Mount Cardigan Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mount Cardigan State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Cardigan Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Canaan, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Person_placeholder

19 Completed 15 Reviews

Completed this hike in late June 2014 with my family. The climb up (bia the West Ridge Trail) is quite easy, except for a bit of rock scrambling towards the top, which is marked by cairns. The panorama atop Cardigan is fantastic, with 360 degree views toward Mt. Washington and the rest of the Whites, as well as views to Newfound Lake and Squam Lake. The views from nearby Firescrew Mountain (3,051') are much the same, reached by the Mowglis Trail from the summit of Cardigan. Overall, an amazing hike!

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike with stunning views! We'll be back again :)

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Hard to beat this hike. Took three other dads and all of our three year old boys up with us this July. Boys were carried on shoulders most of the way, but they loved it. Great bald summit up top and good moderate hike from the lodge.

75 Completed 45 Reviews

My wife and I summited Mount Cardigan yesterday around 10am via the West Ridge Trail. Very gentle climb to very bald/rocky summit where great views could have been taken in if it weren't for the snow squall that developed while we were in trail. This was a great "first winter excursion" for my wife who really enjoyed the hike despite the weather.

16 Completed 15 Reviews

Mt Cardigan is one of my favorites and I've now hiked this peak the 1st Saturday of the past two Novembers. Both days were nice and I must say I like to hike the Holt trail straight to the summit but I took the Clark trail this past time and found it to be a really great experience. The views at the summit are fantastic too!

88 Completed 30 Reviews

Gorgeous trail! Moderate complexity, relaxing walk in the forest and very nice hike on the rocks when you are approaching the summit. The view from the summit is just breathtaking: no words to describe the brightest colors of the fall. Yes, it is a bit crowded but it is really not too bad. If the parking lot is full, you can park on the curbside. Wonderful and relaxing hike to enjoy New Hampshire foliage, and it is the best in the world.

7 Completed 4 Reviews

Very beautiful, very calm and peaceful at the top, except for the bees by the tower,

5 Completed 1 Reviews

Great moderate trek that can be completed by intrepid newbies and enjoyed by old hands as well. Bring wind layers for the summit!

10 Completed 5 Reviews

Except for the first 1/2 mile on the access road, loved it. Make sure to be prepared for high winds most days at the summit. Great trail!

20 Completed 3 Reviews

Needed to get out for a big hike to work off the Thanksgiving dinner!! Great hike, gets tougher at the top with climbing up the bare rock. Windy and cold so we had to find shelter to eat our protein bar and drink water.

Support