Blue Mountain Trail

Blue Mountain Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking & snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

4.0 miles Out & Back 1559 feet
hiking snowshoeing views
Hide Map

Samantha Fox

1 Completed1 Reviews

No, this is a 6 mile out and back. Don't know how great the views are as there was an october snow storm when we got up there. Its not too difficult, but its not easy. We took our time and made it up and back in 3.5 hours.

Jasen Herrera

2 Completed1 Reviews

First time in the Adirondack area and it didn't disappoint. The entire trail was well cleared and marked in areas. The first half of the trail was fairly easy with some rocks and trees in the path, the second half was a bit more challenging, with solid rock faces and some serious incline. But the top is worth it, definitely get up the fire tower and the view will take your breath away.

Irimia Liviu

21 Completed3 Reviews

Emily Elwood

4 Completed3 Reviews

Really good hike with amazing views from the fire tower at the summit. We ended up getting caught in some unexpected rain, so the trail was quite slick on the way back down, but manageable.

Steven Swanson

7 Completed3 Reviews

As one of the older types, the "easy" rating is optimistic. It is a straight up (no switchbacks) climb of about 1400 feet in about a mile over bare rock faces. Take your time and it is fine, but don't expect easy. The views at the top are well worth the effort.

Kate Dimock

1 Completed1 Reviews

A great challenge for the beginner hiker. Short, but relatively difficult, especially when you have to do a little almost-rock-climbing towards the beginning. Not a trail to attempt when it's wet out due to the fact that most of the trail is solid rock. Lots of people on the trail- not for those who like solitude. The view from the top is really nice- picture worthy. Be prepared to have burning thighs and calves the next day- it's a pretty high incline.

James Lynn

5 Completed2 Reviews

Hiked this with my 14 year old son and as beginning hikers we found it pretty challenging. Lots of rocks and roots on the trail and quite a climb to the top. It had rained the night before and everything was a little wet, yet the footing on the bare rock was pretty good. The view from the fire tower is well worth the effort of getting there. Note: not a trail for those who want to be out there alone, lots of people on this hike.

Michael Kress

8 Completed5 Reviews

Vigorous hike, but not too overpowering -- I did it with my son when he was 8. The view at the top is spectacular, but only if you climb the fire tower. Else, the views are not so great. Watch out for wet trail after rain.

Judy Brazell

4 Completed4 Reviews

I give Blue Mountain a 3 only because there are no vistas on the way up where I can sit and take in the beauty. My husband and I (both 63 yo) started up early and it was quite quiet and peaceful at the top until a large group started arriving. We learned later 30 people in the party and the young people who arrived on top were very noisy. The views are awesome from the firepower but if the tower were not there it may have been more disappointing. It is obvious that the trail is maintained by professionals and they do a superb job of keeping it maintained. It was a dry day so the slides and the slabs were dry and that made for a great hike! We have been talking about taking this hike for years and glad we did it.

logan kandrovy

3 Completed1 Reviews

very well maintained. I'm 13 and went with a 39 year old. parts are a little scary because the path is mostly rock. but the view was well worth it. i highly recommend it.