Atalaya Mountain Trail

#2 of 161 trails in santa fe national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Mark Mansfield (317)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Cool trail... shaded in some areas, was a bit rough on my schnauzers... heat can be pretty intense. I took the "easy" route but it is still considerably steep for some distances. I think the easy route actually adds some pretty nice additional views and a bit of distance. You want to bring a lot of water during the summer as the heat can dehydrate you quickly. Be in decent physical shape if you want to summit... I certainly did see some folks turn back before the summit as they were not able to deal with the elevation gain.

Jonathan Tack (57)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Luxury to have this trail so close. It was so gorgeous and moderately challenging the whole way. The view from the top is astonishing. I'm a pilot who flew into SAF yesterday but the views from the mountain I climbed on my own two feet are far more fulfilling. So easy to find from downtown. I loved it. Imagine how much more beautify is the God who made the mountains!

Mary Poole (190)

4 Completed4 Reviews

A great, beautiful hike that I have done several times. About halfway up you have an option to take a steeper or easier ascent. I have always taken the steeper, which is not that bad though I wouldn't recommend it if this is your first time hiking or have weak knees. The trail climbs up to a wonderful, expansive view. Bring lunch (and maybe a beer) for the top. As with most mountain trails, the descent is a breeze.

Holly Hansard (127)

15 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike! Kept a steady pace (family of 6) and came across a couple of other hikers. Make it to the top and the view is worth it.

Troy Souther (87)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful, and challenging hike that leaves right outside of Santa Fe. Lots of people were using it as a running trail, but we slogged up walking in hiking boots. Never the less, it was a nice challenge.

Brady Kazar (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

What a great hike! Very challenging but offers a less elevated path if so inclined. The views are stunning and the surrounding rocks and plant life is rewarding.

Joy Jackson (106)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Fantastic views! Love that trailhead is so close. Hiked on December 20, 2013. Icy conditions mostly on East side, recommend shoes with a lot of traction.

Ashley Kletke (217)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike. I haven't done much hiking and the pinkish sparkling mineral rock all the way up was an unexpected surprise. I'm from Michigan and have hiked in Colorado and that was something I hadn't seen. View from the top was breathtaking.

M Kenyon (79)

0 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome!

Ryan Smith (54)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Great hike for being so close to town. I must have hiked this trail close to a hundred times in the five years I lived in Santa Fe. The bottom is easy, but the switchback can get you huffing if you choose the steeper path. I think this hike is best done a part of a loop that hits Picacho peak. Picacho is a little lower that Atalaya (8500), but it's further out from the main ridge giving it better views of everything except Mt Thompson.

Support