Kelly's Run Loop Trail

MODERATE
#2 of 4 trails in Holtwood Recreation Park
true
Kelly's Run Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holtwood, PA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly kid friendly birding hiking nature trips walking horses forest river views waterfall wild flowers wildlife muddy rocky
Hide Map

Kelly's Run Natural Area is a 4.0 mile loop trail near the Susquehanna River in Holtwood, PA. The trail is rocky and steep in some places but it is a beautiful hike with views of small but picturesque waterfalls.

Carley Love

3 Completed0 Reviews

I loved this hike but I just learned that the landowners have sold off the property and the new owners have put up no trespassing signs and are officially blocking access to this wonderful trail!

Margarita Melendez

1 Completed0 Reviews

Full of surprises! Can't wait to go back!

Andrew Tyson

Andrew Tyson

1 Completed0 Reviews

the pave road half way thru it was only part I had a problem with. Other then that it was an awesome hike. will definitely do this one again

Amanda Jantzi

1 Completed0 Reviews

Great hike, moderate difficulty. Plenty of places to include more technical climbs along the water. Super water spot in the summer for kids as well.

Jeff Brinker

1 Completed0 Reviews

This was a fun hike following the cut of the mountain. This path would be difficult to complete with high water if your goal is to stay dry. The start of the trail is not mark from the parking lot. The start is to the right of the ball field. Have fun! Going out is all down hill. Coming back is the reverse.

Ed Roland

5 Completed0 Reviews

Greg Nauss

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great trail. Some technical parts. Be prepared to cross the stream a few times. Went after a few days of rain and the stream was flowing pretty good so walking through it in cold weather wasn't an option. Small water falls were great.

michelle buchanan

1 Completed1 Reviews

standing in the parking lot as we speak it is a beautiful hike definitely go counterclockwise go out behind the baseball fields and then follow the blue blaze awesome

Kimberly Hannah

1 Completed1 Reviews

This experience was so serene and a nice hike overall. You get a little bit of everything but I recommend to pan for the whole day if you will like to do the whole trail.

Donna Thomas

William Hughes

31 Completed17 Reviews

The hike starts at the Holtswood recreation area, with two ballfields and pavilions. There is a paved parking area with bathrooms, but the bathrooms were locked when I visited in October. I would have preferred to hike the loop clockwise, so I could hike up the creek, rather than down. In order to hike clockwise, start on the third base side of the western most ball field. A portion of the trail is through a large open field and another portion is on an abandoned paved road. The trail is very well marked with blue blazes.

Much of the trail is easy, with a mild descent to the Susquehanna. There are a couple of steeper areas, and the portion of the tail that follows and crosses the creek can be tricky; especially with wet leaves and wet rock surfaces. The creek portion of the trail makes this hike worth it. Map My Run calculated the loop at 4 miles.

Zach Miller

3 Completed1 Reviews

Fun and beautiful

James C

33 Completed20 Reviews

Awesome trail with varying terrain. Loved the creek that had mini waterfalls and shallow pools. Took me about an hour to hike and I'm definitely coming back soon.

Megan Christine

4 Completed1 Reviews

Got to the park early in the morning and started by the baseball field, behind the bathrooms. Took my dog and by the end we both had had a great workout! Loved being by the water and rocks, fire road section was rough for us, but walking across the field was a great end to it! Will be back to venture around more!

Scott B

1 Completed1 Reviews

Nice trail except for the fire road section (paved). Along the creek was nice with some small water falls and what could be a few spots to take a dip if you would like.

I did the loop counter clockwise. I think clockwise would be better. Wouldn't call the trail easy. It has some tricky spots.

Found some offshoot trails but mostly they were overgrown. Definitely going back to explore more of the area

Megan McAuliffe

1 Completed1 Reviews

A well marked trail and a nice workout.

Robert Martin

51 Completed2 Reviews

No problem finding the trailhead, nice hike, down by the creek was picturesque, and the pinnacle was a great view. Don’t what the big deal is about which direction you go, you are out hiking who cares of its easy one way or the other? If you are that worried you can practically drive to the pinnacle.

Ashley Centini

8 Completed3 Reviews

This was a really nice hike. It wasn't too crowded. I am really disappointed that I had no service here and couldn't track my trail. Maybe next time.

Joe Devine

2 Completed2 Reviews

Finding the start to this trail was a bit confusing. I had read a review that talked about doing the trail clockwise vs. counter clockwise. I found the entrance to the trail clearly marked with a standing pole, but after 100 yards or so I realized I was going in the opposite direction of the recommendation. Why would it matter? Well, it is all about whether you want to hike up the creek bed or down it. I always prefer up. That is when you will want to go the slowest anyway. It makes the trek a bit "easier." Plus, going clockwise also allows you to hike in mostly down hill. Coming out in that direction does have you going up and over a ridge line, but I am glad I turned around. So, where did I find the other entrance? Across the park from the standing pole. When facing the pole, head left, toward the bathrooms, toward the large pavilion, toward a baseball field. There is a service road there. Take the road. It isn't marked, but you can follow it. Eventually you arrive at a large field and the trail is marked on poles through the field. Great hike!