Mount Major Trail

Alton Bay, NH
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Major Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

16 Completed 15 Reviews

Mt Major was a great winter time accomplishment. No snow on the ground and great trail conditions lead to a great hike and the summit all to myselft on this cold February morning. 3 days later winter storm Nemo dumped 2-3 feet of snow on the area. Again, the views were amazing and no one was around.

23 Completed 2 Reviews

Great trail for kids and the view is amazing. Good "picnic at the top " hike.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I hiked Mount Major on Tuesday Oct. 16th. I arrived at 9AM and hiked up the blue trail. Also, called Mount Major Trail. It was a hazy day, no wind and quite comfortable. It was not difficult until I reached a point where it is just large rocks and that was a bit challenging. I just took my time and I finally reached the summit. There were quite a few people there but the area is so big there is room for everyone. Great views all around. I ate lunch and left at about 12:30PM. I arrived at the PA at 2:30PM. Lots of people with their dogs seen going up the mountain.

28 Completed 16 Reviews

i forgot that it was columbus day so i was surprised to see so many cars on a monday (over 100 cars!) but the trails were never too crowded and the view of lake winnipesaukee was incredible! although mount major offers a very busy summit, you never feel too crowded. i then made my way over to mount straightback, which is definitely a hidden gem!

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Great hike. Very busy on weekends. Starts as a walking path but don't let it fool you some parts are more difficult. Beautiful view of lake Winnipesaukee.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We hiked Mt. Major today it was a perfect day for it . We started hiking the blue trail the main trail which my wife assumed would be the easier trail to take little did she know not so much but a whole lot of fun and then we came back down the orange blaze or( boulder loop trail). Which besides the boulder fields we crossed on the initial decent it was a nice leisure hike back to the parking lot . Definatley a great family hike.

4 Completed 5 Reviews

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I just hiked this today and the weather was perfect- not too hot but sunny with a slight breeze. We went up the BLUE trail, the major trail, and it started off to be easy but don't underestimate it. There were a few steep rocks we had to endure and climb up, and couple of spots that you could take a breath and enjoy the view. As you get closer to the top, the trail becomes much more challenging and steeper. This trail is great if you want to push yourself. The climb becomes worth it when you get to the summit because the views are spectacular. After eating lunch on top, we decided to go down the yellow trail which I would recommend. Although the yellow trail is longer, it is also easier and you go down it with ease compared to the blue trail. If you're interested in climbing, I would recommend going up the blue trail and down the yellow because the yellow trail is much more peaceful and you can finish off the hike with a nice, relaxing walk through the woods instead of climbing down steep rocks.

Picture?width=50&height=50

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I've hiked here a few times but today was a a wet and rainy one. I came prepared for the weather and the lot was pretty full when I arrived which I wasn't expecting due to the rain. I ran into a lot of people heading down from the summit warning me of the slick rocks towards the top and got a little excited that it was going to be more challenging then usual during this time of year. the first chance you normally get to look out and see Alton Bay you could only see fog which gave the hike an awesome feeling of being in the wilderness and not right off of NH 11. Once I reached the summit in all directions was a giant fog bank and maybe 500 yards of visibility in all directions. As I headed down the rain was heavier and I was soaked but enjoyed every step. a few fun slides down some of the steeper rocks and I was back under the cover of the trees...somewhat anyway. I noticed that in a few spots on the trail it was more like a small stream and a couple sections were under about 6 inches of water the width of the trail but easy to navigate around. however if you don't have waterproof boots be sure to bring extra socks to change into once you get back to the parking area. Very nice hike overall and easy enough for just about anybody to complete.

1 Completed 2 Reviews

Hiked on 4th July when it was in the 90's, Went up orange trail and came down yellow. It was extremely crowded but otherwise a fun hike despite the heat, my dog loved it.

Support