Mingo Creek County Park Loop Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Mingo Creek County Park
Mingo Creek County Park Loop Trail is a 5 mile loop trail located near Eighty Four, Pennsylvania and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

5.0 miles Loop 250 feet
Hide Map

Janette Schafer

14 Completed12 Reviews

The trails are not well marked but there are some nice views. You can make your hike as hard or as easy as you like. I'll definitely go back to that park.

Jennifer Rosson

3 Completed3 Reviews

This wasn't actually a loop trail...it was a 2.8 mile stretch and you had to go out and back. It was nice...a mix of shade and sun and not too crowded. I walked the paved trail but noticed some hiking trails through the woods off the main one. Lots of folks with dogs (on leash only) and bicycles.

Nate Hake

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful densely wooded county park. huge off leash dog area, much nicer than South Park. There are a decent amount of long trails with moderate elevation, suitable for afternoon hike or walk with the dog! many picnic areas in the park off the trails.

Laurie Ford

1 Completed2 Reviews

Exciting afternoon! I walked my dog up in the observatory area. We even did a bit of the perimeter trail. On the way down, on the level part walking back to the car, a deer ran out of the woods chased by three coyotes right in front of us. A backpacker who hikes up there had told me she heard a pack of coyotes howling. Well, now I have proof!

Laurie Ford

1 Completed2 Reviews

I have hiked around Mingo Creek Park since I was a child. Recently I have been hiking in the observatory/group campground area a lot with my dog. I do not see the perimeter trail as something you hike all at once. I agree with some of the reviews below that parts of it are poorly marked, muddy, and dangerous. There are so many trails all over the park. There are great trails up by the observatory, including parts of the perimeter trail. I'd say walk bits and pieces of the perimeter trail at a time as parts of other walks.

David Coleman

5 Completed2 Reviews

Trail very poorly marked. Numerous unmarked trails intersect trail and trail meanders through meadows and road crossing with no markings to indicate correct direction. Potentially dangerous as many trails go onto private property that is logged. A major headache. Trail is not 5 miles (at least twice that). Muddy in places. It would be a very nice hike if someone would mark the trail properly. Would not recommend it unless you have all day to compensate for all the wrong turns you will take.

dan buzard

1 Completed1 Reviews

Today I hiked the entire perimeter (horse) trail. Its about 13.5 miles. Its a tough trail. Total climb was just under 2000'. Very muddy now; trekking poles were necessary. Great workout, though. Constant up and down.

Michael Cubbage

1 Completed1 Reviews

Very nice park. I hiked over 11 miles, over most of the park. Great scenery, and some challenging hills. Lots of fun. Also tons of paved trails for biking. I will definitely stop by again, when I'm in the area.

I.m. P.

parked close to the western entrance and hiked along the paved trail to the eastern. on the way back i walked up to the observatory and then tried a few of the horse trails. those trails aren't marked very well and it is easy to get lost. i had downloaded the maplets map for the park. even with that, one could become lost. got back on the paved trail near the horse trailer parking area on the eastern side of the park and hiked back.

sungirl blue

2 Completed1 Reviews

Today my boyfriend and I completed the trail that runs the perimeter of the park. He thinks it falls somewhere between 12 and 15 miles in distance....i think for sure it was at least 15. It took 6 hours, and it almost kicked my butt! There are beautiful views and lovely forest settings all along this trail. Topographically, there were lots of hills, but they never seemed too much to get through. They were long enough to challenge. and just short enough not to discourage a novice hiker. Although not well-marked (i didn't need markings because my boyfriend has been hiking and biking that park for 10+years), Mingo's trails are very well-maintained. I suggest that you pick up a trail map at the park office.
Today was a perfect beginning of fall day. We prefer fall and winter hiking because spring and summer rains can make the trails extremely muddy. Besides the extensive trail system, Mingo also has some wonderful pavilions, playground areas, and other amenities that make this one of our favorite local treasures.