Mount Mitchell - North Carolina Highpoint

Burnsville, NC
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for birding, hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Asheville, NC: Mount Mitchell State Park is located approximately 33 miles northeast of Asheville. To reach this trail, take the Big Laurel Gap exit, milepost #346, off the Blue Ridge Parkway, You will be on Forest Road 2074. Travel about 3 miles (passing Forest Road 472) to signs for the Black Mountain Campground. Trail begins in the upper loop.

North Carolina Div. Of Travel and Tourism, 301 N. Wilmington Street , Raleigh, NC, 27601, Phone: 919-733-4171

9 Completed 12 Reviews

15 Completed 1 Reviews

Ive done it twice and it was rough both times ..lol Bring Lots of WATER

22 Completed 23 Reviews

First hike on the east coast and it defiantly lives up to its reputation. I summited in 3.5 hrs and I had all the essential gear required for cold weather hiking in addition to extra incase I got stuck out for the night. The temperature at black mountain campground was 43 degrees but at the summit it was 13 degrees with wind chill and 15 Mph winds. Even the visitors at the top turned around before taking any pics, kinda sad... The trail is well maintained but on one section of the trail the gps coordinates On my Garmin were incorrect so I had to do some bush waking for about 300 feet. Make sure you bring not only a good GPS but a trail map as well. The trail also had ice on it so this made things dangerous in some areas. Didn't really take the time to observe the views until I made it to the top. The cold wether kept me going and I knew if I stopped I would only get cold. Overall not a bad hike for taking a year off from hiking but I think I have been spoiled by the cascades in WA.

19 Completed 17 Reviews

Very tough trail! We summited in 2hr 20mins and that's a HAUL!!

Trail is mostly steep all the time and where it goes flat you might get in 20 or so paces before your back to the grind. I highly recommend tracking poles especially if hiking at the cold time of year as you will find ice on trail once you turn up at Camp Alice.

One great thing about this trail is lots of rewarding views on the way up except for the power lines :-\

Great trail but definitely take the strenuous rating of this trail serious.

10 Completed 2 Reviews

This trail is no joke. If you can't run about 10 miles don't even attempt this hike. Even if you can, be prepared for one of the hardest hikes this side of the Mississippi. If you get to the top, the rangers and staff are really nice people. If you get a chance, say hi to Amanda at the concession stand, she is one hip chick. She definitely helped out some Atlanta people on May 9th!

Make sure to get some serious hiking shoes (water proof), tons of water, and make sure you are in shape. The highest point Appalachians is not to be played with!

9 Completed 12 Reviews

Tough, but fun and totally worth it.

58 Completed 13 Reviews

For me, this was a bugger of a trail. We started before daylight in hopes of reaching the summit at sunrise....Not our most gracefull hike. Yet we did manage to summit about 20 minutes after daybreak and had the top of the Eastern United States to ourselves for about an hour. I give it 4 stars for the view and the ecosystem, but not so much for the trail itself. That could be in part to us trying to ascend in darkness. We ate a fine lunch in the lodge and then hiked a few of the smaller side nature trails around the top of the mountain. To be able to live here in southern appalachia and experience something that close to a Canadian forest is amazing. I have come to realize, that some of my hikes will be one time experiences. I have made the journey, stood and marveled in its glory, and never will I return. Mount Mitchell and its surrounding trails is not on that list. I shall return.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

A rough trail, but manageable. Brought my 45lbs. Pack up the mountain with me and reached the top in about 5 hours. Took my time and enjoyed every minute of tranquility! After we reached the top my buddy and I took the old Mitchell trail, to the camp Alice trail, meeting up with the commissary trail and the finally running back into the mount Mitchell trail. We slept maybe a mile or so back down the trail. Not quite Higgins bald, because we lost. Lot of daylight. A wind storm came through at night, but I had no troubles because of my cold weather training in the military. Next day we started out early. Made it down with plenty of time in the day left. Be very cautious on the trail because the leaves cover the hidden roots and rocks. Found a family or deer, but besides that it was quite on the mountain. Great time and a great trail. Be good at read the trail, for there are bear in the area. We had no problems and I saw no fresh signs of bears in the area.

16 Completed 16 Reviews

Gets 4 stars because of the elevation, not the hike. Fun place to visit,good food here too! Moderate climb to the summit with trails all around. Can see bears here...so no food! Elisha Mitchell burial site at top of mountain is cool. The dude the mountain is named for...was a professor at N.C.and fell to his death while hiking here in the 1800's. Lots of Spuce, Fir and Balsam trees...rub em betwixt your fingers and smells like Christmas!

71 Completed 31 Reviews

Mount Mitchell is the highest peak of the Appalachian Mountains and the highest peak in the eastern United States. There are few views on the trail because of heavy tree canopy. A lot of reviews here reference how difficult the trail is, I found it no worse than any of the higher trails in the smokies, It is no worse than any of the popular Mt. LeConte trails. One thing that I've not see elsewhere is the mineral (maybe mica) that causes the rock on Mt. Mitchell to have a slight glitter, I hiked this trail after a night of rain and the stuff was all over the trail, a very neat thing to notice. It's kind of a let down to emerge from the trail and see a parking lot at the the view you just "earned", aside from that it's a nice hike and you access it from the Blue Ridge Parkway which affords many other trails and views.

Support