Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap Trail

HARD
#1 of 2 trails in South Mountain Park
Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Walnutport, PA that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

birding camping hiking mountain biking rock climbing trail running river views rocky scramble
Hide Map

Andrew Henderson

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great. Just hard enough and long enough to make for a good day hike.

Sam Paul

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was my first ever solo hike and I had so much fun with it, it really challenged me in the beginning making it up all the rocks but once you get to the top it is fairly flat. If you walk to the power lines and back it is a 8 mile hike and the views are amazing. Met lots of thru hikers sharing a lot of cool stories highly recommended for experienced hikers.

Tony Mendoza

1 Completed1 Reviews

Overall great trail highly recommended as future advice I recommend good footwear and lots of water

Trevor Trevor Martin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Went with 3 friends. Not the trail for for the faint hearted or over packers. But all in all its amazing and Knifes Edge is really SWEET!!!

Larry Priori

16 Completed2 Reviews

Steep and rocky.

Melanie Vilardo

1 Completed1 Reviews

We're not hard core hikers, but still spent a good couple of hours trekking it with the hubs and my 8 & 10 yr. olds. We loved it! Fantastic trail! Go prepared with the essentials.

Greg Maynes

5 Completed1 Reviews

Wow what a hike. Did it with my dog who, fortunately, is part mountain goat. If you aren't comfortable lifting your dog with some sketchy footing on some really steep rock faces, stay away from the top of the first ridge. If getting up with Fido isn't hard enough, going down is way worse. Pretty incredible view from the ridge line. Looking forward to doing this again!

Thomas Glose

2 Completed2 Reviews

B K Jaworski

192 Completed32 Reviews

Heck of a climb out with a full resupply. If treking during blue berry season, be ready for munching at full speed on the ridge top.

Pan Karalis

5 Completed2 Reviews

Zech Barton

3 Completed1 Reviews

Do the palmerton side up and back down for a quick jaunt all the time. One of my personal Favorites of the area.

Tom R

19 Completed17 Reviews

saw a bear on this trail last late spring or early summer. amazing. woulda pet it, if it were closer. lil over 4 ft standing on two. We took the trail 5 miles in and 5 back. Tough rocks to get down at the end and at the starting point.

Matthew Williams

9 Completed1 Reviews

Decent climb for a PA trail!

Zdenek Zamboch

3 Completed3 Reviews

John Ambrusch

17 Completed17 Reviews

Rudy Rosario

18 Completed8 Reviews

My favorite part of the hike was going up towards the top. Expect to rock climb almost at the top of the mountain. It was fairly easy afterwards just be careful while walking on the ridge I encountered a rattle snake but I used a stick to make it go away. The hike is about 5.3 miles towards "Little gap" town/off blue mountain drive. I took my time so the hike was about 3 hours and 30 minutes. It can be done possibly in 2 hours if rushing without stopping.

Luke Snyder

5 Completed4 Reviews

Took this from the lot to Blue Mtn Drive on Jan 21.

The ice certainly increased the difficulty of this hike.. Normally the Boulder/rock scramble in the beginning would be mildly difficult for anyone decently in shape, but the black ice on top of each rock made it almost dangerous.. Didn't care much for the reroute past the superfund site as it is just a ridgeline road. Descent would be easy in the spring-summer-fall but the solid ice covering the trail made it a challenge. Other than that it was a nice walk along a treeless ridgeline. Locals who drove us back to our cars warned us of mountain lions in the areas underneath the boulders.. They just want it for themselves.

O G.

Christine McDonald

8 Completed3 Reviews

Incredible views. Fairly easy climb but calculated. So many horror story reviews I believe are from the inexperienced. I'm 5ft tall and did it with a 45lb pack on no problem. Heartbreaking to walk past superfund site but there were workers surveying and planting so hope is still there.

Lee Deshler

1 Completed1 Reviews

My friend and I did Smith gap to BlueMountain Drive several months ago. It was a good hike with the boulders at the end providing a bit of a challenge. Yesterday we attempted little gap to BlueMountain Drive. We found the boulder climbing in the beginning to be strenuous to the point of dangerous. Later as we approached the end of the hike we hit a power line cut and lost the white blazes. We ended descending through the power cut which was full of loose rock, boulders and many sticker bushes. We ended up on route 946. It was quite an adventure and we're happy to have survived.