Buttermilk Falls State Park

#1 of 2 trails in Buttermilk Falls State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Buttermilk Falls State Park is a 6.2 mile multiple route trail located near Ithaca, New York. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Courtney Schirling (142)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Hike here. The falls are gorgeous and the trails are well maintained. Just don't camp. It's right smack dab in the city of Ithaca so at night all you here are the wonderful sounds of highways

Jenny Chubaca (162)

8 Completed3 Reviews

First time to upstate New York and it didn't disappoint. It's amazing how lush the trail is. We hiked up Bear Trail to Treman Lake and down Rim Trail. Easy, beautiful hike.

Lauren Chiozza (54)

5 Completed1 Reviews

I was on a girls' trip to NYC then to Syracuse. After being in NYC for a few days we needed some fresh air! I love being outside but we had one or two girls who were not the outdoor pros but even they really enjoyed this hike. We started first on the Rim trail down to the falls then went back up the Gorge Trail. The Gorge trail has a better view of the falls but both trails together make a loop. The falls were very pretty and seemed to go on and on! Very pretty moderate hike, but with some stairs on the Gorge trail.

Kasey March (59)

3 Completed1 Reviews

We walked from the base of the falls up the Gorge Trail and then back along the Rim Trail. The falls are beautiful, even though the water level was very low. You can swim at the base of the falls where there is a life guard and picnic area which we did. The water was COLD as you'd expect but we had a great time.

Ryan McKenna (88)

8 Completed1 Reviews

good times

Donnie Moore (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Loved this park. While Gorge trail had the most to offer in terms of versatility and views, Treman Lake had some amazing spots as well. Make sure the swimming portion is open if going on a hot day. The rest of the reviews hit it on the head except for Brickman's, which completely misses the mark. Overall, this was a great day spot with sufficient off trail accessibility to keep even experienced hikers engaged. Would visit again for sure.

Rob Storm (62)

2 Completed2 Reviews

A lot of great views and rocks and tons of waterfalls. Gorge Trail is the best. Also, Brickman doesn't know what he is talking about.

Chris Roger (1044)

18 Completed19 Reviews

4/18/2014. The gorge trail is still closed due to patches of snow and ice along the path....

Holly Cornwell (99)

3 Completed3 Reviews

This is another nice hike in Ithaca. We went up the Rim trail, then onto the Bear trail, up to Treman Lake. Then doubled back and came down the Gorge Trail. If you only have time for one trail, do the Gorge Trail, it has the best scenic (gorge/waterfalls) view. We went midweek in November and rarely encountered another hiker. There is a really nice picnic area with grills and tables up by Treman Lake. I never knew the lake or picnic area existed.

Vanessa Bedford (145)

2 Completed1 Reviews

My boyfriend and I were IC students when we hiked this trail. We started at the top of the hill (closest to Ithaca College) and worked our way down first. Even though we went downhill first, we were so tired at the bottom that we actually took a nice nap on the blanket we brought for a picnic at the bottom in front of the waterfall. Best nap I ever had! I dreaded going back up the hill to campus but with frequent breaks to catch my breath, we hiked up in pretty good time. Can be slippery from time to time, so watch your step.

Support