Angels Rest Trail

#1 of 287 trails in Mt. Hood National Forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Angels Rest Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a great forest setting and an amazing view payoff. It is *not* only recommended for experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ashley Campbell (203)

5 Completed4 Reviews

I went on a slightly rainy day and early and it was still a bit busy. You won't be alone on this hike (or any other hike in this area). It's a bummer since the hike is so lovely but it shares a road and parking with many other hikes. It can leave you with the impression of being at Disneyland, hard to find parking, feeling like you are waiting in lines, lots of tourists. The trek to the top can be difficult on some parts but the view from Angels Rest is very worth it. Just go early and bring enough water. You'll also probably want to have another layer for the top since it can be windy and a bit chilly. I saw lots of people hike back down before they were ready because of the wind. I like to bring friends who are beginners to this one.

Whitney Luchau (188)

27 Completed8 Reviews

Lots of people, if you appreciate a quiet hike, go early in the morning or during the weekday. Lots of rocks, so if you bring your pup be careful with their paw pads. The view is beautiful!

Momo Keo (135)

8 Completed2 Reviews

Easy hike would do it again!'

Melyssa Payopay (400)

21 Completed2 Reviews

Pretty views on trail, amazing view at summit! Loved this hike! Easy and beautiful.

Nick Bee (115)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is our first hike in Oregon! WOW! President's Day, 8 am start and returned by 10:45 am. There were a couple of hikers and sun catchers ahead of us coming down from various parts of the trail. It is a great training hike for us and our family (since we are novices) and this trail provides good cardio. The trail is easy to follow to the summit, although the trail isn't a beginners hike and by the end of the trail, there are quite of bit of tourists, even for the "off-season." I felt the rocks in my shoes at times because at times some of the rocks jut out on the trail. The trail also is steep and narrow; however, we found places to let other hikers pass. I think people who bring their dogs should be leashed up as my wife was almost knocked down by one dog racing toward another group's dog. I wouldn't recommend bringing small children, yet people were doing it and more power to them! The summit at Angel's Rest is worth it. Today we saw Portland from there, and got amazing views of the Columbia River and Gorge. The wind was howling and gusts can startle, but the sun was blazing and we loved it! We will be back again!

Darcy Batty (1011)

19 Completed13 Reviews

Steady uphill climb and very muddy this time of year. Glad I wore my boots because people in tennis shoes were sliding all over the place. The view is fantastic at the top and well worth the hike.

Chris Hildebran (202)

9 Completed5 Reviews

Chris Hildebran (202)

9 Completed5 Reviews

Shandra Lounsbury (280)

11 Completed1 Reviews

Merry Christmas! Did this hike today. Super muddy and it started pouring right as we were leaving so I can only imagine how much worse it's going to get! Still manageable and beautiful at the top! Lots of people and dogs on the trail. Wear your boots!

Ted S (2062)

44 Completed26 Reviews

Hiked this as a part of the Angles / Devils Rest loop (see tracks but about 8 miles, 2400' total gain). Devil's rest is a good extra stretch but nothing much to see. Angles rest however is spectacular and well worth the moderate trek. There's a scramble at the end, be sure to make it.... and keep going around the point for the full view west. Started around 7:30 to a very empty trail but it was pretty packed by my return a few hours later. Well maintained trail, lots of parking, no facilities or water.

Support