Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap Trail

HARD
#1 of 2 trails in South Mountain Park
l>
Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap Trail is a 7.8 mile out and back trail located near Walnutport, PA that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

birding camping hiking mountain biking rock climbing trail running river rocky scramble views
Hide Map

Zdenek Zamboch

3 Completed3 Reviews

John Ambrusch

17 Completed17 Reviews

Rudy Rosario

17 Completed8 Reviews

My favorite part of the hike was going up towards the top. Expect to rock climb almost at the top of the mountain. It was fairly easy afterwards just be careful while walking on the ridge I encountered a rattle snake but I used a stick to make it go away. The hike is about 5.3 miles towards "Little gap" town/off blue mountain drive. I took my time so the hike was about 3 hours and 30 minutes. It can be done possibly in 2 hours if rushing without stopping.

Luke Snyder

5 Completed4 Reviews

Took this from the lot to Blue Mtn Drive on Jan 21.

The ice certainly increased the difficulty of this hike.. Normally the Boulder/rock scramble in the beginning would be mildly difficult for anyone decently in shape, but the black ice on top of each rock made it almost dangerous.. Didn't care much for the reroute past the superfund site as it is just a ridgeline road. Descent would be easy in the spring-summer-fall but the solid ice covering the trail made it a challenge. Other than that it was a nice walk along a treeless ridgeline. Locals who drove us back to our cars warned us of mountain lions in the areas underneath the boulders.. They just want it for themselves.

O G.

Christine McDonald

7 Completed2 Reviews

Incredible views. Fairly easy climb but calculated. So many horror story reviews I believe are from the inexperienced. I'm 5ft tall and did it with a 45lb pack on no problem. Heartbreaking to walk past superfund site but there were workers surveying and planting so hope is still there.

Lee Deshler

1 Completed1 Reviews

My friend and I did Smith gap to BlueMountain Drive several months ago. It was a good hike with the boulders at the end providing a bit of a challenge. Yesterday we attempted little gap to BlueMountain Drive. We found the boulder climbing in the beginning to be strenuous to the point of dangerous. Later as we approached the end of the hike we hit a power line cut and lost the white blazes. We ended descending through the power cut which was full of loose rock, boulders and many sticker bushes. We ended up on route 946. It was quite an adventure and we're happy to have survived.

O G.

Beautiful views, awesome hike with some climb included! Be ready to use your hands. It is totally rewarded. You won't regret it!

Abbas Rizvi

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great experience! we took one of the suggested routes from this app. Lots of fun! Many of the people hiking with me were beginners and still completed the hike without any problems.

Robert Corsello

19 Completed3 Reviews

One of my favorite places to hike in the area.