Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Andrey O (745)

18 Completed12 Reviews

This is one of my favorite trails in relative proximity to Boston. The views are amazing! Wife & I usually do blue up, yellow down. The blue trail is kind of strenuous with some boulder-climbing involved, so that's why I prefer it on the way up. If you're lucky, you may find some wild blueberries at the top when they're in season! There's also an alternative orange loop and for the adventurer out there, a longer, flatter, and 'wilder' snowmobile trail (check OpenStreetMap). I have not done this, but apparently it's possible to continue past the summit further into the woods - to Straightback, Anna, Mack, Belnap, and Gunstock.

Donna Hudson (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My 6 year old son and I completed the hike on Columbus day. It was very busy, but a fun hike regardless. Many friendly hikers. We took the main trail up, and the Boulder Loop back. Not a dull hike with all the ledges and such to scramble up/down.

Ruth Rose (51)

1 Completed1 Reviews

First time on the trail! We took the blue route up, the yellow route down. We loved the view, the hike, and the entire day! We'll be back.

Steve Baldauf (303)

10 Completed7 Reviews

being from nebraska we thought a 3.4 mile trail would be a piece of cake...lol...wasnt as easy as we thought it would be, but thats a good thing. what a wonderful surprise! we loved it! the scernery hiking up the trail was beautiful, the scernery at the top was awesome! we WILL be back!

Kelly C. (882)

I loved it! Beautiful views and just challenging enough to be a beer-worthy workout. :)

Julie Monteith (74)

7 Completed3 Reviews

Great views at the top! It was a great family hike.

Shelby Wischan (1231)

65 Completed29 Reviews

Tons of people on the trail. I'm going to try doing this as a winter hike in December. One of the hikes I grew up doing!

Ed Lipson (51)

3 Completed1 Reviews

First time on the trail. We went up the back, down the same way. Started to rain jut as we hit the tree line. It was nice coming down in the drizzle, under cover of the leaves

Steven Thayer (58)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My first time hiking a New Hampshire trail and the folks I was with decided we'd go straight up the face of the mountain. I completed the trek up in about 2 hours, had lunch, took pictures and rested a bit. The hike down was uneventful. My Beagle enjoyed the hike and fresh air, but was dragging some major butt coming down headed back to the truck. She had to be carried out the last couple hundred yards and slept like a baby all through the night

Mark Chertok (89)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very busy but great view

Support