Ramapo Reservation Trail

HARD
#1 of 3 trails in Ramapo Valley County Reservation
Ramapo Reservation Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mahwah Township, NJ that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and scenic driving and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly hiking scenic driving trail running walking beach cave forest hot springs river views waterfall wild flowers wildlife
Hide Map

Ramapo Valley County Reservation: Ramapo Reservation is a 8.52 mile loop trail located near Mahwah, New Jersey that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, scenic driving & walking.

Randy Goode

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great hiking trail!! I highly suggest taking the Yellow trail once you get behind bear swamp lake. It is challenging but highly worth it as it brings you to the best view point in the park. Loop back onto the highlighted trail by taking White back down and hanging a left onto Red. Adds and extra 1/2 mile that feels like 2 after the incline.

Lexi Hazen Curtis

1 Completed1 Reviews

At first the trail seems like a short, highly populated route. But once you cross over this tiny bridge in the woods, you come across long trails with amazing views off of the mountain. I will definitely be back to explore more.

John Spittle

very scenic, great hike

Isaiah McCargo

Great amazing views!!

Paige Miller

34 Completed18 Reviews

Kiddo Vanhood

16 Completed3 Reviews

This was an amazing experience. I was looking for somewhere to go to be alone with the woods, and this was certainly it.
I was a bit discouraged when I first arrived. I have never seen such a variety of dog breeds, and a large group of boys came running in a pack behind me as I got closer to the lake.
That is when I noticed the wonderful yellow trail. This followed the roadway for quite a bit, but was still very calm and beautiful. After it got far enough into the woods and away From the main entrance the more wonderful it was. There were several people on this path. But once I got into the red path I was the only one around.
I did a lot of off trail uphill hiking. It was tough, but the views and scenery were certainly worth it.
I spent 5 hours in the park, and most of it was without a thought of another human, let alone sight.
There are so many trails to explore and I am looking forward to seeing this place again once the summer leaves come in.

Recommend if you're looking for some alone time, off trail, scenery or even an easy walk around the lake. I saw a lot of runners, lots of dog walkers. Families. Picnic tables. Fishing. This has something for everyone.

Kevin Miller

6 Completed4 Reviews

Really Good

Jimmy Lang

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was the best I have seen yet. Better keep exploring.

vin rubin

4 Completed5 Reviews

very family friendly very dog friendly. the easier trails tend to get crowded. the more difficult trails are much less traveled. everything is doable some parts of trails are moderate, most are easy. great walk. i prefer the views when go in the fall (its a great time with the lake and foliage).

Stanley Knep

1 Completed1 Reviews

Some areas challenging but doable. Great workout and pleasant when away from lake areas

Peter Canavan

8 Completed2 Reviews

My expectations for this place were mediocre but I had blast. Went the green trail, to the white, looping back in with the blue. I was surprised how empty the more rugged trails were for a Saturday.

Maria Adorno

2 Completed2 Reviews

Maria Adorno

2 Completed2 Reviews

Jaime Andrés

2 Completed1 Reviews

Carolyn Correa

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great trails for dog owners

Bryan Dan

7 Completed1 Reviews

went during memorial day weekend and as I anticipated the parking lot was packed due to the holiday. We hiked the orange trail to the blue trail back down the silver trail. Was a beautiful and somewhat challenging hike as we weren't in the best shape following the winter. Saw two timber rattlesnakes, a black rat snake, a red bellied skink, along with other more common critters. Don't worry about the snakes if you fear them just watch your step and give them the distance they deserve.

Reena DePaolo

4 Completed4 Reviews

I hiked the Halifax to the White trail in about 2.5 hours without stopping more than 5 mins and going at a pretty leisurely pace for most of it. I actually started going around Scarlet Oak Pond and making a right over the wood bridge following the green on white markers. Nice view from Hawk Rock I think it was. The first hour felt like two with all the inclines.
Passed the blue on white markers to get to the White trail on the left. Didn't care for the narrow part of the trail but it opens up again quickly. Led to the blue trail and passed the Overlook on my way down. If I weren't so tired I would have stopped for the view but I just wanted to get back to the car. Didn't realize I was so out of shape. Overall good hike but I think it would be prettier in spring or fall.

JasonEdwin Phillips

7 Completed2 Reviews

Overall I found this park & trail a good solution for a simple and fairly quick afternoon getaway from NYC.
It's less than an hour from midtown, I found parking pretty easy (it was 2:00 on a Summer Sunday) and the trail is right off the road. I hiked the yellow trail, not the paved one, it pretty much hikes like a dry river bed and is nicely covered with trees. I also found it relatively quiet, not to many people around. Hike to the lake and around, let your dog go for a swim and leash him back up!

PJ Ryan

2 Completed1 Reviews

good for an umplanned hike with the kids or the dog. extremely crowded, so don't expect solitude.

Jesus Gay

10 Completed5 Reviews

Great trail with a lot of good views. rail is well marked. Despite Ramapo Reservation being very popular and at times very crowded, the trail is very quiet and you don't run into many people like on the other trails.