Cumberland Knob Recreation Area Trails

Ennice, NC
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cumberland Knob Recreation Area Trails is a 2.5 mile loop trail located near Ennice, North Carolina and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

6 Completed 7 Reviews

Icon_58476a5b6820f85ea60343172f9f9cf7

2 Completed 2 Reviews

We celebrated our 41st anniversary while enjoying this day hike trail in 90*+ weather! Thankfully we read on AllTrails.com the wise recommendation to approach the Cumberland Knob Loop "counter-clockwise".

Great advice! Exiting the Loop by way of Cully Creek Gorge kept us cooler & in the shade when we needed it most! Plus the added benefit of the switchbacks were so much easier to traverse than the straight up grind we would have endured otherwise!
Thanks for the "tip"!

5 Completed 1 Reviews

Definitely hike this trail in reverse. The traditional "front" of the trail has a series of switchbacks, making the ascent easier if you hike it in reverse. Many beautiful stream crossings. Great place for a day hike.

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Great hike -- I almost missed out due to the rather severe warning regarding "serious outdoorsman" only. This is well maintained trail with a number of natural creek crossings and small waterfalls. As it starts at the top of the mountain, it is a descend and ascend trek. Depending on which way you proceed around the loop, either the descent or the ascent will be along a series of small creeks that join into Gulley Creek at the bottom. I would recommend taking it counterclockwise, so you have the creeks with you on the way back up - more excuses to stop and catch your breath! It is a fairly strenous trek -- it took me an hour and a half to complete the 2.5 mile loop from the parking lot area.

0 Completed 1 Reviews

Great trail. I really enjoyed it, but I don't recommend being the first person on the trail for the day. I ran into entirely too many spider webs.

My favorite trail!

0 Completed 1 Reviews

Great Hike. Love all the water crossings. Not busy and great for dogs too.

Support