Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Blue Mountain Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

5 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike. Seems a bit longer than 4 miles round trip. View is unbelievable from the tower. Check around the cabin for a hidden item!

7 Completed 4 Reviews

I love this hike and is very special to me. I found it vey difficult as it is just s constant climb to the top , but the top is rewarding and has an amazing view of the Adirondacks. I have claimed this mountain 3 times and keep coming back.

18 Completed 15 Reviews

I have hiked this trail so many times. It is not a favorite. It's a good hike. The fire tower at the top is cool. The rewarding view does not come until you climb the fire tower which isn't that fun. The last portion of climbing has been called a "vertical sidewalk". It's not quite vertical but it can be very slippery and dangerous whether ascending or descending. Many times I have parked at the trailhead to get on the NP trail and there have been ambulances, medi-vac vans, helicopters, and other emergency vehicles there evacuating an injured hiker from Blue Mountain. There are other, better, safer hikes not too far away.

Person_placeholder

5 Completed 5 Reviews

this trail is great when it's dry! pretty steep, I had to rest a lot, but it was worth it! don't forget to check out the old cabin down behind the tower. :)

3 Completed 3 Reviews

We went early to avoid the crowds. The trail is narrow in spots. Lots of rocks. Save your energy and take lots of water and protein bars; the last mile was hard. Worth it. Views are wonderful.

14 Completed 4 Reviews

Great hike. Beautiful views. Seems to be a pretty popular trail though so you feel somewhat rushed in the fire tower.

5 Completed 7 Reviews

Busy trail. Not much solitude. Good view, but because it's so busy, you feel rushed. Easy parallel parking for an RV. Easy trail head to find.

Person_placeholder

6 Completed 4 Reviews

Great trail! Starts out easy then climbs steady for most of the way. Best views are from the tower.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

This trail is worth the effort. I got to the trail around 6am so there was not that many people. The hike is a little bit of a work out but that is what I look for in my trails. The people we met as we descended were all very friendly. This is one that I will come back to again and again.

92 Completed 87 Reviews

The trail is actually available year round, but can be very crowded in the summer. This is one of our favorite snow shoe hikes. We hiked this trail in summer which was nice but it was crowded. We hiked it again in January, the temp was 8 degrees at the trailhead and closer to -15 at the summit with the winds. It was cold enough where our water was slushing as we drank it and our sandwiches had turned to an icy-mush type of peanut butter and jelly :) The trail was light and fluffy with 3 feet of fresh snow that just hinted at that last snow shoe tracks and not a soul around but us. The first mile is easy terrain with fun crossings, the last mile starts the climb and brings you through some great woods. The view along the trail is excellent as you enter a variety of woodlands and you see the elevation change affect the types of vegetation. The view at the summit is open and very nice, much better from the tower. Either way it is worth the hike.

Support