The Pinnacle Trail

MODERATE
#1 of 4 trails in Berks County Park
The Pinnacle Trail is a 13 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, PA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

dog friendly camping hiking mountain biking trail running walking views rocky
Hide Map

A great hike on portions of the Appalachian Trail. Observatory is enroute to Pinnacle with outstanding views of Lehigh Valley and Interstate 78. Lots of wildlife to watch along the way. From the gate follow the road up to the Appalachian Trail, follow the white blazes through the switch backs then climb to the summit of Pulpit Rock then continue on the trail for about 2 miles then follow the blue blazed trail to the summit. Backtrack on the blue blazed trail from the summit and follow the Appalacian Trail towards Eckville. Once you hit an open meadow, a blue blaze trail will be on your left. Take this trail and it will bring you down to a reservior. Follow the reservior road back to the parking area.

Nate Wilson

1 Completed1 Reviews

Trail gets very rocky at the top but the view is completely worth it.

Aislinn D.

Planned to do an overnight but trail isn't really long enough or difficult enough to require this. Hiked clockwise. First half of the trail is pretty boring, just a wide trail that you could drive a car on almost. Once we reached the Pinnacle there was a great view and nice places to relax and enjoy lunch. The hike back down is insanely rocky (or I should say boulders). It was fun at first then just got kind of annoying climbing over/around all the rocks. For the area, the view is great which is why I gave this trail 4 stars and not 3.

Sean Alfred

1 Completed1 Reviews

Have hiked this a few different times. a fun hike to do in the winter as well. wonderful views.

Ian Pasko

1 Completed1 Reviews

I do this trail at least once every year, usually on or around New Years Day. Great views and good trails.

Melina Zapata

1 Completed1 Reviews

I went a few weeks back. The view itself was BEAUTIFUL once you got to the top. Absolutely breath taking. The incline was hard on me - I'm not exactly in shape, so it took me longer than usual. There is a nice, clear path almost the entire way. I took my dog (it was a very dog friendly hike), he loved it but it kicked both of our behinds. Only tips would be WEAR CONFY SHOES and being LOTS of water (more than you think you'll need).

Carolyn Solt

32 Completed33 Reviews

Luis Vasquez

Had a great time

Katie Shemanski

1 Completed1 Reviews

Loved this hike. We ended up doing the whole 13miles. I think we will head up a different way next time to save some time but it was definitely worth the experience!

Kyrie Hawkins

Mike Vader

2 Completed1 Reviews

Brian Evans

James Arndt

3 Completed3 Reviews

This trail is very scenic, offers phenomenal scenery. Myself and two friends hiked up to pulpit rock (where they got tired out), counter clockwise up the roadway first. When I go again, I'll definitely take another route up, as the sharp incline of the road was rough on all of us. There is an observatory at pulpit rock, which myself and my friends had the pleasure of looking inside at. Would recommend to anyone looking for a decent day-hike.

Megan Milligan

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great day trip! Wear hiking boots it's very rocky

John Shelley

1 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike with excellent scenery. Plenty of spots to set up for the night. However, the only allowed site to camp is the shelter. Make sure you register your car if parking overnight.

Margie Evelyn

1 Completed1 Reviews

My first trail loved every minute of it!

John Shelley

1 Completed2 Reviews

Moderate difficulty. Very scenic. Had a 35lb bag. Great scenery

Lori Haggenmiller

7 Completed5 Reviews

I find it's more enjoyable to take the blue-blazed trail along Furnace Creek which intersects the white-blazed Appalachian Trail at the helipad and takes you first to the Pinnacle. It's about 4 miles from the parking lot at the water treatment plant to the Pinnacle using this route. Then head south on the Appalachian Trail another 2 miles or so and come to Pulpit Rock. Watch out for copperheads, they love hanging out in the crevices between those boulders. Speaking of boulders - there is a stretch between the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock that requires extensive scrambling. Wear good boots. Great 9-mile hike, takes me just under five hours to complete, allowing for some downtime at both vistas. Go on a weekday morning to avoid the crowds.

Talia Ashbrook

7 Completed8 Reviews

Really great trail, and not too crowded (we went on a Sunday in early April). The views are really great from both pulpit rock and the pinnacle. I definitely agree with other viewers who suggested going counterclockwise around the loop!

Loring S.

Awesome hike but our loop was only 8.4 miles. Incredible views and a good workout on the AT Check out my full write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

Lizz Jones

1 Completed1 Reviews

My husband and I really enjoyed this trail. We took our 1.5 year old German shepherd and Alaskan malamute and they handled it well also. I would probably consider this more moderate since it is a bit steep and rocky. We took a blue marked trail by accident and weren't able to get to the rock but next time, we know. Definitely important to wear good shoes.