La Luz Trail

#1 of 3 trails in elena gallegos picnic area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

8.8 mile trail at the north end of the Sandias, goes from the base of the mountain to the peak at 10,678'. Beautiful views of the Albuquerque valley to the west.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Cynthia Rangel Carrasco (119)

Beautiful hike!

Keith Warren (1102)

28 Completed19 Reviews

Josh, Mom(Lauri) and I hiked this trail together. I recalled when Lance and I and others cleaned this trail for his Eagle Scout project back in 1979.

Amber Harper-Slaboszewicz (108)

3 Completed2 Reviews

This hike is steep and hot at the beginning, but so worth it. The trail enters beautiful and dynamic forest shortly, and there are gorgeous views of the city and the mountains. Take more water than you need, as well as layers and sturdy boots. You wind up hiking across a rockslide for a mile or so in the middle. It may rain on summer afternoons, so be prepared.

If you go on a summer weekend and plan to take the tram down, prepare for a long wait. We wound up hiking back down rather than wait three hours. There is a restaurant at the top ("High Finance") where you can get a good salad or bowl of soup before hiking back down.

Kaley B. (422)

Uphill climb. Beautiful views. We hiked in the spring, so there was snow that we wouldn't have been able to get through without better equipment past a certain point. We turned around at the overlook (5 miles in), because the snow got bad right after that. The overlook was a nice spot to sit and eat our lunch while soaking in the view.

Ginger Hindman (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We hiked the Tram Trail to the La Luz, the Tram trail is not well marked and we missed the first junction to the La Luz, so added some time. It took us about 3 1/2 hours to get to the top. We took the Tram down for $12. I saw a guy at the bottom with a detailed trail map that I will get for next time.

Isaiah N. (133)

Great views!! Thin air with narrow single track paths. Watch your step!!

John Byer (47)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I can't believe I haven't hiked this one before. New favorite trail around ABQ without question. Hiked up and back down in 5:08. Burly, but amazing.

Kimberly Ferland (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome. Great views! Family of 5 (kids 12,10, 5). Had to carry the little guy for about 3 miles in the middle.

Heather Evans (62)

Gary Hornbeck (102)

2 Completed2 Reviews

GREAT HIKE! This is not a trail for beginner. The scenery of this trail is breathtaking. We parked at the base of the tram and hiked up to the summit and rode the tram back down. It added some mileage on the way up but we needed a exit plan due to the thunderstorms that were predicted for the afternoon. Only complaint I have was when we got behind a group of teenagers who were being loud. Parents please teach you kids to be quiet and respectful when hiking.

Support