Anthony's Nose Trail

#2 of 11 trails in Bear Mountain State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Anthony's Nose Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Cortlandt Manor, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from March until November.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Alex B (252)

11 Completed11 Reviews

Definitely worth it. Great views of Bear Mountain, Bear Mountain Bridge, Popolopen Torne and a fantastic view north up the Hudson River from a slightly hidden, unmarked side trail.

The first half of the ascent is pretty strenuous, but not especially difficult. The rest is fairly level.

john hayes (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I completed this trail on 10/12/2014. Great weather, clear sunny Fall day 60's in the sun. For reference, I an 48 yr old guy, 230lbs, 6'1", carried 18 lbs pack. I am a weekend warrior when it comes to hiking at this stage of the game.

I started the hike from the Toll House as I am told it is called; it is the parking area nearest the Camp Smith entrance. The trek I took was up to Anthony's Nose and back to the toll house. The trail's first climb from the Toll House warns you of the ascents and descents to come. It is a rocky trail. You will certainly get your exercise. The trail has some confusing blazes, but it is hard to get lost. You have the road (Route 6) to your left (NW) as you proceed north and the military reservation to the right (E/SE). If you go all the way to Anthony's Nose, midway you will come out at a second parking area. From this parking area up to Anthony's nose, there are some sections of the trail which are smoother before you get to some of the rocky ascents. From this parking lot to the marker on the top of the "Nose," it is a much shorter trip than it was from the Toll House to the second parking lot. Along the route, the views will show you the Bear Mountain Bridge to the North, panning West and to the South, you will see Bear Mountain, Iona Island, and then Indian Point Nuke Facility and the Peekskill Beach. Of course between you and Bear Mountain is the Hudson River; through the haze to the south you can see NYC.

I had just come off of a hike two days before in the Anthony Wayne Rec Area. While that hike was longer, a great hike too by the way, it was surprisingly not as much of a physical challenge as this trail. Anthony's Nose will keep your hear rate up. Although I had very close black bear encounter on the Anthony Wayne Rec trail which provided its own excitement (30 ft away) just after the shelter on the blue trail. Bears can get your heart rate up too ;-).

Again, I love the cardio, something I need at this stage of the game, and the views. I saw a few folks heading in late in the day about my age wearing running shoes. I expect they were in for some ankle exercise. I think they would be better off with a cross trainer if they were going to use a sneaker at all instead of hiking boot. I'd recommend a at least a light hiking boot in any event. My two cents.

The only down side is the restriction to the trail, so you won't be doing any land navigation, compass/map. You will see moderate hiker traffic on trail which may or may not be your thing; everyone was friendly along the route. It is worth the hike if you are in the region, or a day trip to the area. There is also plenty to do in the surrounding area if the trail over or underwhelms you, though I don't think it will underwhelm anyone.

There are much more family friendly trails in the area in terms of whether or not you would want to put your children on this trail. Depending on your parentitude, you can bring kids, 8+ from the second parking lot to Anthony's Nose. I would not take 7-10 yr olds up the initial climb from the Toll House. You will have your hands full getting them safely through the first rock ascent and two other forth coming descents (which become ascents on the way back). I saw people doing it, but I don't think it worth the risk. I am pretty certain they did not know what they were getting into, and I did not have the presence of mind to inquire at the end my hike. One twisted ankle and you have 45-60lbs to carry out, never mind the unthinkable fall. If you made the trip with kids and found the Toll House entry too much, you can fall back and go to the second parking lot and walk up to the Nose from there. If that was too much, you can take the kids over to Bear Mountain across the bridge and still make a day of it at Hessian Lake at Bear Mountain Lodge, even a small zoo. Sorry, I just wanted to give the parents some options ;-).

Ashutosh Saraf (40)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Rocky, steep but fun! We completed in 2 hours.

Uma Karkala (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went out with a friend and my dog. Great hike up,although coming down, it wasn't clear with the blue markings and we ended up half a mile north of were we parked. Had to walk along the road. Nevertheless, great views on the hikes and on the walk back. Would definitely do it again and this time follow the white trail back down.

David dlp (128)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great trail... One has to make sure that you follow the blazes however or you can end up on a federal shooting range and that is not a good thing.

Views are spectacular especially in the fall.

Greg Annunziata (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Tibor Stotz (1655)

72 Completed49 Reviews

Hope your ready ,first the write up is wrong ,about directions ! This trail starts with a near stairt up climb,great for the heart. The view is great ,nothing can compare to the Hudson .

Audrey Diestelkamp (76)

9 Completed2 Reviews

James Sullivan (177)

27 Completed4 Reviews

If you're looking for a challenging and extremely steep climb I recommend you go up from the Bridge cable.
It's well worth the effort once you get up top.
Excellent views of The Hudson River, Bear Mountain State Park and Bear Mountain Bridge!

Chris Calvett (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail kicked my ass..straight up most of the way then when you get to the top you think your almost there and it's even farther..overall a great walk beautiful views especially in the fall

Support