Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jennifer Ferreira (77)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike! Beautiful views!

Peter Kiley (255)

10 Completed8 Reviews

Moderate climb, outstanding views of Lake Winnepesaukee and surrounding communities. Extended hike out to the north and south peaks of Straightback Mt. Via the Straightback link and the Quarry trail.

Chip Gray (75)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Great view at the top,
Went up the orange trail and down the blue trail. lots of rocks and boulders to to navigate over.
Just over 3 miles and 2 hour.

Dylan Stanclift (88)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Incredible views and fairly easy hike!

Michael C. (199)

Easy hike, terrific view!

Chris C (119)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Nice hike, short but challenging. Great view of the bay and surroundings. Popular hike, lot of folks and dogs.would do again.

Matt George (159)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Firstly..GREAT hike...but ALL skill levels? Even the "easy" yellow trail that begins from the blue main trail had areas that rose quite a bit with many rocks and roots to scramble over. I went on a day where it was in the 70's so I worked up quite a sweat. Being a bonehead I had thought I reached the top and was a wee bit disappointed that the views were obstructed by so many trees and thought the view must be better in the fall but then realized that the trail continued a bit (.4 miles actually) to the actual top. There the views were amazing! Well worth the effort! i am DEFINITELY going to do this hike again. I did this with my ten year old and round trip it took us about three hours and that was stopping for lunch at the "fake summit". it would have taken longer if my six year old had went because I imagine I would have had to stop more times and help him up rocks at some points.....

Jeff S. (43)

Great - had the family and new puppy Shepard. We had a beautiful day. Tough at some points (enough to make the legs sore...in a good way) but even the 6 year old son called the views from the top worth the struggle. Definitely recommend but would not call easy trail.

Dawn Dupuis (105)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Jerry Salvas (137)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Not an easy trial for beginners but great once we got to the top

Support