Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Beacon is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Beacon, New York and is rated as moderate. It is a challenging uphill climb that pays off in spades. Fantastic panoramic views of the Hudson, Newburgh, and Beacon. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Alex B (252)

11 Completed11 Reviews

A quick and easy, but slightly strenuous ascent up a service road to an old factory building and radio tower. Good views of the city of Beacon, Hudson River and Catskills in the distance. Alternate trails go to reservoir (I've been), fire tower (have not been) and casino ruins (have not been).

Matthew Hoffman (312)

7 Completed4 Reviews

Pretty busy on the weekend. Good views of the Hudson at the top. Not a difficult ascent, but is fairly steep most of the way.

Lynn Ecsedy (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

For an older, kind of out of shape hike, a lot of stops to catch my breath were required, but there was plenty to look at and enjoy on these stops. The view from the top was totally worth it. Lots of friendly fellow hikers. I wish I'd know about a trail from the top that led to another vantage point where you can reportedly see NYC and Albany on a clear day.

Sibora Reed (2428)

46 Completed36 Reviews

The views from the top were very enjoyable, however I am disappointed with the overall hiking experience.The air kept getting thicker as we kept getting higher which was a cause of the many arrays of chemtrails splashed over the sky as thick veils creating unnatural colors while new ones kept forming. This probably contributed to the dying nature around the whole area (despite it being summertime), the lack of wild life altogether except for a few horseflies,and the strong pungent smell of dried dying murky earth all the way to the top. Sch a shame because it seemed as though it was a really nice lively area at one point.

Bryan Kluth (1538)

77 Completed30 Reviews

Better views than Breakneck.

Michele Jonigan (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I hike this mountain frequently. Great workout and the views never get old! People are very friendly and there are plenty of pooches to pet on the way up!

Will A (297)

12 Completed10 Reviews

A very nice hike. One of the few mountains available in the Lower Hudson Valley. I encountered a bit of ice on the trail near the top but still certainly doable without any special equipment other than hiking boots.

Alyssa Masucci (70)

2 Completed2 Reviews

A perfect day trip from NYC: take Metro North Railroad for a scenic 90 minute train ride along the Hudson. Once in Beacon, walk roughly 25 minutes on Walcott Avenue to the Mount Beacon trailhead. It's a steep, rigorous climb to the top - about 45 minutes. Follow the Red trail markers. Not as many crowds as Cold Spring or Breakneck Ridge. Back down the mountain is pretty easy, about 30 minutes. Walk into town for lunch at Homespun Foods, a stroll along Main Street and end the day with a visit to the Dia Beacon.

Courtney Krom (182)

7 Completed4 Reviews

PHEW mount beacon was my very first hike, and I was dripping sweat by the time I was done, my first look at the stairs and I almost gave up right then and there, I'm so glad I didnt because the view from the summit is amazing, and now Mt Beacon is one of my favorite hikes. If you're up for it keep going! Take the red trail to go to the fire tower and climb up that and it feels like you're at the top of the world. Warning though- if you have a dog you may want to consider leaving them at the bottom of the tower- the stairs can be very sharp on their paws.

James K. (61)

Great hike. We hiked up to the old casino and cable car ruins. This is supposed to be 1 mile up the trail. It is a hike with substantial elevation change, It should be no problem for anyone in average condition. It did take a solid 45 minutes to get to this point. I don't know how the reviews state the full 3.5 mile loop can be done in 1 hour.

Support