Mount Tom Trail

#1 of 1 trails in Beach Pond Forest Environment Site

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Mount Tom Trail is a 4.2 mile out and back trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ted M. (337)

12 Completed14 Reviews

I completed this trail this morning (7/25/15) and made it into an approximate 7 mile loop. I parked at the canoe drop off/hunting check point area on Rt 165 a little bit before Mt. Tom Road. As noted in a previous review the trail starts at the back of the parking lot and is white blazed. The trail starts as a wide wood path until it crosses the Blitzkrieg Trail dirt road, and then it turns into a really nice section of trail that follows a stream to Mt Tom Road. After crossing Mt Tom Road the trail takes you through a great section of trail that includes the ledges. This is worth exploring and taking your time to climb various sections of rocks – although trees seem to impede many of the views. At about 2.3 miles the trail intersects with Rt. 165 and I continued north staying on the white blazed Mt. Tom trail. Just before Barber Rd I took a right onto an unblazed trail which led me to Sand Hill Trail, which I took south until I hit the Old Ten Rod Road. I took this east/northeast until I hit the Brookie trail. I took this south and where it intersected the Flat River stream (just before a small bridge) I went right off the dirt road and followed a trail which eventually took me to Rt 165 right across from where I parked. This last section of trail was really cool – the stream/river was very nice and it seemed like this section of trail is seldom used. In fact I had to do a bit of blazing and a crazing crossing where the Flat River and Falls River merge. Overall a great morning of hiking.

Beth P. (91)

During the spring when Mountain Laurel is in bloom or during the fall foliage, this trail is spectacular. There is a little scrambling in some areas, very easy to maneuver though. Great views of Beach Pond (bring your kayaks and paddle around after). This whole area is beautiful and great place to start your children off with some hiking.

Daisy Echevarria (1033)

45 Completed10 Reviews

It's a fairly easy hike with a few rocky scrambles. I parked and started the trail via the Arcadia Mngmnt Area. Beautiful hike, overall, although I would not continue this hike past the highway as there isn't much to see and the trail becomes more of a horse trail with droppings along the way. If you do decide to continue the hike, this trail connects to a few other trails to make this a half day hike. I came in December which is a great time to see the views. Wear your orange vests during hunting season!! You'll also see TONS of downy woodpeckers here. Enjoy!

Jay Greene (220)

5 Completed5 Reviews

Nice scenic trail. I parked at the check point area on 165 and picked up Mt Tom trail there. Starts off with a leisurely walk through the pines and along a stream, then gradually inclines to the scenic areas. The rock ledges and cliffs are my favorite part of the trail. The moss covered rocks are more difficult to navigate when raining out, so try to avoid that if less experienced. Overall, a decent trail. I posted 4 pics from the trail.

Cristy Rice (77)

2 Completed1 Reviews

James Thompson (6152)

99 Completed84 Reviews

We did this hike as a loop hike, parking at the Exeter Baptist Church on Rt 165 and Frosty Hollow Road. By crossing the highway up Summit Road for 1/4 mile you will find on your right the White blazed continuation of the Arcadia Trail. This will lead you down a nice wooded/pine grove trail to a Checkout Station. The actual Mt Tom Trail starts here. The first part of this trail is easy, but after you cross Mt Tom Road the trail climbs higher and higher over outcropping and ledges. Great views are to be had from the top of these cliffs. The trail crosses the highway and after a mile or so of an easy wooded trail, it reaches Barber Road, a main artery of the Arcadia Mamagement Area. It's an easy 2 mile walk back to the car. Nice hike.

Jim Robinson (522)

50 Completed6 Reviews

Nice little hike. Good views from the south-east side of Mount Tom (the actual peak is on the other side of the road and has no views). I would consider this more of a loop (as do other sources). My map was GPS tracked. Great spring near the Howard Barber Homestead on Barber Trail. Nothing left of the home, but the fields are still there. Some of this is a bit of a scramble, some of it is along dirt roads, most of it is pretty easy.

Support