Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Loyalsock Trail is a 59.2 mile point-to-point trail located near Shrewsbury Twp, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Route 220 on the east side and Route 42 on the west..

For Regular Hike Information: alpineclublt@comcast.net

10 Completed 5 Reviews

This trail is not for the faint at heart. Thru hiked this trail in 3 1/12 days and it was intense. Due to injury, three of our original five hikers bailed and hiked out after day one. If you're hiking this trail from West to East, then get ready for a tough start. At the trailhead, you immediately go straight up for about a half mile, this is the most difficult part of the trail, but not by much. The entire trail continuously goes up and down on very difficult terrain. However, each day the trail gets easier to hike. Do not let that last comment make you lazy as the days progress, I got tired and lazy and rolled my ankle on our third day where we had to hike 19 miles, and then had to hike 13 miles the next day to finish, not awesome. Either way, be prepared mentally and physically! And don't forget your camera, because this area is absolutely beautiful and the most isolated trail I have hiked in PA. My idea of perfect!!

A little helpful info: LOTS of water on this trail, secluded but there are opportunities to hike out if needed, you will pass a bar at one point (sadly, it was closed when we passed), not a ton of campsites but there are plenty (the best ones are listed in the guide book)

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend the guide book made by the Williamsport Alpine Club. It may seem a bit pricey but there is good reason for it, the guide is incredibly detailed and helpful.

9 Completed 2 Reviews

One of my favorite places in PA. Need to do the whole thing sometime. Just did the area to the North and East of Worlds End for the third time.

Icon_

8 Completed 8 Reviews

great trail didnt get to hike the whole thing but will def be back to give it another go. very beautiful scenere.
love the trail when it runs along the rushing water, it was to cold to take a dip in but was very beautiful. very steep climbes, which was very exhausting but worth the trip.did run in to a couple people with there dogs other then that very peaceful.

15 Completed 11 Reviews

This year I have hiked the western end from Sones Pound thru the Haystacks to the trail head and the Eastern end from the trail head to Smith's Knob and back to bear Run Road. A year and a half ago I hike the portion thru Kitchum Run through the Alpine vistas and back the High Knob Road. Only a couple more sections to go. lol

1 Completed 1 Reviews

To date, I've done the eastern half (30 miles) of the Loyalsock Trail, and I must say it's rugged and unusually beautiful. Near the eastern terminus are the Haystacks which are a series of large pools in the Loyalsock Creek made of hard stone - really beautiful and great for a soak on a hot day. Around World's End SP, the trail dips into the gorge for a 700' descent and reascent which is challenging and almost rainforest like (LOTS of moss). The falls at Ketchum Run were awesome (Ladder Trail) with sheer and precarious looking cliff faces...they seemed like they could crumble at any moment! Split Rock on High Knob really gives an indication of the underlying geology of the area.

On my most recent section hike, I came off trail at High Knob Overlook via the Holtzauer Trail. I saw so many wondrous cliff faces and caves, that I'm determined to get back to the area to do more exploration. I took a lot away from this amazing adventure!

Brian Brudnicki

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Almost there! At Sones pond on to haystacks... Been to several areas before, fav spot is Lee's fall in Ketchum Run. Usually easy to find water on the trail so you can pack light. Awesome trail! MST is next..

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Hiked the whole trail Thurs night through Sunday morning shooting for a 20 mile/day pace. Hilly, giving it moderate difficulty rating in my book, but well worth it. I have done portions of the trail particularly near Worlds End several times (4 or 5 trips in the last few years). Have seen lots of wildlife, beautiful vistas. Worlds end area there is more people around-same with the haystacks and Sones Pond. The area experiences lots of flooding in 2011 and all of the swimming holes have changed- be very careful even if you know the area well. The flooding also resulted in sand-covered shores in some areas, great for setting up tents on!

10 Completed 10 Reviews

One of my favorites in PA. Worlds End is a treasure.

15 Completed 13 Reviews

I'm surprised that more people haven't reviewed this trail. I have never hiked the full thing at one time. I've made a few two day hikes on different sections, and did a good chunk of it in Boy Scouts as a kid. My experience that this is a well maintained trail with a lot of variety of terrain. There are some parts that are very steep where you are holding onto trees or the ground to make it up. There are parts that are flat meandering through meadows, or following old railroad beds. There are also some very scenic vistas. I plan to hike the whole thing in the next month or so, so I'll write a more comprehensive review then.

1 Completed 2 Reviews