Harney Peak - South Dakota Highpoint

#1 of 32 trails in black hills national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Sylvan Lake Harney Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10 Completed 10 Reviews

Did this hike with my Wife and kids (then 7 and 9). Great sense of accomplishment for young hikers to climb a mountain. Only complaint was no gift shop at the fire tower on top. we took an alternate route to the top and came back on the main trail so we only saw other hikers on the return.

21 Completed 2 Reviews

I took an alternate route starting at Willow Creek Horse Camp which added another 1,000 feet of elevation gain and a round trip of 10.8 miles. It starts out meandering through meadows of tall grass and wild flowers. Then follows below a cliff for a while. From then on cliffs spring up all around you and the views are absolutely amazing. This trail is shared with horses so watch your step. I cant wait to bring my kids here.

Icon_

2 Completed 2 Reviews

I combined the Lost Cabin trail with the Harney Peak South and North trails for a great loop. The Harney peak from Sylvan Lake was crowded but but the rest of the loop I only met 2 other hikers. It was a great mix of scenery and terrain. 4 stars instead of 5 due to the heavy use from the horse camp on the north end. Watch your step! The link is to my tracks.

26 Completed 25 Reviews

Fun hike with a variety of trail options so that the return trip does not have to be exactly the same. Great vista at the end. Advertised as the highest peak between the Pyrenees and the Rockies. :) Lots of interesting rock "needles" formations along the way.

4 Completed 3 Reviews

One of the best hikes I've ever done. It took us about 90 minutes at a pretty good pace. You should allot 2 hours each way. The trail starts out across a meadow, but then ends up quite steep with lots of boulder hopping. You should bring water, wear appropriate shoes (not thongs or flipflops!) and apply sunscreen generously. The views are absolutely outstanding. The former Fire Station is in good condition and is a great place for lunch. There are no restroom facilities at the Fire Station Lookout. Go early in the morning when it is more cool. Avoid going to late in the afternoon as sudden thunderstorms can blow through.

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Adored this trip. There were three of us. Forecast was bad. 40's and rain. We thought the rain was done when we started but it wasn't. Thought about turning back a few times. But we kept on. Glad we did. Made it though to the top and got a great view of nothing but white. It was still wonderful. Wet, muddy and sometimes grumpy, but we did it. Pack accordingly.

Icon_8fea3fb720b2a301f61f782f0d90cbf0

48 Completed 36 Reviews

Splendid as usual. Depending on what time of year you're going, make sure to pack weather appropriate gear. I usually hike this in May and the weather can be very unpredictable. For instance, when I hiked this trail a couple weeks ago the temps were in the low 40's and the wind was 25 - 35 mph. It actually snowed on us briefly before it turned to rain. I was glad that I had packed rain gear because damp clothing in those conditions can lead to stage 1 hypothermia rather quickly.

I am a bit disappointed in the amount of trees lost in the last few years due to the Pine Bark Beetle. Not the trail's fault, just an observation.

Icon_

29 Completed 21 Reviews

Nice trail. Good views. If you're going to see Mt Rushmore and feel like a nice hike this is the one.

Person_placeholder

13 Completed 2 Reviews

I did this hike in mid-April and the paths were coated in a nice layer of snow, but it made it more of an adventure! This was a beautiful hike and the view from the top is extraordinary! If you are in the area, this hike is well worth your time!

3 Completed 2 Reviews

I've been on this trail, and I have to tell you that the view from Harney Peak is outstanding. If you hike it in the summer, make sure to bring plenty of water, and be sure that you are in great shape because the last part of the hike is uphill, or make sure you rest every so often before you get to the top. The hike is well worth it, because it goes through a beautiful area, but there are other people that hike it, so the trail has a lot of hikers on it and there are two different ways to get to Harney Peak. One starts near Sylvan Lake in Custer StatePark, and prefer that trail because it is a better way up.

Support