Atalaya Mountain Trail

EASY
#2 of 67 trails in Santa Fe National Forest
true
Atalaya Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, NM that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking walking forest views
Hide Map

This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest. This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest.

Sriram R.

We hiked this towards afternoon to sunset and took the easier route going up and back the steeper route.

Chris Porta

3 Completed0 Reviews

Great hiking trail, a must do if you're in town! A bit easy, moderate, and difficult depending on where you're at on the trail, a great mix. We reached the summit and it started snowing, and kept snowing all the way back down. Beautiful, soft snow, definitely a treat.

David Barber

1 Completed0 Reviews

Good hike. Nice views of the surrounding area. Wish there was some sort of 'you made it!' marker at the top. For us lowlanders it was fairly strenuous. Very easy to find, parking is great, and the tourist info guy suggested you could expand it by walking along the ridge to the next peak.

Sarjoo Patel

1 Completed0 Reviews

Rebecca McKee

2 Completed1 Reviews

The trail had beautiful views scattered along the route. We completed the route to the top in about an hour and a half and made it down in an hour and 15. We were walk/running the route though. We hiked this trail in late January and the frequent use of the trail really packed down the snow, making whole sections of this trail like sheets of ice. These ice sheets will probably still around for months, as some trees shade the trail and the ice is very solid.

Molly Greenwood

12 Completed9 Reviews

Corinna Wu

1 Completed1 Reviews

It is a nice trail for a half day hike

Peter Nelson

11 Completed9 Reviews

Bottom of the trail is really cool as you wind along a little stream bed. Plants were in bloom for beautiful yellow lined walk. Careful as the locals walk their dogs and I ran across a few land mines. As the trail elevates the grade increases. Beautiful pines and rocks has fascinating variety on way up. I hike fast so 2 hours up and down for a 6.2 mile hike to peak from St. John college trailhead. Generally I'd figure for a leisure hike 3-4 hours up and down.

Sarah Lewis

1 Completed1 Reviews

A good strong hike! Go at your own pace and don't worry if you finish at three to four hours. The view at the actual peak is beautiful, but than again I just love high elevations

Daniel Garofalo

1 Completed1 Reviews

Can't beat the proximity to Santa Fe. Worth noting that there is a "easy" route that is longer than the trail shown and has a lot of switch backs. There is a sign that points out easy and steep. We took easy up and noticed we were well off the trail shown in the app, the went with the steeper fast route down and that definitely added time to the trip up. Bit of a grind at the latter stages of the trip up for us.

Derek Jett

41 Completed30 Reviews

Trail is only 3 miles from downtown. Departs from parking lot at at johns college. Not to steep. Interesting terrain change as you climb. Took us 1 hour ea way and we were not pushing.

Lauren Figard

1 Completed1 Reviews

Good hike, conveniently located from Santa Fe. Nice views of the beautiful St John's campus as well. We did this hike on a Saturday, but it was surprisingly quiet with very few other hikers.

Shannon Croom

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great views of Santa Fe. The elevation was a challenge at times for my sea level lungs. Would certainly hike it again!

Johnny Fedevich

2 Completed1 Reviews

A very popular Santa Fe hike. Many people and doggies on a Sunday. Our 12 year old Lab/Shepard did great going up, she was worn out going back down. Great view at the top with a gentle breeze. It took us about 4 hours.

Beard Brenda

7 Completed8 Reviews

Beautiful

Alexandra Telly

12 Completed4 Reviews

Paul Listerman

1 Completed1 Reviews

My family and I hiked most of the trail while on vacation last week in Santa Fe. About a half mile from the top, a thunder, lightening and heavy rain storm came in from no where. We had to retreat....but we were so close!!
Beautful trail. Great views so close to town. We did meet a lot of locals along the trail. A lot had dogs off leash but heck...the dogs want to hike too!! Then again, I'm a dog lover and if my dog was with me, she would be off leash too.
The trail does start very flat but then turns up. It can get steep at times. As flatlanders, two of our group stopped at about 8500 feet elevation. We were only two days into the vacation and the altitude was getting to them. The other three of us (all runners) kept going but were almost immediately turned around by lightening. The walk down was miserable in a cold rain but heck, it made for a good story!
Bring your water. Bring some snacks. Have fun and take a lot of photos!!

Ernie Lozano

1 Completed1 Reviews

My sister and I hiked the Atalaya trail today. It was our first time. For a 65 year old man it tested me. But we enjoyed ourselves.
We encountered 6 unleashed dogs. 5 of them were with their owners. The one came off of the side of the hill between my sister. She is deaf, so she had no way of hearing it, It startled her and scared her cause it looked like a wolf. We were on a very narrow part of a trail. She almost went over the edge.
I encountered the owner about 5 minutes later when the dog came to him. I asked if it was his dog, and he acknowledged it was. I described what had just happened and that he should have the dog leashed. It did not respond, just briskly walked away.
It's is sad that these people only think of their own needs. Not sure I will return.

Abigail Wise

36 Completed38 Reviews

Nice trail with great views, but not many views until very near the top. Trail is also tough to find in rain, so go when it's nice out.

John Laninga

8 Completed8 Reviews

Wife and I did most of the trail. When the sign says "Steeper Route", it means it, at least for a couple of 70+ year olds! But we enjoyed the hike and the views from the trail. Lots of people and loose dogs, too.