Angels Rest Trail

#1 of 287 trails in Mt. Hood National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Angels Rest Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a great forest setting and an amazing view payoff. It is *not* only recommended for experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Eastbound I-84 - Take Bridal veil exit # 28. The trailhead is south of the Historic Columbia River Highway, opposite the junction with the interstate access road in Bridal veil. Look for the parking area. Westbound I-84 - Take Ainsworth State Park exit # 35 and follow the Historic Columbia River Hig

No bathrooms at the trailhead, but there's plenty of parking and additional roadside parking if you need it.

Icon_b6123eb56b3988eca4bdf79445dc2b7e

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Terrific view at the top. Worth the little scramble at the very top. Best during the week and early in the morning as this trail is very popular.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Started up at 8:00, when there were only about 3 other cars in the lot. By the time I retuned at 11:00 the lot was full and cars were parking along the road. A little crowded for a guy that learned to hike in New Mexico. Nice views from the top, although I don't think I'd return just to make photographs.

3 Completed 3 Reviews

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I love this trail! If you want a great sunrise or sunset it has the best views for it!

Icon_

12 Completed 4 Reviews

For my current fitness level, this was a definite challenge, but the end reward is incredible! Some switch backs but mostly a steady uphill climb. The path can be pretty rocky in places so proper footwear is a necessity (though I did see many in tennis shoes and sandals and even one barefoot climber!!) The trail is well used and was busy on the day I went, but overall a much recommended hike!

Picture?width=50&height=50

24 Completed 6 Reviews

March 31, 2013
I love this hike, the views are worth the climb. It can be busy though.

June 7, 2014
I still love this hike. Today there were tons of beautiful wild flowers in bloom. Once again it was crowded, but we had the trail to ourselves most of the morning. Just give way to those going uphill and/or encumbered with large packs or children. Also, it would be wise to not go in the afternoon. It was cloudy this morning, so we didn't get too hot, which was lovely, but the view is best without the low clouds. Have fun!

Icon_

49 Completed 27 Reviews

Lovely hot day, lots of wild flowers, and butterflies. Crowded... Yes but try a weekday morning if you can.

8 Completed 1 Reviews

Quick, enjoyable, great view.

17 Completed 1 Reviews

Gorgeous view! I went on Saturday April 5th. The trail was really muddy from all the rain during the weekend but the view at the end was definitely worth it. Good hike to start the year!

Picture?width=50&height=50

17 Completed 3 Reviews

Great short hike on a sunny Saturday. I took my 10-year-old daughter and two of her friends (both of which have been hiking with us before, so I wasn't worried about their abilities and the terrain).
Wonderful forest hiking followed by some amazing views at the top. Side note: when you get to the west facing talus slope with a great view, you're not quite there. Continue on up another quarter of a mile and you will surely not regret it! The 180+ degree views from the top of the rocks are Amazing!
Heavily traveled trail and like someone else mentioned, not everyone abides by the 'single file on the right rule'.

Support