Tongue Mountain Range Loop

#11 of 249 trails in Adirondack Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Tongue Mountain Range Loop is a 14 mile loop trail located near Bolton Landing, New York that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Pierre Gerard (84)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Mostly agreed with the last poster. Parked at Clay Meadow on a Sunday evening, started out with a light hike to Fifth Peak to watch the sun set (so beautiful) and set up in the lean-to. Got a late start in the morning, which was a mistake because 1) it was the end of summer, so it got up to maybe 80F, and 2) we'd made the unfortunate mistake of only bringing about 3-4 liters of water each, which caused us to run out around mile 10 of 14. The peaks were actually really beautiful and just about worth the effort despite the heat and "relentless ups and downs" that I had heard about before. The final five miles were actually mostly miserable, since not having water combined with a somewhat gloomy swamp area made it feel much much longer than it actually was (about 2-3 hours, since we were pretty exhausted from the rest of the hike). So, essentially, this hike is not for inexperienced.

Jennifer R. (219)

overall great hike. the views from the top (first 9 miles) are amazing. there are many spots on the trail that offer beautiful views that look down at the south end of the lake. the last 5 miles wasn't anything like the beginning, walking low along the water. the whole trip is very strenuous and there are lots of mosquitos. we also came across 2 rattlesnakes. overall, it was a great, exhausting hike. if I could make one suggestion is to do it in the fall to avoid the bugs and the heat.

James Heath IV (288)

12 Completed8 Reviews

Snowshoeing this mountain was insanely difficult, but it had more to do with the time of the year we went than the trail itself. Once there is a good thaw I recommend you be very careful even if it snows again. We had a very slippery walk back down because the whole trail was basically an ice slide with a little bit of snow over it.

Heather Rosman (989)

25 Completed4 Reviews

Phenomenal. I started early in the morning, heading east on five mile point trail. It was beautiful, with light rain and fog. The waterfalls were beautiful. I wish I'd planned more time to lollygag around the. Then I headed toward Montcairn point; when I reached the first viewpoint I knew the ups and downs of the peaks were worth the huffing and puffing. Look out for adorable little orange geckos. I saw a peregrine falcon and some very big centipedes. No snakes to be found! Even on the sunshine warm rocks. There are some odd little insects; they look somewhere between a grasshopper and a moth, rustle through the underbrush and make clicking noises that gave me a little jump at first. Montcairn point wasn't marked and is easy to miss because the trail is windy as it turns northwesterly. Lots of rocky downhill. Wish I'd had poles to for the knees. Amazing way to spend the day alone in the wilderness. Definitely going again. Hopefully on snowshoes :)

Darren Triller (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Did the Clay Meadow to Montcalm Point to 5th Peak loop today (mid August). Took about 7 hours. We pressed the pace because we started a bit later than planned and didn't want to get caught out in diminished daylight.. It was a beautiful 75 degrees and low humidity. Views were spectacular, and we had a great trip. Saw only one small garter snake, but brought a long walking stick along and made lots of noise, especially along the rock slabs and trail near the exposed outlooks. I agree with other posts that the trails are not particularly well marked (especially from the direction we went), and that the hike is not for the faint of heart. Ups and downs were pretty strenuous, especially if you are going to try and do it in a single day. The views and the changes in scenery are among the best we've scene. Will definitely do again, starting early and taking more time on stops to relax. Definitely worth the trip.

Julia Dranov (66)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was my first backpacking trip and although it is a very strenuous trail when with packs, it was unbelievably great. On the first day my boyfriend and I started out at Clay Meadow and traversed the 5 peaks until we got to Montcalm Point, where we camped for the night. This took us about 7 hours with packs to complete, with a few rests in between. The views from the peaks are absolutely spectacular, but the ups and downs are truly brutal, with a few areas where you have to sort of sit and slide through some of the descents. We brought 6 huge bottles of water thinking that we had overpacked, but it turned out that we had brought just enough water for the two of us, and were even a bit dehydrated after the first day. The campsites at Montcalm Point are wonderful, with fire pits and ample space to pitch a tent right by the lake, where you can swim as other reviewers have said. The sunset from the lake is a serious sight to behold, and it was an amazing place to camp for the night.The second day we covered the 5.7 miles from Montcalm Point back to Clay Meadows, which was extremely wet and muddy and not very plesant despite some incredible waterfalls and lake views. Definitely make sure to bring a ton of bug spray because you will absolutely need it for this portion of the hike. The last thing I will mention here is that we did see a couple of rattlesnakes near the trail - and they did rattle at us to let us know that they were there. Overall this is nothing to be afraid of because they are not aggressive creatures; we made some noise when they rattled and tried to take a long route around them or wait for them to move away from the trail, but I think it is very important to watch where you're going and make sure you don't accidentally step on one.

Chris Marion (1077)

14 Completed13 Reviews

Today a friend and I set out to hike the Lower Tongue Mountain loop. We started at Clay Meadow parking and headed up to 5th Peak. From there we worked our way south going up and down many times over many peak with AMAZING views. This was the best hike I've been on so far. There are only 3 significant peaks, but a few smaller ones in between each. Every peak and every side trail leads to more beautiful views each time. Some parts are a little tricky. We had to climb down steep rocky areas and slide down a few safely. Once we got to Montcalm Point we took the trail along the shore back. Anyone who hikes from Clay Meadow to the point then up and over the peaks better be in amazing shape. If you're in good shape hiking the route we took is well worth it. We started the hike at 9:30am and finished at 7:30pm. 14.07 miles in 10hrs4min

Tara Berlin (854)

23 Completed25 Reviews

You have to love those rattle snakes...I went on an overnight back packing trip...my friend had an attack of heat exhaustion...we hiked a bit more and set up camp....the next day on the way down the loop we found a snake skin of a 4 foot snake... crossing the trail...2 minutes later I came in contact with a 4 foot black snake with a rattle on his tail....I almost stepped on him!!!!!...I was a foot from him holding my foot in the air (as I was about to step on him until I noticed him)...he was probably 3 to 4 inches in diameter...My boyfriend told me to step back...My response was "get the camera"...when you come off the mountain and line up with lake George...you can go swimming but watch out for them water snakes! Fabulous experience and trail!!!! 5 STARS!!!!!!!!

Deb Osterhoudt (8732)

92 Completed87 Reviews

We did this trail in late March a few years back and used it as a way to get our High Peak legs back from the winter slumber. The trail is long with quite a bit of up and down as you enjoy the peaks but it is a very enjoyable hike with varied terrain, scenic crossings and summit views. We will do it again.

Maria Hannigan (122)

7 Completed2 Reviews

I did the trail starting from Clay Meadows to the Montcalm trail. This was not marked well at all you will have to look for the white marker. This hike was a very challenging 14 mile hike . This is NOT a loop trail. It is 7 miles to the 1st peak with a 7 mile return back. The trails are not marked very well in quite a few areas. This hike took me 8 hours. This isnt a scenic hike. There are Timber Rattlesnakes as well. I suggest Cat & Thomas mountain if your looking for a hike with great views.

Support