Glen Onoko Run Trail

#1 of 2 trails in Lehigh Gorge State Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Glen Onoko Run Trail is a 2.1 mile loop trail located near Lehigh Twp, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible from March until November.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Andy Hoover (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This trail is moderately challenging for a novice hiker or someone who is in bad physical shape, but it is not dangerous and isn't that difficult for anyone with any level of physical acumen. It is only dangerous if you do something stupid.

This is a beautiful trail. We hiked it last month during one of the Jim Thorpe fall foliage festival weekends. The falls and views are well worth the effort. We saw families with pre-teen kids and people of all sizes and ages enjoying it.

I do recommend taking the switchback loop trail because coming back down the falls trail would be more challenging than going up. The trail is marked but not extremely well. We asked advice from fellow hikers several times before finding it. You follow the falls trail (orange blazes, if I recall correctly) until you stop seeing water. Shortly thereafter, you'll see a large boulder formation directly in front of you. To the right, there are white blazes that mark the trail that loops back to the Glen Onoko parking area.

It took us about two hours to do the 2.1 miles. That was with multiple stops for pictures and snacks.

Have fun!

Jennifer Rush (96)

11 Completed3 Reviews

The hike is DANGEROUS. Please do not underestimate the trail. It is not maintained by anything other than foot traffic and that means in some places it is easy and in other spots it's hardly a trail at all. This path is steep climb in very close proximity to the waterfalls. Hikers can climb into and around the waterfalls. Please be cautious. People have died here. Please remember that if something happens to you there is no easy way for rescuers to reach you. The waterfalls are spectacular and well worth the hike if you can do it safely. Please use shoes with a good grip on them and please keep your hands free because in several places you may need to use them to help pull yourself up.

Marta Komosienski (65)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Love it! Very difficult for a hiking but worth every step! The only con is the trail is not well marked at all.

David P. (58)

Ann R (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Pay close attention to the signs. Not a difficult trail to the top if you want to see the falls, but pay attention on the way down.
Try the trail that does not follow the water on the way down. very steep and dangerous.

Jason Perkins (82)

1 Completed1 Reviews

As a previous review mentioned, if you climb all the way to the top you'll come back down on an easier switchback trail. So glad I noticed his comment before we left; I would *not* have enjoyed trying to descend along the falls (but the climb was fantastic).

Mark Griffin (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome hike! Very dangerous but not extremely difficult. Take the warning signs seriously. Pay attention to all your steps and you will be fine. Beautiful waterfalls make it worth the hazards. You may even see a snake or two basking on the water rocks. After your rewarding hike, grab a relaxing lunch in Jim Thorpe!

Christy Handel (156)

4 Completed2 Reviews

I'm just beginning to hike and this was an awesome trail to start on. Tons of waterfalls and lots of steep climbs. I saw many children, dogs, and even a pregnant woman, but I personally thought it was challenging and dangerous, especially when things got muddy. I would definitely go back in a heartbeat. So much fun!

Sue Affleck (59)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Saw many dog with their owners and even a few children on this hike. It was challenging but invigorating. The sights were breath taking. Don't get to involved in the climb that you miss the view on the way up.

Alene Shafnisky (362)

11 Completed11 Reviews

The trail around the falls was a little more challenging than we expected, but if you respect the trail and the potential for water and mud, it's really not too hard. The views are fantastic and it's very easy in most cases to make your way into the water safely for photos. We seemed to be the only ones who followed the trail up and over to the switchback downhill. It was well maintained, a little challenging - I'm glad we were going down, not up, I will say that. The switchback was longer, but didn't involve scrambling back down the path we came up. A really great, enjoyable, day hike. Even with photos and enjoying the view, as well as waiting and allowing other (younger) hikers to pass us, it still wasn't much over 2 hours to complete.

Support