Harney Peak - South Dakota Highpoint

#1 of 32 trails in black hills national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Sylvan Lake Harney Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Christine Kruger (135)

3 Completed2 Reviews

the view from the top is worth every step. We were there July 4, 2015 and the trail was BUSY! There were beetle problems and the park has lost a lot of trees to them. This made it very easy to see the surrounding scenery but shade was hard to come by in spots. The peak is made for adventurous souls. Plenty to climb around on or just find a spot to have a packed lunch. It's a fairly long hike and no restrooms or privacy along the way, so plan accordingly during busy season.

Kimberly Powell (3646)

36 Completed21 Reviews

Absolutely stunning views. I think we went over the 7 miles. They have several different trails from moderate to easy. We took the hike around the entire lake which involved some light rock climbing. The peak to Harney from trail 9 (mostly used) is somewhat easy, mostly inclined trailed and rock steps. Will get your blood flowing. Make sure you take plenty of water and some trail mix because you will be there a while. Seems like a lot of people were out of breath and taking breaks. Luckily the entire view is worthy of breaks. It was very windy and chilly at the top but warm the entire way there at the end of July.

Mike Taylor (208)

3 Completed3 Reviews

I approached it from the Cathedral Spires trailhead, which was the right decision - cool rocks and less people. Sylvan Lake was a zoo and there were a LOT of people on the trail where we merged about 3/4 of the way to the peak. Great views but summer weekends will be crazy busy.

Lynnel Bruemmer (39)

4 Completed1 Reviews

Janette Wilson-Williams (101)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This is our 2nd time hiking to Harney Peak and our 10 year old daughters first time. What an adventure. We started at Sylvan Lake trail #9 and when we came back, we came down trail 3 and 4 to get back to Sylvan Lake. Started at 9:30 and arrived at Peak @ 11:30. We arrived back to Sylvan around 3pm. It's good to take a lunch and spend about an hour, then make your way back down. Be sure to get in good condition for this kind of hike. Take plenty of water and good nutrients to keep up your energy.

Sarah Miner (174)

5 Completed3 Reviews

This trail was awesome. It starts out pretty moderate, being flat & less rocky. As you start to get closer to the peak the incline gets much more steep and the air gets a bit thinner which makes the last stretch before the peak quite strenuous. Overall, the trail was definitely worth it & the views were spectacular. Multiple places to stop along the way with scenic views. Great for pictures! The lookout/peak has a great view of the span of the black hills & beyond but is quite windy & cold, so make sure to bring a few extra layers. 10/10 would recommend.

Ashley Hanel (228)

18 Completed8 Reviews

I hiked this trail with my dad a long time ago; however, I am going back in a few weeks to do it again! I can't wait to get to the top of this trail! I remember the view being amazing!!!

Dean Hanson (120)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Be sure to experience Little Devils Tower. The best views of surrounding area. The Needles, Cathedral Spires, and Harney Peak.

Lucas O. (246)

Neal Thomas (579)

5 Completed6 Reviews

What a great hike!! Grew up in Custer and this was my first time ever hiking it (now 38) my son (7) and I had a great day! We must have gotten lucky, others up on top said that they had never been on top with NO WIND.. We could see for miles... Well just until the earth starts to curve.. lol someone please tell me what's with all the multicolored flags hanging the some of the trees on top?? Get their about 7/8 am to avoid others and eat lunch at the top of SD!!
Be safe, Give A Hoot DONT Pollute!!

Support