La Luz Trail

#1 of 3 trails in elena gallegos picnic area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

8.8 mile trail at the north end of the Sandias, goes from the base of the mountain to the peak at 10,678'. Beautiful views of the Albuquerque valley to the west.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Heather Evans (62)

Gary Hornbeck (102)

2 Completed2 Reviews

GREAT HIKE! This is not a trail for beginner. The scenery of this trail is breathtaking. We parked at the base of the tram and hiked up to the summit and rode the tram back down. It added some mileage on the way up but we needed a exit plan due to the thunderstorms that were predicted for the afternoon. Only complaint I have was when we got behind a group of teenagers who were being loud. Parents please teach you kids to be quiet and respectful when hiking.

Kimberly Powell (879)

7 Completed6 Reviews

I really enjoyed the trails. Absolutely breathtaking views.

Kevin McDonald (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Yesterday we hiked the La Luz trail to the summit, and conditions were ok. The first five miles were easy and clear. The next three had snow in places. We had to slow down to go over the snow, but we did not sink in or slide, even thought we did not use ski poles or wear spikes. The whole trip took five hours. We started at 10 am and finished at 3 pm. We'll go up again soon, perhaps this weekend.

J Roberts (93)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Rock slides are snow and ice packed. Yak tracks are a must. Several places where snow but packed and my leg went completely through the cracks. Plan on at least an extra hour to navigate through the mess. A few places where new rock/mud/tree slides and be super cautious going over them. Everyone turned around but I went on in my running shoes. A pretty big mind game navigating some of the drop offs with a foot wide unstable ice path in places. What normally takes me 3 to 4 hours took 5 1/2. I would not do this again without yak tracks or spikes.

Jeffrey Sanchez (224)

9 Completed9 Reviews

The best hike I've done in New Mexico so far... great views for most of the trail, and the trail is in good shape and heavily traveled. I went a bit early in the season and thus had nearly 3 miles of snow-covered trail at the end, which ended up being slow going with just hiking poles (definitely should've had microspikes for that section). Great to have a nice restaurant and tram to get down, though the hike back to the car from the end of the tram is not short (2+ miles of a lot of up-and-down hiking).

s harris (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Spectacular hike, aspens at their peak right now, weather was amazing. I assumed it would be much harder than it was. Something I did not see in other reviews is that is gets pretty steep anddefinitely hardest the last half mile at the Sandia Crest spur trail (if someone is picking you up at the top). I guess most people head for the tram and go down, but during balloon fiesta the tram is very crowded. I agree with starting early, much of the hike was in the shade which is really nice for shadows. Great photos all the way. Definitely the best hike in the area!

LM JOHNSON (217)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Wonderful hike and amazing views of the City of Albuquerque. A number of places to stop and take a break for snacks/lunch. Hiked to the Tram and rode the Tram back down the Sandia mountain.

Marcos Bermudez (118)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Hardest hike I've done yet. Really enjoyed it. Would recommend to anyone interested in a tough hike. 5-7 miles are the hardest, but you can make it!

Rick Goshorn (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked this one last Sunday, perfect weather. partially the new trail, partially the old. Ranger Dave came by and said Hi, 85 years old and still hikes the old trail to the 5 mile mark twice a week

Support