Mount Mitchell - North Carolina Highpoint

#1 of 9 trails in Mount Mitchell State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for birding, hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Brett S (73)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Best trail I've hiked. Agree with all the practical advice, poles especially before the snow and ice are completely gone. My goal was to summit in 3 hours, made it in 3:10, and I felt like I couldn't have gone much faster in the conditions. The road to the summit was not yet open for the season, i had the summit all to myself. It was 35 at the base at 8 am, and about 65 at the summit with beautiful blue skies. It was a glorious reward for the effort.

Casey Hunter (67)

2 Completed2 Reviews

I have never gone “hiking” so to speak. My family and I decided to rent a cabin in NC by Mt. Mitchell. I started reading reviews of the area and found out this (Mt. Mitchell) was considered a difficult hike. I brought a 40-45 pound pack with me and expected to stay overnight if necessary. My total mileage for the day was just over 15, from the cabin to the summit and back. I brought 3 liters of water and several cliff bars. We had clear skies and somewhat warm temperatures. NOTE: there is a split on the trail at Higgins Bald which adds about ¼ mile to it. With this said, just prior to HB there is a smaller split. If you are on the ascent keep left and you will run into the “real” split where Higgins Bald is clearly marked. If you go right at the smaller “split” about 2:00/2:30 minutes slow walk, you will see a sign for an over look. Here is a spot for a great picture, if the day is clear. Also it is a good reference point, if you are teaching someone to use a compass and map.

I decided to go Higgins Bald on the way up and Mt. Mitchell path on the way back. If you are climbing the mountain take Higgins Bald up or down, it has great views and is worth it. You will come across a tree there, which has to be over 300 years old. Very cool. Either route you will cross a small stream, which isn’t bad at all to cross. Conversely, we did this hike on 04-01-15 and it had snowed on 03-29-15 therefore I couldn’t say with certainty how it would be after a good rain. My partner wore sneakers and I had Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. He has very strong ankles and was able to keep his feet dry on the hike. I have weak ankles and was very thankful to have my boots.

The trail did have sections covered in ICE and snow but wasn’t bad. I gave it a 3 on the 1-10 (10 being the worst) suck meter. Make sure you bring a topographic map and compass, just in-case. I used mine several times, just to reassure my partner we were on the right course. Give yourself between 4-10 hours to summit and return. I was wearing a 40-45 pound pack, and was able to get up in 3:55 and return in 2:54. The way down was worse than the climb for me. After rolling my ankle several times I ended up cutting down a small tree and making a walking stick. Still have the stick, and if it wasn’t for my boots I would have really hurt myself. All and all it was a great time and required a good effort. I wouldn’t recommend someone attempt this as your first “hike” like me, unless you have work background which involved mountains. However, it is a great hike and I recommend it for midlevel and above hikers. Good luck and have fun!

Stacey Wooden (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Our first hike in NC, and this 54 yr old mom and her two teenage sons made it up in 3.5 hrs, down in 3.0. I don't think we fully realized how much uphill we hiked until coming down - which seemed endless. The trail condition was very good, well marked and with several small streams to fill up water bottles (which we did twice rather than carry the load). Compared to hiking in the West, it was more like a long uphill slog through the forest - no exposure and no rock scrambling. Well worth the effort and highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a physical endurance challenge. Note: We parked in the lot across the creek from the Black Mountain campground and walked to the trail head near the campground office.

David Schroeder (365)

30 Completed2 Reviews

Quite the hike. Constant climbing but never too steep. Took more of a toll on my body coming down. A number of places to take a wrong turn so make sure you always keep an eye out for the blue blazes. Kinda a bummer at the top seeing a parking lot and lots of tourists but what can you do?

Gary Boyd (97)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Excellent hike in near-peak conditions. A good effort required and be sure to take water, although I did cross a stream on the way up...it had rained profusely the 2 days prior to my hike, which is why I elected not to camp at Black Mtn CG. Great scenery on the way and took my time to take a lot of photos. A "must" hike for this area.

Taylor Farr (569)

21 Completed20 Reviews

richard kitts (82)

15 Completed1 Reviews

Ive done it twice and it was rough both times ..lol Bring Lots of WATER

Ryan Todd (1826)

23 Completed23 Reviews

First hike on the east coast and it defiantly lives up to its reputation. I summited in 3.5 hrs and I had all the essential gear required for cold weather hiking in addition to extra incase I got stuck out for the night. The temperature at black mountain campground was 43 degrees but at the summit it was 13 degrees with wind chill and 15 Mph winds. Even the visitors at the top turned around before taking any pics, kinda sad... The trail is well maintained but on one section of the trail the gps coordinates On my Garmin were incorrect so I had to do some bush waking for about 300 feet. Make sure you bring not only a good GPS but a trail map as well. The trail also had ice on it so this made things dangerous in some areas. Didn't really take the time to observe the views until I made it to the top. The cold wether kept me going and I knew if I stopped I would only get cold. Overall not a bad hike for taking a year off from hiking but I think I have been spoiled by the cascades in WA.

Brandon Berry (1353)

19 Completed17 Reviews

Very tough trail! We summited in 2hr 20mins and that's a HAUL!!

Trail is mostly steep all the time and where it goes flat you might get in 20 or so paces before your back to the grind. I highly recommend tracking poles especially if hiking at the cold time of year as you will find ice on trail once you turn up at Camp Alice.

One great thing about this trail is lots of rewarding views on the way up except for the power lines :-\

Great trail but definitely take the strenuous rating of this trail serious.

william fulmer (127)

10 Completed2 Reviews

This trail is no joke. If you can't run about 10 miles don't even attempt this hike. Even if you can, be prepared for one of the hardest hikes this side of the Mississippi. If you get to the top, the rangers and staff are really nice people. If you get a chance, say hi to Amanda at the concession stand, she is one hip chick. She definitely helped out some Atlanta people on May 9th!

Make sure to get some serious hiking shoes (water proof), tons of water, and make sure you are in shape. The highest point Appalachians is not to be played with!

Support