Angels Rest Trail

#1 of 287 trails in Mt. Hood National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Angels Rest Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a great forest setting and an amazing view payoff. It is *not* only recommended for experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Gale Stean (153)

8 Completed5 Reviews

I went on a Friday and started out a at about 5:30am. Definitely bring a flashlight if you go early or at night. I saw only 2 people on the way up. It is a very steep hike and a great work out, with nice views on the way up. I felt disappointed because I thought the end of the trail was when I got to the big rocks and boulders, but I saw people coming from the other direction, so I kept going. Once I reached the top, I was amazed. It is such a breathtaking view of the gorge. I spent about an hour up there taking pictures and enjoying the view. I would recommend going early in the morning, for less of a crowd. It was nice hanging out at the top by myself. I just wish I would have brought some nuts with me to feed to the cute chipmunks!

Kailyn Miller (148)

3 Completed3 Reviews

We went early on Friday morning- got to the parking lot around 8 ish. Had no issue finding a parking spot, but when we returned to the lot around 11 or so, the parking lot was full. The side parking on the street was full as well so GO EARLY! Moderate hike to the top- some pretty creeks and lush forest. The view at the top was spectacular. Great place to have some lunch and enjoy the view. We hiked an extra half mile or so into the woods after the peak and it wasn't really worth it. Just lush forest and a campground. All in all we hiked 5 miles with two dogs and had a blast!

Scott Finnie (587)

19 Completed14 Reviews

A great way to extend this hike is to go by way of Wahkeena falls and join the Angels Rest trail (trail #415). It tends to be quieter than the direct route via Coobey Falls. Either way the rest has great view of the gorge.

Chris Vandiver (162)

6 Completed1 Reviews

It was a beautiful hike and lots of wild life to look at on your way up :)
I will do it again for sure.

Kim Rajcich (194)

20 Completed1 Reviews

The view from the top is worth it all!

Jessica Sanders (48)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful view of the river

Beverly Thompson (190)

13 Completed2 Reviews

Beautiful!

Drew Fajen (79)

3 Completed3 Reviews

The most beautiful hike I've ever done. Such differing terrain (mostly uphill and quite a bit of rock) and shaded slopes, it was absolutely thrilling. The view at the top though was the best. So many beautiful animals along the way, too-- if you're hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, you HAVE to do Angel's Rest.

Cody Carder (38)