Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

#1 of 6 trails in Hocking Hills State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Grandma Gate wood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Logan, Ohio that features a cave. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Where are there spots for little ones to swim along trails? I've heard there's a small swim hole on way to devils bathtub? And is TH George trail in old mans cave the lower falls one where you can swim?

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Ignore that last guy, he clearly has that "Everything is better out west" mentality. It's a path in the wilderness, therefore it's hiking. The best thing about this trail to me are the options you have depending on your situation. You can make short hikes in and out at different spots with young kids, take those with lesser mobility on the mostly-paved Ash Cave trail, go for the long haul on various terrain by yourself, and have several options where to start and end your trip. The scenery is gorgeous, wildlife is plentiful, and it can be as easy or hard as you want it.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

These "hikes" in hocking hills are laughable. These are truly nature walks, they are not hikes, and the assembly of people who define "hiking" in this state need to spend a weekend in the mountains of Maui, Sedona, AZ, and Zion in Utah. Maybe the Appalachians in PA as well for a bit of a well rounded comprehension on what a hike is. These are at best, long and connected family nature walks.

9 Completed 7 Reviews

Only been on part of the this trail because it's so stunning you are tempted to take it slow. Make sure you bring a camera. My favorite parts are the waterfalls, the Devil's bathtub, the moss on the walls, the bridges and the "caves" which are really ledges deeply recessed into the wall of the gorge. This trip is a treat. Best for adults and older kids (8 and above).

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Love taking my family to Logan! This turkey is a beautiful hike and the waterfall is great, the kids like to swim there. The cave is huge open and colorful. I live local and there's places to canoe and lots of camping and cabins:)

Gail Anderson

78 Completed 20 Reviews

This is a beautiful winter hike! Trailhead is at the far end of the parking lot of Old Man's Cave with a plaque for Grandma Gatewood, and hits Upper Falls, Rose Lake, suspension bridge, Cedar Falls, fire tower, and Ash Cave, as well as some gorgeous pine woods. There is a side trail where you can go into Old Man's Cave, but huge overhead icicles made this trip a bit uncomfortable. Be very careful on the ice along the upper gorge path because it's so close to the edge - and don't take kids - but the view into Old Man's Cave is beautiful beyond description. Ice cleats or traction is a really good idea too, and comes in handy on the icy and/or snowy steps in various spots. I had hiked this a year ago in the summer, and this winter hike was so much more beautiful. It's a totally different looking place!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

My fianc and I ended up camping there, we were abit unprepared but a very nice family that was camping next to us ended up giving us some tips on how to keep the fire going(need alot of fire wood). Next time we will be more prepared. Hiked from Old mans cave to ash cave which was beautiful. Defiantly a great tradition to pass down to our kids

5 Completed 4 Reviews

I took my son here two years in a row. We have created a tradition of hitting the trail on his birthday and here was were we spent his 5th & 6th.

37 Completed 10 Reviews

Beautiful . This is one of the best trails I have been on.

24 Completed 19 Reviews

All I can say is that Hocking Hills is an incredibly beautiful place. If you haven't been here, make it a priority to come see it.

Support