Dickey Mountain Trail

#29 of 383 trails in White Mountain National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Dickey Mountain Trail is a 4 mile loop trail located near Thornton, New Hampshire that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Michael Lajoie (451)

19 Completed15 Reviews

Did this hike in mid-August 2014 with my family. A bit steep in places, but otherwise extremely enjoyable! We will likely hike these two peaks again soon!

Zack Chin (266)

8 Completed8 Reviews

The Welch-Dickey loop is a challenging yet rewarding hike in Thornton that has been the favorite hike of many shell rowers, campers and canoers for many years. With many options for trails, there are many ways to explore this great granite state spot... Come with family and friends to take in the pastoral panorama. The air is always clear and the hike is always fulfilling. Note that the Dickey end is notably more difficult than the Welch end, so save your energy! Happy Trails!

Wayne Toutaint (420)

14 Completed6 Reviews

I actually hiked the Welch Dickey loop. It was a spectacular early spring day and the views were amazing! Needed my "ice grippers" as there was a lot of sheer ice due to the snow melting during the day, and freezing at night. In fact this is the only hike that I have fallen and gotten hurt. Coming down the trail back to the trail head there was glare ice along the bottom of the cliffs due to melting and freezing when one of my crampons failed!! The rubber part tore and I went over backwards, landing on my pack, and twisting my shoulder in the process. It took me about an hour to hike out the last mile and wasn't able to go hiking again for three months!! But, it was a great day in spite of the fall, and I will have some new crampons before winter comes, and I will do this hike again!

Support