Mount Cardigan Trail

Canaan, NH
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Cardigan Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Canaan, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

21 Completed 6 Reviews

My wife and I summited Mount Cardigan yesterday around 10am via the West Ridge Trail. Very gentle climb to very bald/rocky summit where great views could have been taken in if it weren't for the snow squall that developed while we were in trail. This was a great "first winter excursion" for my wife who really enjoyed the hike despite the weather.

Icon_

16 Completed 15 Reviews

Mt Cardigan is one of my favorites and I've now hiked this peak the 1st Saturday of the past two Novembers. Both days were nice and I must say I like to hike the Holt trail straight to the summit but I took the Clark trail this past time and found it to be a really great experience. The views at the summit are fantastic too!

Icon_

86 Completed 27 Reviews

Gorgeous trail! Moderate complexity, relaxing walk in the forest and very nice hike on the rocks when you are approaching the summit. The view from the summit is just breathtaking: no words to describe the brightest colors of the fall. Yes, it is a bit crowded but it is really not too bad. If the parking lot is full, you can park on the curbside. Wonderful and relaxing hike to enjoy New Hampshire foliage, and it is the best in the world.

7 Completed 4 Reviews

Very beautiful, very calm and peaceful at the top, except for the bees by the tower,

5 Completed 1 Reviews

Great moderate trek that can be completed by intrepid newbies and enjoyed by old hands as well. Bring wind layers for the summit!

10 Completed 5 Reviews

Except for the first 1/2 mile on the access road, loved it. Make sure to be prepared for high winds most days at the summit. Great trail!

20 Completed 3 Reviews

Needed to get out for a big hike to work off the Thanksgiving dinner!! Great hike, gets tougher at the top with climbing up the bare rock. Windy and cold so we had to find shelter to eat our protein bar and drink water.

18 Completed 6 Reviews

I did this on a cloudy overcast day . When I made it to the top the clouds where coming over leaving a nice little mist that help cool me down. Felt like I was at a pro football game and having those mist machines blowing on me. On the descend it started to clear up and you could finally be able to see off into the distance. I'm planning a Winter ascend in February of 2013.

Person_placeholder

9 Completed 9 Reviews

Completed the NH side of the mountain. It was easier than the VT side. Still quite breathtaking at the top. Definitely my favorite hike in the white mountains, and will definitely do it again!

8 Completed 4 Reviews

Just completed my yearly trek to Mt. Cardigan. A beautiful summer day, and one of the best days for hiking. The parking lot was full and yet a few minutes wait and a spot opened up. My brother and I took our dogs and the first mile was very straightforward. As you get closer to the end of the West Ridge Trail it can get a bit slippery, but otherwise no problems. As you get into the open, above the tree line, the views start in an amazing way. Make sure you take some time to turn around as get near the summit. The top of At 3,121 feet, you get amazing 360 degree panoramic views. Cardigan was loaded with people having lunch, and several other dogs sat happily alongside their families. Keep in mind that there are several ways to get to the top of Cardigan, the easiest is via the Mt. Cardigan State Park (Canaan, NH) parking lot. More challenging is the hike up from the AMC cabins. But overall - a great hike for families, and beginners looking to stretch their legs. The total hike up is 1.5 miles. A very cool descent can be had by going down the same way you came up (via West Ridge Trail) and just after the small wooden bridge a trail cuts to your left... follow this trail for .2 miles and you will hook up with the South Ridge Trail - stay to the right and follow the orange blazes through an amazing boreal forest. This diversion is well worth the time, and the trail gets narrow and steep at spots hugging the ridge in a wonderful way. Overall, plenty to do at Mt. Cardigan and it should be one of your favorite short hikes - little effort and really great rewards,

Support