and the trail was very muddy and wet!

Andrew Golenski

6 Completed4 Reviews

Great hike up to Mt Chocorua, loved seeing Champney Falls on the way up the awesome view on top of Chocorua. And on the way down I took a dip in a little natural pool from the falls to cool off, great trail

Ben Thomas

17 Completed9 Reviews

Jen B

3 Completed3 Reviews

I'm in my 20s, work out daily, and this was tough. Easier than monadnock, but a strenuous uphill hike after the falls. Takes about 5 hours total. Beautiful view at the top.

Sean M.

Probably some of the best views you can get at the summit of Chocorua, I hiked in the winter so the falls were frozen at the time. There was no trail to the other peaks because of snow but I post holed to both the middle sister and third sister and it was well worth it. This trail is a must for all New England hikers.

John Joseph

5 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike. My wife and I (late 50s and in decent shape) took 5.5 hours including 30 minutes of stops. Piece of advice: Get to the parking lot by 10 am. This will a) ensure you get a parking spot and b) you won't feel rushed on the way down.