Buttermilk Falls State Park

#1 of 2 trails in Buttermilk Falls State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Buttermilk Falls State Park is a 6.2 mile multiple route trail located near Ithaca, New York. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

5 Completed 1 Reviews

I was on a girls' trip to NYC then to Syracuse. After being in NYC for a few days we needed some fresh air! I love being outside but we had one or two girls who were not the outdoor pros but even they really enjoyed this hike. We started first on the Rim trail down to the falls then went back up the Gorge Trail. The Gorge trail has a better view of the falls but both trails together make a loop. The falls were very pretty and seemed to go on and on! Very pretty moderate hike, but with some stairs on the Gorge trail.

3 Completed 1 Reviews

We walked from the base of the falls up the Gorge Trail and then back along the Rim Trail. The falls are beautiful, even though the water level was very low. You can swim at the base of the falls where there is a life guard and picnic area which we did. The water was COLD as you'd expect but we had a great time.

8 Completed 1 Reviews

good times

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Loved this park. While Gorge trail had the most to offer in terms of versatility and views, Treman Lake had some amazing spots as well. Make sure the swimming portion is open if going on a hot day. The rest of the reviews hit it on the head except for Brickman's, which completely misses the mark. Overall, this was a great day spot with sufficient off trail accessibility to keep even experienced hikers engaged. Would visit again for sure.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

A lot of great views and rocks and tons of waterfalls. Gorge Trail is the best. Also, Brickman doesn't know what he is talking about.

18 Completed 19 Reviews

4/18/2014. The gorge trail is still closed due to patches of snow and ice along the path....

3 Completed 3 Reviews

This is another nice hike in Ithaca. We went up the Rim trail, then onto the Bear trail, up to Treman Lake. Then doubled back and came down the Gorge Trail. If you only have time for one trail, do the Gorge Trail, it has the best scenic (gorge/waterfalls) view. We went midweek in November and rarely encountered another hiker. There is a really nice picnic area with grills and tables up by Treman Lake. I never knew the lake or picnic area existed.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

My boyfriend and I were IC students when we hiked this trail. We started at the top of the hill (closest to Ithaca College) and worked our way down first. Even though we went downhill first, we were so tired at the bottom that we actually took a nice nap on the blanket we brought for a picnic at the bottom in front of the waterfall. Best nap I ever had! I dreaded going back up the hill to campus but with frequent breaks to catch my breath, we hiked up in pretty good time. Can be slippery from time to time, so watch your step.

3 Completed 2 Reviews

We completed 3 of the 4 trails in about an hour and forty minutes. We started at the base of Rim then did the Bear trail before doubling back and finishing with Gorge trail. The Rim trail starts you off right away with a good incline, the trail was well maintained and we saw a few deer and snakes! Not much as far as view on Rim, but it was a nice hike. Bear Trail was pretty easy, not much if any incline/decline so it's a nice change of pace from both Rim and/or Gorge. Gorge trail was beautiful and nice to be doing on the way back as I prefer stairs going down than up. If you want to do stairs up and trail coming down then I would suggest you start with Gorge and come back on Rim .

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Not sure how to delete my review below. I thought I was on Taughannock Falls. Sorry everyone :)

Support