Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kayla Springer (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Nice short hike. Very busy on the weekends, but everyone always seems to be in a good mood. Took me about 1 hour 15 mins round trip (plus some time to stop for site seeing at the top, of course). Definitely geared towards any mix of hikers. If you're looking for something more like Mount Washington, this is probably not for you. However, if you'd rather have a nice hike with the family or a small group of friends of various skill, this is definitely one of the best trails in the area.

Tomoko S. (108)

Kiley Bowman (41)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Such a great trail, we took blue up and yellow down. Turned out to be 5 miles instead of the 3.4 but I'm not complaining at all. The view was beautiful would definitely hike again.

Jennifer DeAngelo (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Easy trail especially for beginners. It's a really busy trail, especially on weekends so get there early or you'll be parking off of the main road. Also, if you like to take your time and enjoy the hike before it gets too crowded. It's very family friendly and I found that by going early I avoided all the kids running around unsupervised.

Daryn C. (37)

Shari Obert (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Excellent hike! Fairly quick, with great views of the lake and surrounding area. Exceeding busy, though; I don't think I've ever seen so many people on the same trail at one time.

Melissa Wojcik (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

From a beginner: This is a great hike to test how you are progressing in your ability to do vertical hikes. If you are a beginner, take the yellow (Brook Trail) up and down--it is strenuous for a beginner, but do-able, and you'll be proud of yourself when you reach the top! Took me 1.5 hrs up and just about the same down. There are a couple of times you need to cross over the brook, but you'll be fine. Anyone who says the yellow trail is "easy" or a "walk in the woods" is not a beginner, so don't listen! To quantify where I am in terms of hiking fitness, I do 2-3 hour flatter hikes easily, but I'm slow; I do one called Rock Circuit with lots of rocky ledges and up and downs, quite easily, and that's 2 hours. I start complaining that my knees hurt at around 4 hours, and last weekend's 5 hour hike was over my head (but there was enough daylight left for me to not panic and practically crawl to the car).

Mistey Charrier (216)

7 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome

Darrin Apichell (300)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great short hike. Get there real early on the weekend or you will be parking on the road and seeing a ton of people on the trail. Hike is good one to do with children. Brought my 12yr old daughter. Took us 45 minutes to get to the top on the blue trail. Took the orange trail back down. The views are fantastic. Next time we hike it we will spend more time at the top just hanging out.

Meg Gaskell (39)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Blue trail up for some rock scaling and yellow trail down for one nice leisurely nature walk

Support