Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Kelly C. (859)

I loved it! Beautiful views and just challenging enough to be a beer-worthy workout. :)

Julie Monteith (64)

6 Completed2 Reviews

Great views at the top! It was a great family hike.

Shelby Wischan (1231)

65 Completed29 Reviews

Tons of people on the trail. I'm going to try doing this as a winter hike in December. One of the hikes I grew up doing!

Ed Lipson (51)

3 Completed1 Reviews

First time on the trail. We went up the back, down the same way. Started to rain jut as we hit the tree line. It was nice coming down in the drizzle, under cover of the leaves

Steven Thayer (58)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My first time hiking a New Hampshire trail and the folks I was with decided we'd go straight up the face of the mountain. I completed the trek up in about 2 hours, had lunch, took pictures and rested a bit. The hike down was uneventful. My Beagle enjoyed the hike and fresh air, but was dragging some major butt coming down headed back to the truck. She had to be carried out the last couple hundred yards and slept like a baby all through the night

Mark Chertok (89)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very busy but great view

Jen Cecchetti (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

As a kid I used to do this hike once a year with the whole family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc) and I don't recall it being all that difficult. I hiked Mr. Major again in June 2014 with my sons 4th grade class and what a blast we had! We took our time but yet still made it up in less than 2 hours and down in even less time than that. The views from the top were breath taking, definitely something I didn't recall from my childhood. I'm so glad I got to do this and now here it is August and I'm planning yet another trip to Mt. Major.

Anthony Pescosolido (44)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Have climbed this many times over the past few years with my kids (3 under 10). Clearly laid out and easy to follow . Lots of others on the trail if you ever get into trouble. However no way around some scrambling on the final 1/2 mile to summit.

Darleen Stoddard (61)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I've climbed this once before, but was so out of shape I had to sit and rest a number of times on the way up. This time is was the perfect level of difficulty, and I made it to the top without stopping! It's a great trail to get your feet wet with hiking up a mountain. Definitely not easy, but there are parts that are more flat to help you recover from the really steep parts. The view at the top is so worth it! I was on the mountain at 6:30 am and didn't see anybody on the trail until I'd been at the top for 10 or so minutes (around 8am).

Tara Marie (163)