Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Art Caponi (121)

2 Completed1 Reviews

The trail was hard for the new hiker however I did see people running down it and some hikers bare foot! The views were great and the blueberries are ripe.

Ashley Forcier (49)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Melissa below is right on this one- I did this hike as my first hike in almost 10 years...LITERALLY a "beginner"! I was able to do it but the yellow trail up and back was definitely challenging, even though that was the "easy" option! It was very steep and rocky. The views made it all worth it.

Bill Eldredge (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went with 20 hikers from age 4 to 46 and had a great time. Did the orange trail up and blue down, and that combo is definitely more technically challenging than some of the reviews below suggest (blue / yellow up and down is likely the least strenuous) -- the two youngest kids needed to be carried / hoisted every once in a while, and there's a fair amount of scrambling up large boulders. The orange trail (and the summit in general via any trail) offers a plethora of wild blueberries to keep energy and spirits up along the way (shhh -- don't tell the "take only pictures" crowd). The summit view is definitely work the effort, and the overall trail is varied and interesting.

Eli Hage (43)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Adria B. (163)

Beautiful views at the top. Great for my little dog. The trail wasn't busy in the morning when I first got there. Only saw 3 or 4 people on the way up. Used the yellow trail because I had my dog with me. Very busy on the way down.

Kayla Springer (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Nice short hike. Very busy on the weekends, but everyone always seems to be in a good mood. Took me about 1 hour 15 mins round trip (plus some time to stop for site seeing at the top, of course). Definitely geared towards any mix of hikers. If you're looking for something more like Mount Washington, this is probably not for you. However, if you'd rather have a nice hike with the family or a small group of friends of various skill, this is definitely one of the best trails in the area.

Tomoko S. (108)

Kiley Bowman (45)

7 Completed1 Reviews

Such a great trail, we took blue up and yellow down. Turned out to be 5 miles instead of the 3.4 but I'm not complaining at all. The view was beautiful would definitely hike again.

Jennifer DeAngelo (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Easy trail especially for beginners. It's a really busy trail, especially on weekends so get there early or you'll be parking off of the main road. Also, if you like to take your time and enjoy the hike before it gets too crowded. It's very family friendly and I found that by going early I avoided all the kids running around unsupervised.

Daryn C. (37)