Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Kelly's Run Natural Area is a 4.0 mile loop trail near the Susquehanna River in Holtwood, PA. The trail is rocky and steep in some places but it is a beautiful hike with views of small but picturesque waterfalls.

Person_placeholder

31 Completed 31 Reviews

Views of the river along the loop were lovely. Rather easy trail, but we hiked this loop in a light rain, which made the rock ledges slippery, so perhaps best to try it in dry conditions. Flock of turkey buzzards seen fishing near river.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Awesome hike! Wooded hike, beautiful stream and open fields, too. Great variety. Long enough and tough enough to challenge us, yet our 12 yr old completed the hike too. One of our favorite hikes ever. Will definitely be back.

4 Completed 1 Reviews

great physical hike! intoxicating and exhausting. will go again.

7 Completed 6 Reviews

See my review of the Kelly's Run Loop Trail. Would be nice to be able to see the GPS track of this hike as there are a few loops possible in this area. Would suggest getting a map before going. I think there is a kiosk at the Holtwood Recreation Area park off of Crystal Drive but I don't remember any maps there. I also think there is a map at the Pinnacle overlook but if so I don't remember it being great.

Person_placeholder

4 Completed 1 Reviews

The Pinnacle is a decent view, although a bit ruined by the parking area behind it. Sort of sullied the experience... The best bit is along Kelly's Run. Fantastic postcard picture perfect stroll along the creek. Rated it 3 stars because of the massive amounts of Arachnids. Must've had to clear at least a hundred webs just to get through the trail. Found most with my face. Not great if you're arachnophobic, which I'm not, but my GF is, so that made for some interesting bits. Oliver Patton trail (yellow blazes) is also wickedly overgrown in areas. Guessing it doesn't see much use. Next time I'm just doing an out and back along the Conestoga Trail portion of this loop (orange blazes).

2 Completed 3 Reviews

This is my favorite place to hike so far! The first time we went counter clockwise and never found the pinnacle. But still a good experience. After finding good directions online for going clockwise we tried it that way. Much better experience! It saves you from having to climb all the way back out at the end when you are hot and tired. Also a fun scramble up the rocks to the pinnacle and fantastic views. Looking forward to next time!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

We hiked counterclockwise on this trail, also hiked a little bit extra to The Pinnacle (totally recommend this). It's not a tough trail at all in my opinion. NOTE: If you hike this trail with shoes it can be VERY slippery; we always hike barefoot so we didn't have any trouble. Also, to avoid getting lost your first time, pay attention to the trail blazes, scenery, water direction, etc. (the water forks in a couple places, make sure you pay attention :)

Take time to enjoy the views, have fun!!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

I had a great time hiking this trail for the first time! We went counter clockwise on this loop and did the rock climbing and river crossings first, with the uphill battle towards the end. Would definitely do it again!

1 Completed 1 Reviews

This trail is a lot of fun with scenic views the whole way. There are also a lot of options to this trail, besides the 3.5mi loop, you can connect with several much longer trails. In the past I've connected with the Conestoga and Pinnacle Trails, for a steadier hike which reaches the Pinnacle Overlook and has several rock overhangs that show the river well. The rocks can be slippery and make sure you are wearing a good boot. Take time to sit at every waterfall, lots of nature to be seen along the way. I've been hiking this loop, since I was little. I just did it again with some guys from work. It never disappoints.

2 Completed 1 Reviews

a lot of fun. waterfalls are smaller but still very nice.

Support