Narrows Trail to Boulder Mountain (Eagle Mountain) - Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

#1 of 7 trails in Wichita Mountains Nwr

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

This trail takes hikers to the top of Eagle Mountain (nickname Boulder Mountain)

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Helen Holstein (155)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Awesome hike! Being from Appalachia I'm not used to so much exposed granite rock. A friend and I went up to the (almost top) of Eagle Mountain and then down into the fjord to the rock that looks like a gigantic tree stump from far away. The trail disappears at parts so you just have to create your own. This hike sn't for the faint of heart! Lots of steep slopes. Watch out for cacti and snakes!

Julie Whitley (113)

9 Completed2 Reviews

Gorgeous scenery! Wouldn't recommend for someone that's not used to hiking and climbing, some areas are difficult. Don't go alone and keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes. There's a high population in the area and I've personally come within inches of being bit by one. Not a whole lot of foot traffic so is a nice quiet escape. Still one of my favorite trails!

Jess Easley (77)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was difficult I would not recommend this if you are not a physically fit person. We highly enjoyed it because it was challenging to us, but we only did it after being prepared for the journey. We were exploring, hiking, and rock climbing for around 8 hours. Awesome!

Andres Padilla (123)

15 Completed1 Reviews

some of the most beautiful scenery in the word is on this trail. i am a very experienced hiker and this one is one of my favorites. definitely very difficult for anyone just starting to get into hiking

Andrew Johnson (100)

0 Completed1 Reviews

Great views. Wonderful park roaming livestock. Well marked trails many more trails to chose from. If your planning a trip bring a fishing pole and your holding boots. I will defiantly be going back.

Derek Muegge (81)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Be cautious as the "trail" can drop you down on some ledges and you can get yourself stuck on the edge of a cliff. Lots of fun tho and watch out for rattle snakes

Eric L. (758)

Pretty fun climb. No real trail. It's about finding your way to the top in a way that suits your fitness. Great views and fun times. Starting to see snakes, so be careful. We saw a broadbanded copperhead on our way back to the car.

Tyler Harding (8805)

48 Completed53 Reviews

Me and my son Tayler hiked this for his 10th birthday and it turned into an incredible adventure. We started our hike early in the afternoon on a nice April day. We started at the Narrows Trail trail head but immediatly headed off-road towards eagle mountain in the distance. After passing through some trees we reached the bottom and began our ascent. This is more of a light climb than a hike and takes planning to navigate around the many very large rocks and boulders. it is INCREDIBLY fun to climb. I've heard that the nickname for this mountain is boulder mountain due to its unique characteristics. It was a challenge for my son at age ten but he stuck with it and we made it to the top. Great pictures, great time and incredible memories. This is not a well-known trail and so there seems to be little foot-traffic which is a plus in my book.

Support