Mount Defiance Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Viento State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Defiance Trail is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

To find the trailhead you must follow I-84 to exit 55 the Starvation Creek State Park rest area. If you are coming westbound there is no exit and you have to go past to the Cascade locks exit and backtrack. Once at the parking lot the trail begins by taking you along the shoulder of I-84 (behind a fence) for almost a mile before the uphill begins.

The Parking lot is big and there is a restroom at trailhead

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I will have to say that was the best 8.2 miles I've done in some time, The Oregon beauty is unbelievable. I just came back to Oregon a week ago from Pennsylvania, it has it's own beauty but it is no comparison.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

Great training hike for other peaks. Mostly enclosed in the timber with few viewpoints. Once on top you have great views in all directions. Have climbed this twice, once at fast pace in 5.5 hours, the second at slower pace in 7. Not a favorite cuz of boring accent, but certainly a trail you must check off your Gorge list.

22 Completed 11 Reviews

Awesome trail! I have done it twice and plan on doing it again! First time took probably 6 hours, 2nd time I somewhat rushed it and it only took about 4 hours. It is a tough hike. The views at the top are gorgeous! The only sucky things is that at the top there are a bunch of ugly man made towers and buildings and lots of gravel and fences. Still worth it though. I prefer loops, so I went up on the starvation creek trail and went past Warren lake, then went down on the normal Mt defiance trail. The 2nd time, I did the same loop, but did it backwards. It is one STEEP trail! The loop adds on another mile or two, but it is nice to get more scenery and also the lake.

0 Completed 3 Reviews

ouch. this is one of the most challenging trails I've done. all up, shale, skree, not a drop of water. did it, done!!

96 Completed 56 Reviews

Did this hike while the White Salmon fire was still going. Luckily the Gorge wind kept things clear for most the day. Overall, this is a challenging hike and, based on length and elevation, I would agree this is strenuous. You'll definitely feel it at the end.

The route we chose was actually the loop option, with the beginning ascent being up Starvation Ridge (via Starvation Ridge cut off trail...a beast of 0.4 mi), past Warren lake, back down the west slope (as outlined this map), and back to the Starvation Creek parking lot. Most the trail issues did stay on this western approach, as the trail was in poorer condition and there were several washout spots.

Overall view was ok. I would argue that other peaks (Larch, Dog, Table, for example) offer similar views, if not better. So, based on the amount of effort one must use to get to it may not justify the journey. Accomplishing the feat of summiting, however, is most definitely something to brag about.

Picture?width=50&height=50

19 Completed 3 Reviews

Wear good hiking shoes & recommend hiking sticks as well.

Icon_9f455a1a13d15cb473e4a3eb449f2242

21 Completed 19 Reviews

This is certainly most difficult trail i have done yet. For 6 miles of unrelenting uphill battle this earned one of the most difficult hikes in Gorge. Day was beautiful we hit trail at 9.30 In the first 2.5 Miles the trail is in bad shape in patches due to storms. Lots of uprooted trees, some groups have been doing the trail-work during month of may which has helped. In one place the trail is completely blown out due to landslide and you have to cross around 10 - 15 feet very carefully to avoid 30 ft fall. We hit snow at 4000' and immediately it was pretty deep. Rock field was challenging . On the top you get stunning views of all the mountains around.. I would love to do this again.

Picture?width=50&height=50

21 Completed 11 Reviews

This is one of the hardest day hike I've ever done in my life. So far!
We did the full on loop from mount defiance trail head to the summit, then go west pass down through the starvation creek. It was about 16mile long. Very very steep and very very long! We brought two bottles of water each person. Great view from the summit, and beautiful trails. There is a lake along the starvation creek! Bring a water filter if you need more water.

40 Completed 31 Reviews

Stunning views of Mt. Hood. I have a pic to share if I can figure out how to post it. I did this hike a few years ago and would do it again but bring a bit more water. As hikes go, its long. So bring a bit more water than you think you'd need in summer if you are more of a novice like me. Didn't see a soul on the trail.

0 Completed 4 Reviews

A very physically demanding path with waterfalls, old growth forests and great views. This is a great hike to train for mountain climbing due to the long steep climb. It comes highly recommended.

Support