Breakheart Loop

MODERATE
#1 of 2 trails in Arcadia Management Area
true
Breakheart Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Exeter, RI that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash kid friendly hiking mountain biking snowshoeing trail running walking forest lake river wild flowers
Hide Map

Joe Forget

1 Completed0 Reviews

Cool trail. Had a mix of vehicle traveled paths and a little more challenging trail section.

Marc Tetreault

3 Completed0 Reviews

It was nice, very easy trail. Family friendly, large maintained trails.

Peter M. Iascone

13 Completed8 Reviews

Beautiful pine carpeted trail with waterfalls and bridges lucked out with a 46° January day recommend it highly

Peter M. Iascone

13 Completed8 Reviews

Beautiful pine
carpet trail with waterfalls and bridges great 46° weather in January recommend it highly

Michael Andruchow

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful trail. Easy walk with 6 and 7 year old kids.

Robert Rydeski

1 Completed1 Reviews

Scenery rivaled some of the best in RI. Peaceful and tranquil. However the bugs were unreal. Incredibly frustrating. Looking forward to returning with snowshoes in a few months.

Ted M.

25 Completed24 Reviews

I completed an 8.5 mile loop on 7/18/15 that started near Breakheart Pond and utilized other trails in this area. This is a good option for folks that may want to complete a longer loop. Instead of driving all the way to the pond I parked at the Frosty Hollow Pond Fishing Area on Frosty Hollow Rd (on the right just before a wood bridge). I then took the white blazed Baton Trail north out of the lot toward the pond. This is a fun section of trail (approx 1 mile) up to Breakheart Pond that partially runs along a stream. At one point you have to take a left to stay on this trail instead of going straight on a yellow blazed trial. Once I hit the pond I went right and eventually saw the sign on the left for the Breakheart Trail which is yellow blazed. I then followed the yellow blazes across the dirt Matteson Plain Rd and continued until I hit the white blazed Shelter trail, which I took and which eventually took me to Plain Road. I took a left on Plain Road and walked a short distance until the white blazes turned right into a meadow and then further south through a section of woods, where it eventually exited on Frosty Hollow Rd right near the fishing area where I was parked. A nice loop on a nice day! I will try to upload my track from Mapmyhike.

Shelby Mcintyre

Nice, quiet

Dave L

2 Completed1 Reviews

Parked at the end of Austin Farm Rd and walked into this well maintained site. Paths were nice, not well marked but very nice hike. Didn't complete as I brought kids from work but will return to explore more!

Keith Burgess

2 Completed2 Reviews

Ok poor markings on trails

Keith Burgess

2 Completed2 Reviews

Pamela Tonole

2 Completed1 Reviews

Great place to walk the dogs. They enjoy the water stops!

Heather Anderson

4 Completed4 Reviews

Love this hike! It is definitely a go to of mine when I don't have time to look a hike up and the dog wants to join for a great hike.

Roberta Curry

3 Completed3 Reviews

Breakheart loop of a peaceful walk; just enough of a challenge to be enjoyable!! Dogs love it except for the occasional mtn biker, we feel like with have the place to ourselves.

Roger Barthelet

26 Completed17 Reviews

This trail was a beginners trail at best. It was a pleasant walk in the woods. The trail at times seemed more like a dirt road than a trail. The most challenging thing about the hike was trying to follow the mostly unmarked trails. It was a good hike for my 14 year old Grandson and my Golden Retriever. Before tackling this trail, visit the helpful link below and print a map of all the trails for this area. The All Trails Map is ok but there are a maze of interconnecting trails that can easily confuse.

Terri Heywood

4 Completed4 Reviews

When we did this trail it was very poorly marked.

Kelly Bertram

11 Completed2 Reviews

This was a great hike! My dog loved it! We will be going back very soon.

Brandon Gerlitzki

4 Completed2 Reviews

Did this today (October 27). Foliage was really nice. Pretty colors, and nice open trails. Didn't have any scenic views or overlooks besides the pond. Probably would be better for a run, or bike ride. Nice area to park, and well marked trail. Bring orange vests this time of year because of hunters. I believe the sign said October to February.

Manny Francis

6 Completed5 Reviews

Great little hike here. Did it last year with a few friends. Easily navigable. Plenty of scenery, ponds, water, etc. Some decent hills and terrain to traverse as well. Recommended for a nice morning hike!

Ryan Brown

5 Completed3 Reviews

This was a lovely hike, especially in the fog and rain. The combination of weather, moss decked trees, and serene quiet added a mysterious note to the hike. A number of old New England farm ruins are strewn throughout the woods. Two large foundations, a well, and a number of feral apple trees are well worth a quick excursion off the trail. The old dam and fish ladder are also interesting, lending further mystique to the pond. I would very much like to find out more about this area and why the pond is no longer managed. That aside, the loop is very easy, consisting mostly of compacted trails that vary little in elevation. I will definitely hike here again.