Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

HARD
#1 of 6 trails in Hocking Hills State Park
Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Logan, OH that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly birding hiking nature trips trail running walking cave forest views waterfall wild flowers rocky
Hide Map

Grandma Gate wood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Logan, Ohio that features a cave. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Brent Joseph

6 Completed1 Reviews

Brian Mccalla

2 Completed2 Reviews

Michelle Bothun

2 Completed1 Reviews

As a avid hiker. Hocking Hills State Park is one of the most beautiful and scenic parks I have been to yet.

Wendy Johnson

4 Completed4 Reviews

Hiked the blue trail, old mans cave to cedar falls. Did not expect the level of difficulty which included navigating over slippery rocks as well as thru muddy inclines. There is a Steep rock to climb over in last half of trail. We opted to climb up and down the alternate hill instead. There was also an area of hands and knees climbing. Although the sights were pretty, I was too nervous about falling and being injured to enjoy it. Would have appreciated a warning sign at beginning of trail. I would not do this trail again. There is no cell phone reception or any park rangers in sight.

Alana Johnson

7 Completed2 Reviews

Jacob Fletcher

4 Completed4 Reviews

Jeff Margrif

3 Completed3 Reviews

Jen VP

1 Completed2 Reviews

By the way, the entire hike from Ash to OMC then back to Ash is 12-13 miles.

Jen VP

1 Completed2 Reviews

Ash Cave-Cedar Falls-OMCave, then back to Ash Cave is a gorgeous hike, even better if you can carefully meander. Rose Hollow is striking, as well. I'm sure a piece of my heart resides in this place. -Namaste

Jessica Purdon

10 Completed10 Reviews

We've done this twice. Once on a weekday in January and we only went halfway-- Old Man's Cave to Cedar falls and back, and once on a beautiful Saturday. On the Saturday hike we went from Ash Cave to Cedar Falls to Old Man's Cave and back.

The first visit (half-trip) was spectacular. The second, way too crowded for my taste but still very nice. This is Ohio's most visited State Park, so if you like solitude I'd avoid peak times. It's not quiet and there were tons of huge groups of casual hikers near the points of interest.

Also-- if you go the full way it's more like 13 miles round trip.

Kt Knilans

1 Completed1 Reviews

I went with my dog the day it snowed really hard in January! It was almost a blizzard when we got there, we hiked for 2 hours and by the time we started heading back the sun was out. Such a beautiful day! I shared some snowy photos!

James Sunyak

62 Completed42 Reviews

Well lets just say, I was totally mesmorized by the views on this trail. Also its not for the faint of heart. The gorge part of the trail is the most dificult. Rocky crossing and narrow ledges. I would do it again but in diferent direction. I started at Olde mans cave and went South. Next time I would Start at Cedar Falls and Loop

Melissa Margrif

5 Completed4 Reviews

Kellie Estep

5 Completed2 Reviews

Zakk Johnson

8 Completed1 Reviews

I did this hike in one day with a full pack as I planned on more hiking on the second day. There is a youth campground (reservations required) on 374 S. which turns right out of the parking lot between Cedar Falls and Ash Cave. The problem I faced was the lack of water sources both at the parking lots and dry conditions so I wasn't able to utilize a water filter either. If you do this trail plan wisely for water. I might ever drop some ahead or at the campsite next time.

Dale B.

This was a very scenic Trail we did the loop trail from old man's Cave to Cedarfalls. We took the grandma Gatewood trail out of old man's Cave to Cedarfalls then picked up the yellow trail which is called The Cedarfalls trail to the red trail gorge Overlook Trail back to old man's Cave. The blue trail is more rugged than the red trail but worth the trip.

Kelley Roby

9 Completed9 Reviews

Doug Pyle

4 Completed3 Reviews

Camped and hiked here for a week. I logged about 40 miles of hiking during the week we stayed and loved every minute of it. We had one day of flash flooding from the intense rain showers and thunderstorms which made the falls and stream/river an awesome sight! I hiked Grandma Gatewood's trail a couple times, once going out to Ash Cave on the trail and back to Cedar Falls then up to the red trail back to Old Man's Cave. That day I was caught in a torrential downpour/severe thunderstorm that I though I would be back before it hit but oh how I was wrong. It was still an awesome hike and I even enjoyed hiking in the rain. The second time I hike the lower, blue, trail out to Ash Cave and back. Both days I packed my lunch in my hydration pack and stopped at Ash Cave to eat. It made for a really nice hike. Lots of other trails in the area to check out too!

Tiffany Stevens

22 Completed9 Reviews

This was a beautiful hike. My children enjoyed it and all the caves, bridges and cliffs kept them completely entertained.

Don Trimble

5 Completed2 Reviews

Very well marked trails and a beautiful park. Only reason for (4) starts is that it was way more crowded than expected. Overall, a cool hike that we would definitely do again.