Tuckermans Ravine Mount Washington

#1 of 19 trails in mt washington state park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Classic glacial bowl, sweeping 2000 foot cliffs, skiers

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Roger Albright (605)

227 Completed6 Reviews

I love this trail - very busy though.

Geoffrey Hearn (314)

14 Completed14 Reviews

This trail is amazing. I have done it twice in my life and once from the opposite side. I must say that this is the way to go if you are going to Mount Washington for the first time. The views are spectacular.

Just make sure the weather is good and be prepared with your gear!

David Sjostedt (299)

14 Completed5 Reviews

Good trail. Late May so there was still some snow. Hard on your feet with lots of rocks if you go to the Summit. Broke off to go over Lions head and came back down Boote Spur

John Bartlett (767)

57 Completed10 Reviews

Turned out better then expected. It had snowed the night before we left. And it was overcast cold and windy in the am. By the time we reached the bowl it had turned into a beautiful day.

Dee Stowe (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Did this with our 70lb Rhodesian. Amazing hike but we were all hurting at the end. The dogs paws were a little bloodied up from the rock scramble at the end. Still very doable though, we saw other dogs on the trail. We had an ideal day though, a balmy 50deg at the top and 110mi visibility. We would do this again but would either leave the dog or buy her little trail booties to protect her paws.

Nathan Lavertue (190)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Short: it's a rock scramble in the summer and snow packed uphill grade in the winter.

Long: having done this trail in all seasons, there is a lot to say. It's tougher in the winter only because of the additional gear. But the summer isn't exactly easy. It's steep in sections and very rocky. You hike this trail for the views, the highest peak in the northeast, the right of passage (if you ski/ride) down and the pride. It's a hot tourist spot but I've seen more than my fair share of people who were not prepared. It's a mountain in New England and should be treated as such!

Overall: do this at least once in your life. It's worth it. And pick up after yourself!

Kristen Bobbitt (169)

5 Completed4 Reviews

It was a very hard & fun but very busy trail. Lots of people the whole way to the summit. I wrote a huge recap with photos of my climb up and down Mount Washing here: http://www.countryfitfamily.com/2014/08/hiking-mount-washington-nh-highest-peak-northeast.html

Alicia Devero (1504)

53 Completed29 Reviews

I think that by far this is the most difficult hike I have ever done. I was very lucky since that weekend the weather was perfect which is an unusual occurrence on Mt. Washington. 8 hours of constant sun and low wind was gift I didn't want to turn my back on. So after finishing another high peak the day before, Mt. Mansfield in VT, I set off early in the morning and arrived at Mt. Washington ready to Rock! The first part before the ravine goes through the forest throughout the river and it is absolutely beautiful. The moment I faced the ravine I felt the overwhelming magnitude of this mountain and I can fully understand why it climes so many lives every year. A one mistake and or one stronger windblown and an adventure can turn into a tragic event. I think the only solution for this mountain is a steady paste, different for everyone, and determination that drives us all up the rocks although once I got to the last portion of the hike - a vertical 900 feet of rock scrambling I had a few moments when I thought: WTF am I doing here? :) It was probably the longest 900 feet of my life, but Gosh it felt good when I finally stood by the sign Mt. Washington 6,289 ...

Pavica Kneedler (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I didn't even attempt to summit, but made it to the Hermit Lake Shelter on February 20, 2014. It was the first time in 20 years that I was able to make it which was very exciting. It was a beautiful, sunny day but heavy going in loose packed snow.

Stacey Haines (109)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Took our class from Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and camped at Hermit Shelter. Hiked Tuckerman's. Beautiful

Support