Mount Mitchell - North Carolina Highpoint

#1 of 9 trails in Mount Mitchell State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for birding, hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Stacey Wooden (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Our first hike in NC, and this 54 yr old mom and her two teenage sons made it up in 3.5 hrs, down in 3.0. I don't think we fully realized how much uphill we hiked until coming down - which seemed endless. The trail condition was very good, well marked and with several small streams to fill up water bottles (which we did twice rather than carry the load). Compared to hiking in the West, it was more like a long uphill slog through the forest - no exposure and no rock scrambling. Well worth the effort and highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a physical endurance challenge. Note: We parked in the lot across the creek from the Black Mountain campground and walked to the trail head near the campground office.

David Schroeder (100)

30 Completed2 Reviews

Quite the hike. Constant climbing but never too steep. Took more of a toll on my body coming down. A number of places to take a wrong turn so make sure you always keep an eye out for the blue blazes. Kinda a bummer at the top seeing a parking lot and lots of tourists but what can you do?

Gary Boyd (97)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Excellent hike in near-peak conditions. A good effort required and be sure to take water, although I did cross a stream on the way up...it had rained profusely the 2 days prior to my hike, which is why I elected not to camp at Black Mtn CG. Great scenery on the way and took my time to take a lot of photos. A "must" hike for this area.

Taylor Farr (256)

14 Completed12 Reviews

richard kitts (82)

15 Completed1 Reviews

Ive done it twice and it was rough both times ..lol Bring Lots of WATER

Ryan Todd (1825)

23 Completed23 Reviews

First hike on the east coast and it defiantly lives up to its reputation. I summited in 3.5 hrs and I had all the essential gear required for cold weather hiking in addition to extra incase I got stuck out for the night. The temperature at black mountain campground was 43 degrees but at the summit it was 13 degrees with wind chill and 15 Mph winds. Even the visitors at the top turned around before taking any pics, kinda sad... The trail is well maintained but on one section of the trail the gps coordinates On my Garmin were incorrect so I had to do some bush waking for about 300 feet. Make sure you bring not only a good GPS but a trail map as well. The trail also had ice on it so this made things dangerous in some areas. Didn't really take the time to observe the views until I made it to the top. The cold wether kept me going and I knew if I stopped I would only get cold. Overall not a bad hike for taking a year off from hiking but I think I have been spoiled by the cascades in WA.

Brandon Berry (1353)

19 Completed17 Reviews

Very tough trail! We summited in 2hr 20mins and that's a HAUL!! Trail is mostly steep all the time and where it goes flat you might get in 20 or so paces before your back to the grind. I highly recommend tracking poles especially if hiking at the cold time of year as you will find ice on trail once you turn up at Camp Alice. One great thing about this trail is lots of rewarding views on the way up except for the power lines :-\ Great trail but definitely take the strenuous rating of this trail serious.

william fulmer (121)

10 Completed2 Reviews

This trail is no joke. If you can't run about 10 miles don't even attempt this hike. Even if you can, be prepared for one of the hardest hikes this side of the Mississippi. If you get to the top, the rangers and staff are really nice people. If you get a chance, say hi to Amanda at the concession stand, she is one hip chick. She definitely helped out some Atlanta people on May 9th! Make sure to get some serious hiking shoes (water proof), tons of water, and make sure you are in shape. The highest point Appalachians is not to be played with!

Taylor Farr (256)

14 Completed12 Reviews

Tough, but fun and totally worth it.

Lucius Cattywhompus (480)

57 Completed13 Reviews

For me, this was a bugger of a trail. We started before daylight in hopes of reaching the summit at sunrise....Not our most gracefull hike. Yet we did manage to summit about 20 minutes after daybreak and had the top of the Eastern United States to ourselves for about an hour. I give it 4 stars for the view and the ecosystem, but not so much for the trail itself. That could be in part to us trying to ascend in darkness. We ate a fine lunch in the lodge and then hiked a few of the smaller side nature trails around the top of the mountain. To be able to live here in southern appalachia and experience something that close to a Canadian forest is amazing. I have come to realize, that some of my hikes will be one time experiences. I have made the journey, stood and marveled in its glory, and never will I return. Mount Mitchell and its surrounding trails is not on that list. I shall return.

Support