Angels Rest Trail

#1 of 287 trails in Mt. Hood National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Angels Rest Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a great forest setting and an amazing view payoff. It is *not* only recommended for experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ted S (1315)

36 Completed21 Reviews

Hiked this as a part of the Angles / Devils Rest loop (see tracks but about 8 miles, 2400' total gain). Devil's rest is a good extra stretch but nothing much to see. Angles rest however is spectacular and well worth the moderate trek. There's a scramble at the end, be sure to make it.... and keep going around the point for the full view west. Started around 7:30 to a very empty trail but it was pretty packed by my return a few hours later. Well maintained trail, lots of parking, no facilities or water.

Lora K (110)

4 Completed4 Reviews

John Laninga (111)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Terrific view at the top. Worth the little scramble at the very top. Best during the week and early in the morning as this trail is very popular.

Russell Banks (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Started up at 8:00, when there were only about 3 other cars in the lot. By the time I retuned at 11:00 the lot was full and cars were parking along the road. A little crowded for a guy that learned to hike in New Mexico. Nice views from the top, although I don't think I'd return just to make photographs.

Anna Katerina (105)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Tammy And Ginger (My Dog) (45)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I love this trail! If you want a great sunrise or sunset it has the best views for it!

Stephen Doerk (547)

13 Completed4 Reviews

For my current fitness level, this was a definite challenge, but the end reward is incredible! Some switch backs but mostly a steady uphill climb. The path can be pretty rocky in places so proper footwear is a necessity (though I did see many in tennis shoes and sandals and even one barefoot climber!!) The trail is well used and was busy on the day I went, but overall a much recommended hike!

Brittany Holman (736)

27 Completed8 Reviews

March 31, 2013
I love this hike, the views are worth the climb. It can be busy though.

June 7, 2014
I still love this hike. Today there were tons of beautiful wild flowers in bloom. Once again it was crowded, but we had the trail to ourselves most of the morning. Just give way to those going uphill and/or encumbered with large packs or children. Also, it would be wise to not go in the afternoon. It was cloudy this morning, so we didn't get too hot, which was lovely, but the view is best without the low clouds. Have fun!

Hillary Holiday (1686)

52 Completed29 Reviews

Lovely hot day, lots of wild flowers, and butterflies. Crowded... Yes but try a weekday morning if you can.

Aaron Winder (133)

8 Completed1 Reviews

Quick, enjoyable, great view.

Support