Breakheart Loop

#1 of 1 trails in Arcadia Management Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Breakheart Loop is a 6.3 mile loop trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking & walking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Robert Rydeski (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Scenery rivaled some of the best in RI. Peaceful and tranquil. However the bugs were unreal. Incredibly frustrating. Looking forward to returning with snowshoes in a few months.

Ted M. (475)

16 Completed18 Reviews

I completed an 8.5 mile loop on 7/18/15 that started near Breakheart Pond and utilized other trails in this area. This is a good option for folks that may want to complete a longer loop. Instead of driving all the way to the pond I parked at the Frosty Hollow Pond Fishing Area on Frosty Hollow Rd (on the right just before a wood bridge). I then took the white blazed Baton Trail north out of the lot toward the pond. This is a fun section of trail (approx 1 mile) up to Breakheart Pond that partially runs along a stream. At one point you have to take a left to stay on this trail instead of going straight on a yellow blazed trial. Once I hit the pond I went right and eventually saw the sign on the left for the Breakheart Trail which is yellow blazed. I then followed the yellow blazes across the dirt Matteson Plain Rd and continued until I hit the white blazed Shelter trail, which I took and which eventually took me to Plain Road. I took a left on Plain Road and walked a short distance until the white blazes turned right into a meadow and then further south through a section of woods, where it eventually exited on Frosty Hollow Rd right near the fishing area where I was parked. A nice loop on a nice day! I will try to upload my track from Mapmyhike.

Shelby Mcintyre (36)

Nice, quiet

Sarah H (103)

5 Completed3 Reviews

Pretty path with great trails. A little hard to find the path and stay on it. Lots of bugs but it's summertime in the woods so that was expected!!

Dave L (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Parked at the end of Austin Farm Rd and walked into this well maintained site. Paths were nice, not well marked but very nice hike. Didn't complete as I brought kids from work but will return to explore more!

Keith Burgess (66)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Ok poor markings on trails

Keith Burgess (66)

1 Completed2 Reviews

Pamela Tonole (97)

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great place to walk the dogs. They enjoy the water stops!

Heather Anderson (164)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Love this hike! It is definitely a go to of mine when I don't have time to look a hike up and the dog wants to join for a great hike.

Roberta Curry (233)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Breakheart loop of a peaceful walk; just enough of a challenge to be enjoyable!! Dogs love it except for the occasional mtn biker, we feel like with have the place to ourselves.