Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

#1 of 6 trails in Hocking Hills State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Grandma Gate wood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Logan, Ohio that features a cave. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Dale B. (428)

This was a very scenic Trail we did the loop trail from old man's Cave to Cedarfalls. We took the grandma Gatewood trail out of old man's Cave to Cedarfalls then picked up the yellow trail which is called The Cedarfalls trail to the red trail gorge Overlook Trail back to old man's Cave. The blue trail is more rugged than the red trail but worth the trip.

Kelley Roby (183)

9 Completed9 Reviews

Doug Pyle (169)

4 Completed3 Reviews

Camped and hiked here for a week. I logged about 40 miles of hiking during the week we stayed and loved every minute of it. We had one day of flash flooding from the intense rain showers and thunderstorms which made the falls and stream/river an awesome sight! I hiked Grandma Gatewood's trail a couple times, once going out to Ash Cave on the trail and back to Cedar Falls then up to the red trail back to Old Man's Cave. That day I was caught in a torrential downpour/severe thunderstorm that I though I would be back before it hit but oh how I was wrong. It was still an awesome hike and I even enjoyed hiking in the rain. The second time I hike the lower, blue, trail out to Ash Cave and back. Both days I packed my lunch in my hydration pack and stopped at Ash Cave to eat. It made for a really nice hike. Lots of other trails in the area to check out too!

Tiffany Stevens (1376)

15 Completed10 Reviews

This was a beautiful hike. My children enjoyed it and all the caves, bridges and cliffs kept them completely entertained.

Don Trimble (184)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Very well marked trails and a beautiful park. Only reason for (4) starts is that it was way more crowded than expected. Overall, a cool hike that we would definitely do again.

Ian Bolden (395)

4 Completed1 Reviews

I did what I would guess is the traditional route; Old Man's Cave (OMC) Gorge to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave via the Buckeye Trail (BT), return on the BT to Cedar Falls to Gorge Overlook Trail to Old Man's cave. I started at 10:30 am and there were moderate crowds in the gorge. The crowds thinned as a moved a way from OMC and I had brief periods where I was walking alone. No more than 20 minutes until I passed Cedar Falls. I liked the BT from Cedar Falls to Ash Cave probable the best because I was alone most of the time. I made a mistake and did not pack enough water. The 2 liters I had I went through mid-way. I had thought that there would be water at either Cedar Falls or Ash Cave. No dice. The hand pump at Ash Cave was dry and the water fountain at Cedar Falls was out of order.

Joanna Van Sickle (125)

5 Completed2 Reviews

Kevin F (179)

9 Completed9 Reviews

This is by far Ohio's best hike for beauty. I have done many in CVNP and all over Ohio. If you hike in the Gorge there are a few challenging spots but it is pretty basic and flat for most of the hike. I took along my collapsible fishing pole and caught some fish in the stream along the way. Waterfalls tend to run stronger earlier in the year ... may be slow or not flowing well as Summer kicks into full gear or early fall. Beautiful in the Winter as well.

Robert Aberegg (1188)

67 Completed26 Reviews

Would rate much higher, but much of the trail is closed for repair.

Carmen Prater (479)

25 Completed9 Reviews

The most beautiful scenery in OH...but not a place to go for solitude. The hundreds of people create a theme park type atmosphere. Ohio should consider limiting visitors by requiring people to get permits because this area is truly being destroyed by the people who visit.

Support