Harney Peak - South Dakota Highpoint

Custer, SD
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Sylvan Lake Harney Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

29 Completed 21 Reviews

Nice trail. Good views. If you're going to see Mt Rushmore and feel like a nice hike this is the one.

Person_placeholder

13 Completed 2 Reviews

I did this hike in mid-April and the paths were coated in a nice layer of snow, but it made it more of an adventure! This was a beautiful hike and the view from the top is extraordinary! If you are in the area, this hike is well worth your time!

3 Completed 2 Reviews

I've been on this trail, and I have to tell you that the view from Harney Peak is outstanding. If you hike it in the summer, make sure to bring plenty of water, and be sure that you are in great shape because the last part of the hike is uphill, or make sure you rest every so often before you get to the top. The hike is well worth it, because it goes through a beautiful area, but there are other people that hike it, so the trail has a lot of hikers on it and there are two different ways to get to Harney Peak. One starts near Sylvan Lake in Custer StatePark, and prefer that trail because it is a better way up.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Took trail 9 up and down. First true hiking experience I've been on, but the view was totally worth it.

Person_placeholder

3 Completed 2 Reviews

Did this with my wife and 11 year old daughter over Labor Day. All Trails lists this at 5100 feet gain, but is closer to 1500. Typo on their part I suppose.

We took the #4 trail up and the #9 trail down, which makes it a little longer with more of a gain than just the #9 trail both ways. The #4 loses a lot of altitude midway up and you have to climb it again.

This was an enjoyable day hike, but a bit crowded. The fire tower at the top was really nice and the views were great.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

Absolutely loved this hike! This was also our first big hike - got us loving the outdoors and exploring!!! We were right next to a mountain goat coming down!!! Worth the hike!

13 Completed 13 Reviews

Not just a hike but a family adventure that brought us closer than any other event. My wife fished Sylvan Lake while the kids and I along with our cousin took the ten mile high altitude challenge. We combined it with the Little Devils Tower Spur. Best part was having lunch with our legs dangling on a cliff at over 6,000 feet, The highlight for everyone was the lone mountain goat that was resting at the top when we got there! Eat heartily and drink lots of water, we all had a touch of altitude sickness. Even still, well worth it!

17 Completed 13 Reviews

Harney Peak Elevation 7242. The claim to fame for Harney Peak is that it is the highest point between the Rockies and the Alps.This is the hike where I found my love for hiking. I've hiked this about 7 or 8 times now. I always enjoy it. If the weather is hot wear swim trunks for a nice cool off at Lake Sylvan when you're done. I've seen Mountain goats at the top several times. They also like Little Devils Tower. This is a must do hike when you're in the Black Hills.

21 Completed 7 Reviews

I went light and fast with a fanny pack with a banana to eat at the summit. It was an awesome hike on the way up. I spent maybe 20-30 minutes at the summit admiring the 360 degree view then ran most of the way back which was probably the most fun I've ever had on a hike. Awesome flying back!

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Beautiful hike that's fun and easy enough for all ages. We hiked it with a 2, 4, and 6 year old. view from the top is phenomenal but pack a light sweater, even in the summer the wind can make it quite cool at the top.

Support