Tripyramids - North & Middle from the Kank

#77 of 385 trails in White Mountain National Forest
Great views into Waterville Valley and south to east

9.6 miles Out & Back 3300 feet
Hide Map

The Pine Bend Brook Trail took longer than I expected. It is nearly flat for the first two miles with six stream crossings, then became quite steep through an area with nice views through hardwood forest. It continued steep up to the junction with Scaur Ridge Trail. There is a nice ridge walk for a bit, then up again to the north peak with nice views to the south. Middle peak has the better views, extending from west, south & east.

Climbing back up to the north peak had my calves screaming, ready for some downhill action. The steep section required sidestepping as it was too steep to walk straight down, this slowed our progress. One of our party ended up off the trail, up side down against a tree, unable to get up due to the steepness! The flatness of the last two miles called my uphill muscles back into action, with much protest. The entire hike took 8 hours in late March corn snow, including a nice lunch break on the summit.

Alyssa Faria

13 Completed9 Reviews

This is probably a much better summer hike than fall or winter. Ascended Pine Brook to Tripyramid and down Kancamangus. The first few miles are level and not terribly scenic, though there were some pretty ice formations in the rocks and roots. The trail was not well marked or maintained and we ended up ascending a rockfall quite a way off-trail, adding to the mileage. When the trail starts going up, it's a steep ascent with some fun boulder scrambling and high steps. Took about 4 hours to reach the first summit with a few good views through the bare trees. The second summit is close by, and over a fairly level trail for your legs to enjoy before heading down.
We chose to start from Pine Brook for the more gradual descent on Kancamangus, but this was not a win. It's a long and challenging route and a mile or so from the summit, there's a portion of very steep white slab where we didn't notice a thin layer of ice. Two of us bit it here, sliding 20-30 feet at ~45 degrees before we could stop ourselves. Treated the injuries as best we could and it was baby steps and swinging from the trees on the side for the next mile, with 5 still to go.
There are several stream crossings with no good routes across. Stones are extremely slippery, and the water was high. I was soaked to the knee with 3.5 miles left. Better to have this happen on the way down than up, I suppose. Some of the trail markers here direct you to cross at 4 or 5 different places, but I believe it's all the same stream, so if you can stay on one side for the first 3 or 4 crossings, it's safer and drier. Just keep a lookout for blazes on the other side and enjoy the pretty waterfalls almost all the way to the parking lot.