Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Beacon is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Beacon, New York and is rated as moderate. It is a challenging uphill climb that pays off in spades. Fantastic panoramic views of the Hudson, Newburgh, and Beacon. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Picture?width=50&height=50

28 Completed 23 Reviews

The views from the top were very enjoyable, however I am disappointed with the overall hiking experience.The air kept getting thicker as we kept getting higher which was a cause of the many arrays of chemtrails splashed over the sky as thick veils creating unnatural colors while new ones kept forming. This probably contributed to the dying nature around the whole area (despite it being summertime), the lack of wild life altogether except for a few horseflies,and the strong pungent smell of dried dying murky earth all the way to the top. Sch a shame because it seemed as though it was a really nice lively area at one point.

Picture?width=50&height=50

67 Completed 22 Reviews

Better views than Breakneck.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I hike this mountain frequently. Great workout and the views never get old! People are very friendly and there are plenty of pooches to pet on the way up!

10 Completed 10 Reviews

A very nice hike. One of the few mountains available in the Lower Hudson Valley. I encountered a bit of ice on the trail near the top but still certainly doable without any special equipment other than hiking boots.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

A perfect day trip from NYC: take Metro North Railroad for a scenic 90 minute train ride along the Hudson. Once in Beacon, walk roughly 25 minutes on Walcott Avenue to the Mount Beacon trailhead. It's a steep, rigorous climb to the top - about 45 minutes. Follow the Red trail markers. Not as many crowds as Cold Spring or Breakneck Ridge. Back down the mountain is pretty easy, about 30 minutes. Walk into town for lunch at Homespun Foods, a stroll along Main Street and end the day with a visit to the Dia Beacon.

6 Completed 4 Reviews

PHEW mount beacon was my very first hike, and I was dripping sweat by the time I was done, my first look at the stairs and I almost gave up right then and there, I'm so glad I didnt because the view from the summit is amazing, and now Mt Beacon is one of my favorite hikes. If you're up for it keep going! Take the red trail to go to the fire tower and climb up that and it feels like you're at the top of the world. Warning though- if you have a dog you may want to consider leaving them at the bottom of the tower- the stairs can be very sharp on their paws.

James Kurz

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Great hike. We hiked up to the old casino and cable car ruins. This is supposed to be 1 mile up the trail. It is a hike with substantial elevation change, It should be no problem for anyone in average condition. It did take a solid 45 minutes to get to this point. I don't know how the reviews state the full 3.5 mile loop can be done in 1 hour.

6 Completed 6 Reviews

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Nice trail! It's a nice hike with great views! I hiked this for the first time the other day. A few warnings: people with dogs be careful of their pads. My dog has very tuff pads and his got ripped up on this trail. One other thing the trail is not well marked. Once you get passed the over look it may just be me but after I passed there I was lost trying to get to the fire tower because there were not a lot of trial markers.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

This hike is an old fave. If you go at a steady pace you can reach the Incline ruins in about 30-40 minutes. The view is spectacular. It's a great spot to stop for a breather.
Keep goin yo. Head east (away from the Hudson) and follow the red trail markers. My favorite loop is to go up to the fire tower and then loop around to the reservoir and then connect back to the Mt Beacon trail. If you don't feel like going to the fire tower (shame shame) then where the trail first forks go left and that will take you to the reservoir.
But. If you keep going to the firetower you're in for an epic view by golly. You can get to the tower by going right at the part of the trail where it's split by a HUGE rock. It's about 10-15 minutes from Mt Beacon. So go to the top of the tower, take some selfies, look around, shout "I'm king of the world!" a few times, drop your pants, feel the breeze on your bum (optional)...
Don't forget your pants and then head on down to the reservoir. Go back to where that mother rock is and then go to the right. This is a wee bit tricky. Go like 10 yards and you'll see a deer trail to your left. Trust me. Follow it and it will take you to the reservoir. Whenever I've gone I've just followed the sound of screaming children. This trail will take you by a sweet rope swing. keep going around the Rez and it'll take you back to the beacon trail. Boom. Make sure you go for dip even though its technically illegal, you rebel you.

Support