Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Gonic Trails is a 2.3 mile loop trail located near Rochester, New Hampshire that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

William Landry (117)

3 Completed2 Reviews

What a beautiful spot! Only about a 10 minute walk from the parking lot. Nice waterfall. Interesting terrain. Only 10 minutes from my house. I will return as often as possible!

Heidi Lewis-French (80)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Cute waterfall. My Husband, little dog, and I kept on Hiking the yellow trail forever! Didn't know where it would end up so we just turned around. Decent Hike! Bumped into some other people and dogs, if your dog likes to wander keep it on a leash! One of the dogs we saw on our hike on our way out he was attacked by a porcupine! Lucky for the dog it was just his chin with the bristles, hope the poor dog will be ok!

Emily Rentz (69)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This is a nice one for families. There are 3 trails; red, blue and yellow. We stayed on the yellow trail the whole time because another reviewer thought it was the easiest, it was about 2 hours. It was nice, followed the river for the majority of the time. The waterfall is a pretty cool spot and you can play around on the rocks nearby. Yellow seems to be 3.8 miles, but be aware that it does not loop around. It comes out to a different parking area but you can get back to your car by taking a left and walking about a mile. A trail frequenter told us that the red trail is the shortest (I think the 2.5 miles the description mentions) and that is the trail that loops back around. The trails themselves are very well marked and easy to follow. I do wish there was a map at the trail head, we might have been able to see that yellow wouldn't bring us back. Regardless of being a little confused, we did have a fun time. Bring water, maybe a snack, and have a great time!

Sonya Heikkinen (105)

2 Completed1 Reviews

An easy walk/hike for any age, just as the overview states. I would say the usage is much more than 'light' though as I ran into more than a handful of other people along side their canine companions. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes are quite strong and I would highly suggest bug spray. The view is beautiful though, and doesn't take very long to get there at all. An easy escape from the 'city' life next door. Even though it's part of WM, I couldn't smell the garbage or hear any of the noise from the company/road.

Conley Pendergraft (187)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Enjoyed hiking the Gonic Ponds Trail,an easy hike.I'm 66 not in the best of condition but I still finished with plenty of energy to spare. Recommend you carry lots of water,a good camera.....a snack would also be nice.... I took the Red trail to the water,joined-up with the yellow...walked up-stream to the falls.Just had a big rain storm(a hurricane) so the Falls was really flowing....seen several people along the trail...well used by families,The boys were running well ahead of Mom and Gramma. Recommend the yellow trail for families,by far the easiest. Wish I'd known that before I started.Dont delay get hiking,your doctor will love you for it !!

Jennifer Merrifield (102)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Love this , great for families and scouts.

William Spinney (130)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Nice family Hike. Yes it is by the Waste Management site, but we didn't notice the smell or noise on a Saturday afternoon. Followed the red trail to the river and picked up the yellow trail, it ended up being a 3.4 mile hike with the last mile on a road in the sun, a little hot. Bring plenty of water.

Jesse Carlson (390)

5 Completed6 Reviews

If you're looking to do this trail, it can be located on Rochester Neck Road (the map on this site is ambiguous about it's location, so I figured this information might help). Quick little trail in the middle of Gonic/Rochester. Though it is visually removed from both of those places, it still has the feel of being in a suburban setting, as the Waste Management treatment plant is this trail's neighbor. The beautiful sounds and smells of garbage trucks and their loads can be smelled and heard throughout this little walk. While this is not the best trail in New Hampshire, it is well suited for taking your dog for a walk, or easing your city bound friend into "nature".

Linda Brockelbank (274)

8 Completed7 Reviews

Great place to spend some time at the rivers edge.

Angie Lilley (186)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Love this place hike it often great for all skill

Support