The Pinnacle Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 4 trails in Berks County Park
l>
The Pinnacle Trail is a 13 mile loop trail located near Hamburg, PA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dog friendly camping hiking mountain biking trail running walking rocky views
Hide Map

From the gate follow the road up to the Appalachian Trail, follow the white blazes through the switch backs then climb to the summit of Pulpit Rock then continue on the trail for about 2 miles then follow the blue blazed trail to the summit. Backtrack on the blue blazed trail from the summit and follow the Appalacian Trail towards Eckville. Once you hit an open meadow, a blue blaze trail will be on your left. Take this trail and it will bring you down to a reservior. Follow the reservior road back to the parking area.

Jeff Bailey

3 Completed3 Reviews

Finally got an opportunity to hike Pulpit/Pinnacle, and really enjoyed it. Did the 8.7 mile version of the loop, whereas alltrails shows it as 13+ miles. Pretty rocky terrain - wear decent footwear. From the trailhead at the water treatment plant, once you cross the bridge, head right in order to go counter-clockwise around the loop. This way, you hit pulpit rock first. Pulpit rock has very nice views, but they would seem disappointing if you've already been to the Pinnicle. The views from Pinnacle are great. Get to the trailhead early so that you can spend some time at the Pinnacle just enjoying the view and exploring the small cave that is just below the top of the Pinnacle.

I didn't take my dog due to reported rockiness, and I'm not sure that I'd take him if I went back. Most of the trail is no problem, but the rockiest sections may be to difficult for a dog to navigate.

I'm pretty sure that I'll do this trail again - if for no other reason than to take my daughter. It was a busy trail (we went on a saturday in January) - Pinnacle was somewhat crowded, and people passed us on the trail all during the day. Not a "seculded walk in the woods", but a very nice day hiking.

Mike Hewett

6 Completed5 Reviews

John Duffin

1 Completed1 Reviews

Excellent. Plenty of challenge, My first time climbing. decent ascent and great views. Close to Philly.

Andrew S.

Krystyna Miletta

2 Completed2 Reviews

Matt Fellin

11 Completed11 Reviews

Dani Wander

1 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked with my border collie and it was tough for him at parts due to large stones at times but he was able to hike would recommend pad covers.

evan transue

2 Completed3 Reviews

Did the hike completely alone.. Went to Pulpit's rock > snacked > then made a spontaneous decision to go to Pinnacle! This hike is no joke in my opinion. 8.95 miles takes a lot longer than one would expect, and this is the longest hike I've ever done. Maybe it was just bad judgement on my part but I'd recommend going with friends or family to anyone attempting this, and start earlier in the day!

evan transue