Ramapo Reservation Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Ramapo Valley County Reservation
Ramapo Valley County Reservation: Ramapo Reservation is a 8.52 mile loop trail located near Mahwah, New Jersey that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, scenic driving & walking.

8.52 miles Loop 1863 feet
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
hiking scenic driving walking beach cave dogs leash
Hide Map

Rt. 287N, exit 58 to 202N in Mahwah. Large lot is on the left.

vin rubin

4 Completed0 Reviews

very family friendly very dog friendly. the easier trails tend to get crowded. the more difficult trails are much less traveled. everything is doable some parts of trails are moderate, most are easy. great walk. i prefer the views when go in the fall (its a great time with the lake and foliage).

Stanley Knep

1 Completed1 Reviews

Some areas challenging but doable. Great workout and pleasant when away from lake areas

Peter Canavan

7 Completed2 Reviews

My expectations for this place were mediocre but I had blast. Went the green trail, to the white, looping back in with the blue. I was surprised how empty the more rugged trails were for a Saturday.

Maria Adorno

2 Completed2 Reviews

Maria Adorno

2 Completed2 Reviews

Jaime Andrés

2 Completed1 Reviews

Carolyn Correa

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great trails for dog owners

Bryan Dan

6 Completed1 Reviews

went during memorial day weekend and as I anticipated the parking lot was packed due to the holiday. We hiked the orange trail to the blue trail back down the silver trail. Was a beautiful and somewhat challenging hike as we weren't in the best shape following the winter. Saw two timber rattlesnakes, a black rat snake, a red bellied skink, along with other more common critters. Don't worry about the snakes if you fear them just watch your step and give them the distance they deserve.

Reena DePaolo

4 Completed4 Reviews

I hiked the Halifax to the White trail in about 2.5 hours without stopping more than 5 mins and going at a pretty leisurely pace for most of it. I actually started going around Scarlet Oak Pond and making a right over the wood bridge following the green on white markers. Nice view from Hawk Rock I think it was. The first hour felt like two with all the inclines.
Passed the blue on white markers to get to the White trail on the left. Didn't care for the narrow part of the trail but it opens up again quickly. Led to the blue trail and passed the Overlook on my way down. If I weren't so tired I would have stopped for the view but I just wanted to get back to the car. Didn't realize I was so out of shape. Overall good hike but I think it would be prettier in spring or fall.

Jason Phillips

5 Completed2 Reviews

Overall I found this park & trail a good solution for a simple and fairly quick afternoon getaway from NYC.
It's less than an hour from midtown, I found parking pretty easy (it was 2:00 on a Summer Sunday) and the trail is right off the road. I hiked the yellow trail, not the paved one, it pretty much hikes like a dry river bed and is nicely covered with trees. I also found it relatively quiet, not to many people around. Hike to the lake and around, let your dog go for a swim and leash him back up!