Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Meg Gaskell (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Blue trail up for some rock scaling and yellow trail down for one nice leisurely nature walk

Jeanette Flynn (160)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Blue trail up was a doable challenge with breathtaking views, yellow down was an easier peaceful nature trail. Loved

Mike Mills (94)

9 Completed2 Reviews

I love this hike. It's really quick. Only about 2 hrs round trip, but the views are awesome. I do this a few times a year.

Greg Herrman (289)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Kristy & Matt Travel the East (712)

22 Completed23 Reviews

Check out our review on our Hiking Blog-

Paul Karinja (38)

2 Completed1 Reviews

What a beautiful hike. We met in the parking lot for our first date and we experienced sun, clouds, wind (especially a the summit), rain, lake and river waters, warm fellow- hikers, views, vistas and memories. We hiked on a Sunday and still got a parking spot.
I highly recommend this hike for families, dogs, and first timers. WE had a blast and the rock enclosure at the top buffeted the wind and kept the crackers, cheese and fruit from whipping away.
Sincerely,
Paul

Andrey O (2772)

33 Completed16 Reviews

This is one of my favorite trails in relative proximity to Boston. The views are amazing! Wife & I usually do blue up, yellow down. The blue trail is kind of strenuous with some boulder-climbing involved, so that's why I prefer it on the way up. If you're lucky, you may find some wild blueberries at the top when they're in season!

There's also an alternative orange loop and for the adventurer out there, a longer, flatter, and 'wilder' snowmobile trail (check OpenStreetMap). I have not done this, but apparently it's possible to continue past the summit further into the woods - to Straightback, Anna, Mack, Belnap, and Gunstock.

Donna Hudson (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

My 6 year old son and I completed the hike on Columbus day. It was very busy, but a fun hike regardless. Many friendly hikers. We took the main trail up, and the Boulder Loop back. Not a dull hike with all the ledges and such to scramble up/down.

Ruth Rose (51)

1 Completed1 Reviews

First time on the trail! We took the blue route up, the yellow route down. We loved the view, the hike, and the entire day! We'll be back.

Steve Baldauf (363)

10 Completed7 Reviews

being from nebraska we thought a 3.4 mile trail would be a piece of cake...lol...wasnt as easy as we thought it would be, but thats a good thing. what a wonderful surprise! we loved it! the scernery hiking up the trail was beautiful, the scernery at the top was awesome! we WILL be back!

Support