Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap Trail

HARD
#1 of 2 trails in South Mountain Park
true
Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Walnutport, PA that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

birding camping hiking mountain biking rock climbing trail running river views rocky scramble
Hide Map

Thomas Glose

2 Completed0 Reviews

B K Jaworski

185 Completed11 Reviews

Heck of a climb out with a full resupply. If treking during blue berry season, be ready for munching at full speed on the ridge top.

Pan Karalis

5 Completed0 Reviews

Zech Barton

3 Completed0 Reviews

Do the palmerton side up and back down for a quick jaunt all the time. One of my personal Favorites of the area.

Tom R

17 Completed0 Reviews

saw a bear on this trail last late spring or early summer. amazing. woulda pet it, if it were closer. lil over 4 ft standing on two. We took the trail 5 miles in and 5 back. Tough rocks to get down at the end and at the starting point.

Matthew Williams

9 Completed0 Reviews

Decent climb for a PA trail!

Zdenek Zamboch

3 Completed3 Reviews

John Ambrusch

17 Completed17 Reviews

Rudy Rosario

17 Completed8 Reviews

My favorite part of the hike was going up towards the top. Expect to rock climb almost at the top of the mountain. It was fairly easy afterwards just be careful while walking on the ridge I encountered a rattle snake but I used a stick to make it go away. The hike is about 5.3 miles towards "Little gap" town/off blue mountain drive. I took my time so the hike was about 3 hours and 30 minutes. It can be done possibly in 2 hours if rushing without stopping.

Luke Snyder

5 Completed4 Reviews

Took this from the lot to Blue Mtn Drive on Jan 21.

The ice certainly increased the difficulty of this hike.. Normally the Boulder/rock scramble in the beginning would be mildly difficult for anyone decently in shape, but the black ice on top of each rock made it almost dangerous.. Didn't care much for the reroute past the superfund site as it is just a ridgeline road. Descent would be easy in the spring-summer-fall but the solid ice covering the trail made it a challenge. Other than that it was a nice walk along a treeless ridgeline. Locals who drove us back to our cars warned us of mountain lions in the areas underneath the boulders.. They just want it for themselves.

O G.

Christine McDonald

8 Completed2 Reviews

Incredible views. Fairly easy climb but calculated. So many horror story reviews I believe are from the inexperienced. I'm 5ft tall and did it with a 45lb pack on no problem. Heartbreaking to walk past superfund site but there were workers surveying and planting so hope is still there.

Lee Deshler

1 Completed1 Reviews

My friend and I did Smith gap to BlueMountain Drive several months ago. It was a good hike with the boulders at the end providing a bit of a challenge. Yesterday we attempted little gap to BlueMountain Drive. We found the boulder climbing in the beginning to be strenuous to the point of dangerous. Later as we approached the end of the hike we hit a power line cut and lost the white blazes. We ended descending through the power cut which was full of loose rock, boulders and many sticker bushes. We ended up on route 946. It was quite an adventure and we're happy to have survived.

O G.

Beautiful views, awesome hike with some climb included! Be ready to use your hands. It is totally rewarded. You won't regret it!

Abbas Rizvi

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great experience! we took one of the suggested routes from this app. Lots of fun! Many of the people hiking with me were beginners and still completed the hike without any problems.

Robert Corsello

19 Completed3 Reviews

One of my favorite places to hike in the area.

Bryan Smith

13 Completed3 Reviews

I have hiked this area a bunch of times. Views are exceptional (bring camera and binoculars) and good footwear. Climbing the rocks feels great. I like this spot because I can do a long hike or a short 3 mile circuit. I start at the lot hike up the rocks and then hike in to the junction with the Winter Trail that brings you down the mountain on another trail that isn't so rocky. I took my 11 yr old son up there this past weekend and he loved the challenge of climbing up and over some rocks. We spent some time near the top going off trail a bit and climbing more rocks.... I've hiked this in a few variations. Just up to the top and then loop back down the winter trail for a quick workout or pressed on to the Blue Mtn Drive for a pickup or even further to Smith Gap Road, all in one day. I am posting some pictures of the various hikes in this area.

Michael Bevil

5 Completed3 Reviews

Nice section of the AT. A little tough climbing out of the gap but the views make it worthwhile. Great opportunity to get a concrete exaple of the environmental impacts of pollution when passing through the superfund site.

Ari Herrmann

3 Completed3 Reviews

Decent trail, to reach the trail form the trailhead was a little strnous but otherwise was failry innoccous
only spent 2 days before heading back.

Geoffroy Gournet

0 Completed3 Reviews

AlD review is accurate. It take 2 hours going north to reach the road of Blue Mountain , north of Danielsville, that is the surprising part with surprising landscape and a great view along the trail. So if you do not want climb it, you can park near Blue Mountain and walk south. I noticed there is no white marks on the trail on top. The second part going from Blue Mountain to Smith Gap rd is another 3.5 hours in the wood with a few points of view. The hike is more difficult.