Buttermilk Falls State Park

Ithaca, NY
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Buttermilk Falls State Park is a 6.2 mile multiple route trail located near Ithaca, New York. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

This is another nice hike in Ithaca. We went up the Rim trail, then onto the Bear trail, up to Treman Lake. Then doubled back and came down the Gorge Trail. If you only have time for one trail, do the Gorge Trail, it has the best scenic (gorge/waterfalls) view. We went midweek in November and rarely encountered another hiker. There is a really nice picnic area with grills and tables up by Treman Lake. I never knew the lake or picnic area existed.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

My boyfriend and I were IC students when we hiked this trail. We started at the top of the hill (closest to Ithaca College) and worked our way down first. Even though we went downhill first, we were so tired at the bottom that we actually took a nice nap on the blanket we brought for a picnic at the bottom in front of the waterfall. Best nap I ever had! I dreaded going back up the hill to campus but with frequent breaks to catch my breath, we hiked up in pretty good time. Can be slippery from time to time, so watch your step.

Icon_

3 Completed 2 Reviews

We completed 3 of the 4 trails in about an hour and forty minutes. We started at the base of Rim then did the Bear trail before doubling back and finishing with Gorge trail. The Rim trail starts you off right away with a good incline, the trail was well maintained and we saw a few deer and snakes! Not much as far as view on Rim, but it was a nice hike. Bear Trail was pretty easy, not much if any incline/decline so it's a nice change of pace from both Rim and/or Gorge. Gorge trail was beautiful and nice to be doing on the way back as I prefer stairs going down than up. If you want to do stairs up and trail coming down then I would suggest you start with Gorge and come back on Rim .

Person_placeholder

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Not sure how to delete my review below. I thought I was on Taughannock Falls. Sorry everyone :)

Person_placeholder

3 Completed 2 Reviews

This trail was great! Easy walk along a nice shaded wooded trail. The creek is low on water so you can even walk along the creek bed in several spots. We saw many children having fun walking along the creek bed. The waterfall itself is absolutely beautiful and should not be missed!!! We drove 5 hours to get here and it was worth it!! Will be back again

Icon_689e25bf61e0b1ada23a165a57355290

11 Completed 6 Reviews

Great hike long set of stairs from the bottom great falls!

24 Completed 22 Reviews

I very much enjoyed this trail. It isn't as spectacular as some of the nearby gorges (Treman Park, Watkins Glen), but still plenty worth the trip. The trail is decently well kept and affords some nice views. It's a popular park: even with the weather being in the low 40s, there were lots of people (and dogs). You'll only find an agressive incline in the northern most part (near the falls) - so people looking for an easy hike can easily drive to the back parking lot and still hike most of it.

8 Completed 6 Reviews

Amazing Gorge Trail. The water was a little dry on the falls. I heard that Spring is the best time of the year to view the falls. When the water is gushing down the falls. There is a cave inside one of the canyons that have a water fall in it.

5 Completed 9 Reviews

I have been to Buttermilk Falls state Park many times. Nice place to hike with nice views of the falls. It is not a place to go if you want to be secluded. There are usually a good amount of people there but still a nice trail. Not a difficult hike, good for children and dogs.

Support