Harney Peak - South Dakota Highpoint

#1 of 32 trails in black hills national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Sylvan Lake Harney Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Ashley Hanel (228)

18 Completed8 Reviews

I hiked this trail with my dad a long time ago; however, I am going back in a few weeks to do it again! I can't wait to get to the top of this trail! I remember the view being amazing!!!

Dean Hanson (38)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Be sure to experience Little Devils Tower. The best views of surrounding area. The Needles, Cathedral Spires, and Harney Peak.

Lucas O. (115)

Neal Thomas (478)

4 Completed5 Reviews

What a great hike!! Grew up in Custer and this was my first time ever hiking it (now 38) my son (7) and I had a great day! We must have gotten lucky, others up on top said that they had never been on top with NO WIND.. We could see for miles... Well just until the earth starts to curve.. lol someone please tell me what's with all the multicolored flags hanging the some of the trees on top?? Get their about 7/8 am to avoid others and eat lunch at the top of SD!!
Be safe, Give A Hoot DONT Pollute!!

Jennifer Bush (118)

3 Completed2 Reviews

We hiked this trail with all 5 of our kids aged 3-13 and enjoyed it. Most of the trail was wide and well marked. The last 1/2 mile to the top was steep and challenging but the end view was well worth it. Being able to see the tower from several points along the trail was a great encouragement to move the younger ones on the way up. I would recommend that you have previous hiking experience before atempting to tackle this trail.

Taylor Farr (569)

21 Completed20 Reviews

K.A. Harper (232)

32 Completed5 Reviews

This was one of our favorite hikes. We took trail 4 up, trail 9 back. Do watch for thunderstorms, we were at the top and the clouds rolled in quite suddenly. We got halfway down the mountain and got caught in a thunderstorm complete with hail. At least the terrain on trail 9 was fairly easy and allowed us to pick up the pace! The rain was gone just as quickly as it came by the time we reached the bottom of the mountain and we were soaked to the skin. Our family (kids 18, 12, 9) agreed this certainly made the hike very memorable.

Aaron Craig (58)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful views and a trail that didn't keep your gaze downward. We started too late in the day though. Didn't make the peak but was still a great hike!

Jeff Line (451)

11 Completed11 Reviews

Did this hike with my Wife and kids (then 7 and 9). Great sense of accomplishment for young hikers to climb a mountain. Only complaint was no gift shop at the fire tower on top. we took an alternate route to the top and came back on the main trail so we only saw other hikers on the return.

Jim Kempen (419)

22 Completed2 Reviews

I took an alternate route starting at Willow Creek Horse Camp which added another 1,000 feet of elevation gain and a round trip of 10.8 miles. It starts out meandering through meadows of tall grass and wild flowers. Then follows below a cliff for a while. From then on cliffs spring up all around you and the views are absolutely amazing. This trail is shared with horses so watch your step. I cant wait to bring my kids here.

Support