Trail of Ten Falls at Silver Falls State Park

#3 of 5 trails in Silver Falls State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Always something to look at around the next bend, great places to go swimming, totally engulfed by wildlife.

8.7 mi loop showcasing 10 waterfalls directly off the path, more waterfalls a short jaunt from the main path in several different places. A few of the waterfalls actually fall in front of the path so be prepared to get at least a little misted.

Drive Interstate 5 to Salem. Drive east on Highway 22 to exit 7, signed for OR Highway 214. Continue on 214 4.2 miles to Silver Falls State Park. Turn left into the first entrance you'll pass. Pay at the toll booth if it's open, or use the drop box.

Alternatively, from the east side of Portland, you can take Exit 10 on I-205 and drive south on Oregon 213. Highway 213 heads straight into the old downtown district of Silverton. Turn left on to Highway 214 and drive 14 miles to the Silver Falls State Park. pass North Falls Trailhead on the right, the parking area for the North Falls Viewpoint and the Winter Falls Trailhead. Soon you'll see signs pointing out South Falls Lodge to the right.

parking is $5, lots of parking, picnic tables and coverings. A gift shop and cafe are located in the park but have odd hours, maybe just seasonal.

Don't want to waste $5? No problem. Start at the North Falls trailhead and take a super-quick hike to Silver Falls State Park (then grab a cup of coffee, a burger, and dodge tourists). There's also another parking lot that's entrance is about .2 miles north of the main entrance. It's free. Also, in the winter they lock-down the main lot at 5pm. Why pay the $5 and deal with that? Hike there; it's stupidly easy.

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Stunning walkabout. Well maintained, great state park area, obviously lots of beautiful falls!

2 Completed 2 Reviews

Amazing. Awesome falls, beautiful hike.

3 Completed 2 Reviews

An excellent trail that rewards you with ten waterfall views along the way. This is an amazing trail and is recommended for moderately experienced or moderately fit hikers.

11 Completed 13 Reviews

Absolutely an amazing trail and with so many different waterfalls to see, it is definitely worth hiking a couple of times.

16 Completed 4 Reviews

We did this hike on a beautiful Spring day, mostly sunny with highs in the high 60s. The trail is very well maintained and pretty easy. There are just a couple of "steepish" climbs in and out of the canyon. The waterfalls are very pretty and on the day we went they were roaring. All the rivers in the region are high and that made some of the falls spectacular. Overall I found the hike very enjoyable and the scenery was gorgeous. The only problem I really have with this hike is the crowds. There are just tons of people everywhere. I mostly hike in fairly remote, steep areas where I can go a half hour or more without seeing another soul. It was a bit annoying getting stuck behind a slow, noisy group at every turn. At the same time, I knew going in how popular and crowded it was going to be and went anyway because the scenery is worth it. I would do it again at another time of the year, maybe fall (colors) or winter (would be incredible in the snow).

Icon_

48 Completed 26 Reviews

We love this hike and try to come a few times a year. It's a wonderful micro climate that encompasses near pristine habitat despite the crowds. We enjoy coming through the changing seasons as each season has it's perks. The spring boasts wild flowers and butterfly's, the summer has heat, the fall has wonderful color and variety, and the winter has all the lichen and mosses.

Person_placeholder

7 Completed 7 Reviews

My daughter and I wanted to go hiking in the gorge, but due to the forecast for rain (yeah, shocker) we decided to try the Trial of Ten Falls in Silver Falls State Park. It was a little closer option to travel on a risky weather day. We are glad we did, we had a great time hiking a beautiful trail with access to a variety of 10 waterfalls. Plus we were blessed the showers held off during our ~3 hour hike around the 8.7 mile route. Parts of the trail were very muddy with standing water, but nothing unexpected.

We started our hike hitting the Upper North Falls. A very impressive view. We then chose to hike the Canyon Trail, which is the lower route that travels closes to all the falls. For the most part I would rate the hike as "easy", except if you choose to take the Maple Ridge Trail. The MR Trail is probably "moderate" rated trail due to the straight up climb for about 0.75 of a mile. BTW you are not able to see the falls from this trail, but we were hoping for a quicker option to get to the South Falls Lounge.

The traffic on the trails were minimal, probably due to the overcast and wet day. But I can imagine when the sun is out the trails would be very well used by hikers.

Sometime in the future, when we want to do a last minute hike and the sun is shining, I would love to try this hike again.

Icon_

35 Completed 23 Reviews

I liked this hike. It is a pretty worn trail and definitely easy, but beautiful falls. Definitely better than Multanomah Falls. I went when it was pouring rain and not too crowded. Unfortunately, I saw the no dog sign and had to turn around and drop off the dog and come back to see 3 dogs on the hike.

7 Completed 5 Reviews

Love this trail! Gorgeous waterfalls. Can be broken down into shorter hikes. Beautifully maintained.

Person_placeholder

14 Completed 12 Reviews

I've been here many times. One of my favorite hikes in Oregon. It's a wonderful way to spend your day. I always leave here feeling in awe of God and so blessed.

Support