Tuckermans Ravine Mount Washington

#1 of 19 trails in mt washington state park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Classic glacial bowl, sweeping 2000 foot cliffs, skiers

Trail has a very consistent steady rise and is nice and wide. This is a highly traveled trail year round. Thousands of skiers descend on the ravine each spring to catch the last of the snow and to party.

Mount Washington can be a dangerous place simply because the weather can change in a minute and the heights are so accessible. Over 125 people have died on Mount Washington because they have not been properly prepared or not properly cautious. There is a list at the cabin describing each name, date and cause of death.

Some people hike up with their sleds and slide down the ski trail.

The trail follows a brook and water is available if you have a filter. There is a lovely waterfall near the start of the trail. There is a cabin and outhouse at the top. They are not heated.

From the North:

Take route 16 south from Gorham NH into Pinkham notch. Watch for the Tuckermans Ravine trailhead on your right.

From the South:

Take route 16 north from Glen NH into Pinkham notch. Watch for the Tuckermans Ravine trailhead on your left.

The trailhead is very well marked. The parking lot is massive but it can still be difficult to find a parking spot when skiers are present. A small donation is requested.

Pinkham Notch Visitor Center, Gorham, NH 03581, (603) 466-2721

3 Completed 3 Reviews

Short: it's a rock scramble in the summer and snow packed uphill grade in the winter.

Long: having done this trail in all seasons, there is a lot to say. It's tougher in the winter only because of the additional gear. But the summer isn't exactly easy. It's steep in sections and very rocky. You hike this trail for the views, the highest peak in the northeast, the right of passage (if you ski/ride) down and the pride. It's a hot tourist spot but I've seen more than my fair share of people who were not prepared. It's a mountain in New England and should be treated as such!

Overall: do this at least once in your life. It's worth it. And pick up after yourself!

4 Completed 3 Reviews

It was a very hard & fun but very busy trail. Lots of people the whole way to the summit. I wrote a huge recap with photos of my climb up and down Mount Washing here: http://www.countryfitfamily.com/2014/08/hiking-mount-washington-nh-highest-peak-northeast.html

41 Completed 18 Reviews

I think that by far this is the most difficult hike I have ever done. I was very lucky since that weekend the weather was perfect which is an unusual occurrence on Mt. Washington. 8 hours of constant sun and low wind was gift I didn't want to turn my back on. So after finishing another high peak the day before, Mt. Mansfield in VT, I set off early in the morning and arrived at Mt. Washington ready to Rock! The first part before the ravine goes through the forest throughout the river and it is absolutely beautiful. The moment I faced the ravine I felt the overwhelming magnitude of this mountain and I can fully understand why it climes so many lives every year. A one mistake and or one stronger windblown and an adventure can turn into a tragic event. I think the only solution for this mountain is a steady paste, different for everyone, and determination that drives us all up the rocks although once I got to the last portion of the hike - a vertical 900 feet of rock scrambling I had a few moments when I thought: WTF am I doing here? :) It was probably the longest 900 feet of my life, but Gosh it felt good when I finally stood by the sign Mt. Washington 6,289 ...

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I didn't even attempt to summit, but made it to the Hermit Lake Shelter on February 20, 2014. It was the first time in 20 years that I was able to make it which was very exciting. It was a beautiful, sunny day but heavy going in loose packed snow.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Took our class from Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and camped at Hermit Shelter. Hiked Tuckerman's. Beautiful

Icon_

10 Completed 2 Reviews

What an incredible hike! The beginning is a little big mundane until you get to the ranger station. That's where all the fun begins!

9 Completed 8 Reviews

Great climb but if you go in April and May, ALWAYS pack your skis. It is torture to sit at lunch rock watching the skiers without being able to join in.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Lucked out and had perfect weather. This is a fairly difficult hike, but doable if you are prepared. Most of the trail is made up of at least soccer-ball sized rocks, so you need to be mindful of your foot placement. As you head up the headwall of the ravine, the trail becomes narrow and quite steep. It is extremely important to stay on the trail. Only a month after I hiked this, a hiker fell to his death because he left the trail and slipped on wet rocks.

89 Completed 4 Reviews

I first hiked this when I was a kid and the hotel was still on top and have done it 7 times since. Still one of my favorite hikes, and one of the more majestic climbs in New England. And, like all things associated with Mt Washington - keep an eye out for the weather and treat the mountain with respect.

Icon_

224 Completed 4 Reviews

A fun hike but usually pretty crowded. I prefer to go up Boott Spur Link and look down into Tucks. Great views all year round!

Support