Appalachian National Scenic Trail - Pennsylvania Section

Appalachian National Scenic Trail - Pennsylvania Section is a 232 mile point-to-point trail located near Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November.

232.0 miles Point to Point
Hide Map

Pete DiCenso

1 Completed2 Reviews

Did the Dunnfield to Sunfish Pond stretch of the AT going north on the New Jersey side of the Water Gap. Easy to moderate conditions-- with rocks being the reason for the moderate rating. Sunfish Pond is a registered National Natural Landmark. Beautiful spot. Good views to the north and west about a mile prior to the pond. Soft grassy campsites there with great views toward PA.

Pete DiCenso

1 Completed2 Reviews

Great ascent from DWG southward on the AT to Mt Minsi. Steep climb over lots of rocks but an incredible work out with great views. Moderate to difficult terrain to climb. Camped overnight on top with some great Southern views and trekked back down to DWG the next day. Bring water as not much along the way. Good outdoor store in town of DWG .

Carmella Pantilione

1 Completed1 Reviews

The noise from the highway wasn't great but it definitely was a great trail and views.

Mark Wilson

1 Completed1 Reviews

I have done many portions of the Pa end of the AT. As I live between the Nj DWG and the Wind gap areas. I can say being a bigger fella. I did find portions of Wind Gap to Fox Gap. (191) to be a bit taxing on the ankles. Still love doing this when I want to just get away

Jared Brown

15 Completed3 Reviews

Many people warned me about the "boot shredding" rocks in PA, but when I got there it really wasn't that bad. The northernmost 40 miles are a little intense, but there is virtually no elevation loss/gain which helps. All in all PA is a pleasant ridge walk with few spectacular vistas but lots of beautiful wilderness to enjoy. I hear water and rattlesnakes can be an issue in the summer months so take that into consideration. It was October when I hiked through and I had 18 inches of snow dumped on me, a slightly different experience to say the least.

Nicholas Abate

67 Completed66 Reviews

Have done many miles of the App in PA back in the 90's in several trips. Can be rough going at times. A trail to be well geared for. Breathtaking vistas. Plenty of wildlife, just look out for mama bears with cubs. Some of the nicest hiking on the east coast. A bit of everything. Plenty of experience is suggested for this terrain.

Heather Bendekovits

20 Completed8 Reviews

I have hiked several different parts of the Appalachian Trail and each different part has something different to offer.

Helen Ortega

0 Completed2 Reviews

Mitch Perry

1 Completed5 Reviews

I have hiked variuous sections of this tral at different times. Mostly the sections closer to NJ. Different parts yield varying experiences and levels of difficulty.

Deborah J.

love this trail,i am new to hiking and it was a challenge, but not too hard for a beginner!! beautiful view at the top!!!