Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap

Walnutport, PA

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap is a 12.6 mile point-to-point trail located near Walnutport, Pennsylvania that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for camping, hiking, rock climbing & trail running and is accessible year-round.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Luke Snyder (150)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Took this from the lot to Blue Mtn Drive on Jan 21.

The ice certainly increased the difficulty of this hike.. Normally the Boulder/rock scramble in the beginning would be mildly difficult for anyone decently in shape, but the black ice on top of each rock made it almost dangerous.. Didn't care much for the reroute past the superfund site as it is just a ridgeline road. Descent would be easy in the spring-summer-fall but the solid ice covering the trail made it a challenge. Other than that it was a nice walk along a treeless ridgeline. Locals who drove us back to our cars warned us of mountain lions in the areas underneath the boulders.. They just want it for themselves.

O G. (111)

Christine McDonald (261)

7 Completed2 Reviews

Incredible views. Fairly easy climb but calculated. So many horror story reviews I believe are from the inexperienced. I'm 5ft tall and did it with a 45lb pack on no problem. Heartbreaking to walk past superfund site but there were workers surveying and planting so hope is still there.

Lee Deshler (66)

1 Completed1 Reviews

My friend and I did Smith gap to BlueMountain Drive several months ago. It was a good hike with the boulders at the end providing a bit of a challenge. Yesterday we attempted little gap to BlueMountain Drive. We found the boulder climbing in the beginning to be strenuous to the point of dangerous. Later as we approached the end of the hike we hit a power line cut and lost the white blazes. We ended descending through the power cut which was full of loose rock, boulders and many sticker bushes. We ended up on route 946. It was quite an adventure and we're happy to have survived.

O G. (111)

Beautiful views, awesome hike with some climb included! Be ready to use your hands. It is totally rewarded. You won't regret it!

Abbas Rizvi (114)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great experience! we took one of the suggested routes from this app. Lots of fun! Many of the people hiking with me were beginners and still completed the hike without any problems.

Robert Corsello (187)

19 Completed3 Reviews

One of my favorite places to hike in the area.

Bryan Smith (213)

13 Completed3 Reviews

I have hiked this area a bunch of times. Views are exceptional (bring camera and binoculars) and good footwear. Climbing the rocks feels great. I like this spot because I can do a long hike or a short 3 mile circuit. I start at the lot hike up the rocks and then hike in to the junction with the Winter Trail that brings you down the mountain on another trail that isn't so rocky. I took my 11 yr old son up there this past weekend and he loved the challenge of climbing up and over some rocks. We spent some time near the top going off trail a bit and climbing more rocks.... I've hiked this in a few variations. Just up to the top and then loop back down the winter trail for a quick workout or pressed on to the Blue Mtn Drive for a pickup or even further to Smith Gap Road, all in one day. I am posting some pictures of the various hikes in this area.

Michael Bevil (141)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Nice section of the AT. A little tough climbing out of the gap but the views make it worthwhile. Great opportunity to get a concrete exaple of the environmental impacts of pollution when passing through the superfund site.

Ari Herrmann (159)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Decent trail, to reach the trail form the trailhead was a little strnous but otherwise was failry innoccous
only spent 2 days before heading back.

Support