Mount Major Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Mount Major State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Very busy but great view

1 Completed 1 Reviews

As a kid I used to do this hike once a year with the whole family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc) and I don't recall it being all that difficult. I hiked Mr. Major again in June 2014 with my sons 4th grade class and what a blast we had! We took our time but yet still made it up in less than 2 hours and down in even less time than that. The views from the top were breath taking, definitely something I didn't recall from my childhood. I'm so glad I got to do this and now here it is August and I'm planning yet another trip to Mt. Major.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Have climbed this many times over the past few years with my kids (3 under 10). Clearly laid out and easy to follow . Lots of others on the trail if you ever get into trouble. However no way around some scrambling on the final 1/2 mile to summit.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I've climbed this once before, but was so out of shape I had to sit and rest a number of times on the way up. This time is was the perfect level of difficulty, and I made it to the top without stopping! It's a great trail to get your feet wet with hiking up a mountain. Definitely not easy, but there are parts that are more flat to help you recover from the really steep parts. The view at the top is so worth it! I was on the mountain at 6:30 am and didn't see anybody on the trail until I'd been at the top for 10 or so minutes (around 8am).

3 Completed 3 Reviews

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Amazing views from summit worth the tough family climb. Took difficult boulder trail to the top. The name suits the climb-- no dirt paths and gradual climb here. In error we took blue trail down instead of Brook. We hear that would have been less rocky and more enjoyable.

Icon_

16 Completed 15 Reviews

Mt Major was a great winter time accomplishment. No snow on the ground and great trail conditions lead to a great hike and the summit all to myselft on this cold February morning. 3 days later winter storm Nemo dumped 2-3 feet of snow on the area. Again, the views were amazing and no one was around.

28 Completed 3 Reviews

Great trail for kids and the view is amazing. Good "picnic at the top " hike.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I hiked Mount Major on Tuesday Oct. 16th. I arrived at 9AM and hiked up the blue trail. Also, called Mount Major Trail. It was a hazy day, no wind and quite comfortable. It was not difficult until I reached a point where it is just large rocks and that was a bit challenging. I just took my time and I finally reached the summit. There were quite a few people there but the area is so big there is room for everyone. Great views all around. I ate lunch and left at about 12:30PM. I arrived at the PA at 2:30PM. Lots of people with their dogs seen going up the mountain.

Icon_

28 Completed 16 Reviews

i forgot that it was columbus day so i was surprised to see so many cars on a monday (over 100 cars!) but the trails were never too crowded and the view of lake winnipesaukee was incredible! although mount major offers a very busy summit, you never feel too crowded. i then made my way over to mount straightback, which is definitely a hidden gem!

Support