Tuckermans Ravine Mount Washington

#1 of 19 trails in mt washington state park
Classic glacial bowl, sweeping 2000 foot cliffs, skiers

4.2 miles Out & Back 1820 feet
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
hiking nature trips skiing dogs dogs leash kids
Hide Map

Trail has a very consistent steady rise and is nice and wide. This is a highly traveled trail year round. Thousands of skiers descend on the ravine each spring to catch the last of the snow and to party.

Mount Washington can be a dangerous place simply because the weather can change in a minute and the heights are so accessible. Over 125 people have died on Mount Washington because they have not been properly prepared or not properly cautious. There is a list at the cabin describing each name, date and cause of death.

Some people hike up with their sleds and slide down the ski trail.

The trail follows a brook and water is available if you have a filter. There is a lovely waterfall near the start of the trail. There is a cabin and outhouse at the top. They are not heated.

Ashok Kumar Muthusamy

3 Completed3 Reviews

Went for a perfect summer day hike in September. Some level of physical fitness required. Wish to go again...

Kristy & Matt Travel the East

32 Completed34 Reviews

Check out our review & Photos on our hiking site!

Travel the East ©
Kristy Albano & Matt Pickering
Traveltheeast@gmail.com | www.traveltheeast.com | @TraveltheEast

Adam Gagnon

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail took my girlfriend and I 4 hours up and 3 hours down. October 10th and although there was a very small amount of snow. There was no ice on the trail because it was in the sun most of the day. It was beautiful and exhausting. Arriving at 10:30 am we had to wait for a parking spot in the big parking lot. Lots of people.

Richard Redding

8 Completed7 Reviews

Diana Kilguss

1 Completed1 Reviews

Megan Lofthus

12 Completed9 Reviews

Jocelyne Dalrymple

2 Completed2 Reviews

A great trail. Made it to the ravine twice in a month but the last time was the best. The view and cool summer breeze at the summit is absolutely something spectacular to behold. Ofcourse the trail wasn't easy or even moderate. I payed for it the day after haha. At times I was on all fours plus my behind but I finally reached the summit. Met lots of hikers/campers, dogs and kids. Yes, even 2 little boys under10yrs made it the mountain. A must see/do in your lifetime. Would definitely do it again early winter or late fall. Can't wait!

Roger Albright

228 Completed6 Reviews

I love this trail - very busy though.

Geoffrey Hearn

14 Completed14 Reviews

This trail is amazing. I have done it twice in my life and once from the opposite side. I must say that this is the way to go if you are going to Mount Washington for the first time. The views are spectacular.

Just make sure the weather is good and be prepared with your gear!

David Sjostedt

14 Completed5 Reviews

Good trail. Late May so there was still some snow. Hard on your feet with lots of rocks if you go to the Summit. Broke off to go over Lions head and came back down Boote Spur