Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Kelly's Run Natural Area is a 4.0 mile loop trail near the Susquehanna River in Holtwood, PA. The trail is rocky and steep in some places but it is a beautiful hike with views of small but picturesque waterfalls.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ashley Centini (624)

7 Completed3 Reviews

This was a really nice hike. It wasn't too crowded. I am really disappointed that I had no service here and couldn't track my trail. Maybe next time.

Joe Devine (608)

4 Completed2 Reviews

Finding the start to this trail was a bit confusing. I had read a review that talked about doing the trail clockwise vs. counter clockwise. I found the entrance to the trail clearly marked with a standing pole, but after 100 yards or so I realized I was going in the opposite direction of the recommendation. Why would it matter? Well, it is all about whether you want to hike up the creek bed or down it. I always prefer up. That is when you will want to go the slowest anyway. It makes the trek a bit "easier." Plus, going clockwise also allows you to hike in mostly down hill. Coming out in that direction does have you going up and over a ridge line, but I am glad I turned around. So, where did I find the other entrance? Across the park from the standing pole. When facing the pole, head left, toward the bathrooms, toward the large pavilion, toward a baseball field. There is a service road there. Take the road. It isn't marked, but you can follow it. Eventually you arrive at a large field and the trail is marked on poles through the field. Great hike!

Kristyn Zaenglein (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

We did the trail counter-clockwise. I wouldn't ever do it in this direction again. The long, steep uphill in the sun at the end on a fire road was a downer after the awesome beginning. The area is beautiful and we had a great time....until the end.

Amy Jessop (912)

37 Completed37 Reviews

Views of the river along the loop were lovely. Rather easy trail, but we hiked this loop in a light rain, which made the rock ledges slippery, so perhaps best to try it in dry conditions. Flock of turkey buzzards seen fishing near river.

Kip Trout (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome hike! Wooded hike, beautiful stream and open fields, too. Great variety. Long enough and tough enough to challenge us, yet our 12 yr old completed the hike too. One of our favorite hikes ever. Will definitely be back.

Crystal Luvmewhenithurtz (121)

4 Completed1 Reviews

great physical hike! intoxicating and exhausting. will go again.

Travis Neely (162)

7 Completed6 Reviews

See my review of the Kelly's Run Loop Trail. Would be nice to be able to see the GPS track of this hike as there are a few loops possible in this area. Would suggest getting a map before going. I think there is a kiosk at the Holtwood Recreation Area park off of Crystal Drive but I don't remember any maps there. I also think there is a map at the Pinnacle overlook but if so I don't remember it being great.

Corey Borchers (99)

4 Completed1 Reviews

The Pinnacle is a decent view, although a bit ruined by the parking area behind it. Sort of sullied the experience... The best bit is along Kelly's Run. Fantastic postcard picture perfect stroll along the creek. Rated it 3 stars because of the massive amounts of Arachnids. Must've had to clear at least a hundred webs just to get through the trail. Found most with my face. Not great if you're arachnophobic, which I'm not, but my GF is, so that made for some interesting bits. Oliver Patton trail (yellow blazes) is also wickedly overgrown in areas. Guessing it doesn't see much use. Next time I'm just doing an out and back along the Conestoga Trail portion of this loop (orange blazes).

Karen Frame (103)

2 Completed3 Reviews

This is my favorite place to hike so far! The first time we went counter clockwise and never found the pinnacle. But still a good experience. After finding good directions online for going clockwise we tried it that way. Much better experience! It saves you from having to climb all the way back out at the end when you are hot and tired. Also a fun scramble up the rocks to the pinnacle and fantastic views. Looking forward to next time!

Jenny Hart (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

We hiked counterclockwise on this trail, also hiked a little bit extra to The Pinnacle (totally recommend this). It's not a tough trail at all in my opinion. NOTE: If you hike this trail with shoes it can be VERY slippery; we always hike barefoot so we didn't have any trouble. Also, to avoid getting lost your first time, pay attention to the trail blazes, scenery, water direction, etc. (the water forks in a couple places, make sure you pay attention :) Take time to enjoy the views, have fun!!

Support