Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

#1 of 6 trails in Hocking Hills State Park
Grandma Gate wood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Logan, Ohio that features a cave. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

4.82 miles Out & Back
Kid Friendly Dog Friendly
hiking walking cave dogs leash forest
Hide Map

Melissa Margrif

5 Completed4 Reviews

Kellie Estep

4 Completed2 Reviews

Zakk Johnson

6 Completed1 Reviews

I did this hike in one day with a full pack as I planned on more hiking on the second day. There is a youth campground (reservations required) on 374 S. which turns right out of the parking lot between Cedar Falls and Ash Cave. The problem I faced was the lack of water sources both at the parking lots and dry conditions so I wasn't able to utilize a water filter either. If you do this trail plan wisely for water. I might ever drop some ahead or at the campsite next time.

Dale B.

This was a very scenic Trail we did the loop trail from old man's Cave to Cedarfalls. We took the grandma Gatewood trail out of old man's Cave to Cedarfalls then picked up the yellow trail which is called The Cedarfalls trail to the red trail gorge Overlook Trail back to old man's Cave. The blue trail is more rugged than the red trail but worth the trip.

Kelley Roby

9 Completed9 Reviews

Doug Pyle

4 Completed3 Reviews

Camped and hiked here for a week. I logged about 40 miles of hiking during the week we stayed and loved every minute of it. We had one day of flash flooding from the intense rain showers and thunderstorms which made the falls and stream/river an awesome sight! I hiked Grandma Gatewood's trail a couple times, once going out to Ash Cave on the trail and back to Cedar Falls then up to the red trail back to Old Man's Cave. That day I was caught in a torrential downpour/severe thunderstorm that I though I would be back before it hit but oh how I was wrong. It was still an awesome hike and I even enjoyed hiking in the rain. The second time I hike the lower, blue, trail out to Ash Cave and back. Both days I packed my lunch in my hydration pack and stopped at Ash Cave to eat. It made for a really nice hike. Lots of other trails in the area to check out too!

Tiffany Stevens

16 Completed10 Reviews

This was a beautiful hike. My children enjoyed it and all the caves, bridges and cliffs kept them completely entertained.

Don Trimble

5 Completed2 Reviews

Very well marked trails and a beautiful park. Only reason for (4) starts is that it was way more crowded than expected. Overall, a cool hike that we would definitely do again.

Ian Bolden

5 Completed1 Reviews

I did what I would guess is the traditional route; Old Man's Cave (OMC) Gorge to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave via the Buckeye Trail (BT), return on the BT to Cedar Falls to Gorge Overlook Trail to Old Man's cave. I started at 10:30 am and there were moderate crowds in the gorge. The crowds thinned as a moved a way from OMC and I had brief periods where I was walking alone. No more than 20 minutes until I passed Cedar Falls. I liked the BT from Cedar Falls to Ash Cave probable the best because I was alone most of the time. I made a mistake and did not pack enough water. The 2 liters I had I went through mid-way. I had thought that there would be water at either Cedar Falls or Ash Cave. No dice. The hand pump at Ash Cave was dry and the water fountain at Cedar Falls was out of order.

Joanna Van Sickle