Ramapo Reservation Trail

#1 of 3 trails in Ramapo Valley County Reservation

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Ramapo Valley County Reservation: Ramapo Reservation is a 8.52 mile loop trail located near Mahwah, New Jersey that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, scenic driving & walking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Reena DePaolo (159)

4 Completed4 Reviews

I hiked the Halifax to the White trail in about 2.5 hours without stopping more than 5 mins and going at a pretty leisurely pace for most of it. I actually started going around Scarlet Oak Pond and making a right over the wood bridge following the green on white markers. Nice view from Hawk Rock I think it was. The first hour felt like two with all the inclines. Passed the blue on white markers to get to the White trail on the left. Didn't care for the narrow part of the trail but it opens up again quickly. Led to the blue trail and passed the Overlook on my way down. If I weren't so tired I would have stopped for the view but I just wanted to get back to the car. Didn't realize I was so out of shape. Overall good hike but I think it would be prettier in spring or fall.

Jason Phillips (138)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Overall I found this park & trail a good solution for a simple and fairly quick afternoon getaway from NYC. It's less than an hour from midtown, I found parking pretty easy (it was 2:00 on a Summer Sunday) and the trail is right off the road. I hiked the yellow trail, not the paved one, it pretty much hikes like a dry river bed and is nicely covered with trees. I also found it relatively quiet, not to many people around. Hike to the lake and around, let your dog go for a swim and leash him back up!

PJ Ryan (60)

2 Completed1 Reviews

good for an umplanned hike with the kids or the dog. extremely crowded, so don't expect solitude.

Jesus Gay (281)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Great trail with a lot of good views. rail is well marked. Despite Ramapo Reservation being very popular and at times very crowded, the trail is very quiet and you don't run into many people like on the other trails.

Jacqui McCann (81)

5 Completed1 Reviews

Overall a very scenic and enjoyable hike. There are a number of different trails that are suitable for any level. A lot of uphill so it was a great workout. Plenty of parking. I took the orange trail to red/silver which was great. However, when I got to the gasline I decided to hike up the mountain side to get a good view. The view was spectacular but the hike down was extremely dangerous and I would recommend NOT doing this. I fell twice and the ground is slick. If you stay on the paths and pay attention it should be a good time

Paul Whalen (439)

13 Completed9 Reviews

Ramapo Reservation is one of the most popular places to go to in the area. The trails are well marked throughout the hike. You will see a lake at the beginning of the hike where lots of people walk around and another one at the top. They are both nice to see especially the top one. The hike is a moderate one and you will enjoy it. If you ever get back to Ramapo some day get a map and check out Bear Swamp lake and the other trail at Ramapo Reservation have to offer. I've been on them all and still hike them today.

Nick Ivanov (767)

9 Completed3 Reviews

One of my favorite trails. I hike it with my son almost every week.

Ryan Karpilo (162)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Let me get out the negatives first. Parking is terrible, very very crowed trail, if you have a dog, think twice, no one obeys the leash law. If you have a dog that is the least bit aggressive with other dogs, do not go here. Not because of your dog buy because no one has control over there dogs. Everyone on this trail appears to have never been on a trail before so be prepared or people walking down the wrong side. And last but not least, if your dog takes a dump and you put it in your doggie bag, don't leave it on the f&@&:&: trail. I give this trail a 2 star for the elevation gain but will never take it again. Major fail for trails.

Sue Rose (75)

0 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hike that's not too strenuous and is perfect if you have a dog!

Tyler Hartigan (426)

18 Completed7 Reviews

I was on this hike with Mike, trails were in good condition some decent climbs but no real satisfaction to most overlooks. Markers were a bit confusing and bare had to spend a lot of time on fire and service roads to get where we wanted to go. I would highly recommend a good map to keep tabs on where you haha.

Support