Appalachian Trail: Davenport Gap to Max Patch

#19 of 171 trails in pisgah national forest

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Appalachian Trail: Davenport Gap to Max Patch is a 16 mile point-to-point trail located near Hartford, Tennessee. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Person_placeholder

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Awesome section hike to do this direction. Finishing at Max Patch is such a treat! The hike is challenging and is great to do with friends and a dog. The shelter 9.6ish miles in fills up by days end, but there are plenty of spots to set up a tent if you bring your own gear.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

This section of the Appalachian Trail is amazing. From the gap the trail follows the river for about 2 miles with several waterfalls. Very steep climb up to Snow Bird mountain but the view is well worth it. Best time of year to hike is in the spring since the forest and balds are covered in wildflowers. Max Patch is the most wonderful bald with grassy meadows. It's an old logging camp and homesteat with 360 degree views.

5 Completed 5 Reviews

I have hiked over 1500 miles of the Appalachian Trail and I must say this is one of my favorite sections. We had friends meet us at Max Patch with a picnic lunch. It is a moderate section with medium climbs. The best time of year to hike this section is in the spring.

7 Completed 1 Reviews

K is correct. The views here are indescribable and completely unbeatable. This is one of my favorite places to take my dog, who loves the room the run. The night sky from here is breathtaking, but be advised: take a jacket! Even on the warmest of nights, the altitude and wind can cause goose-bumps :P

2 Completed 3 Reviews

Haven't actually hiked this section of the AT, but Max Patch is a MUST SEE! I've taken some amazing photos there . . . and they still do the scenery very little justice. The hike to the top is steep, but short, and worth EVERY STEP! Once at the top, you can see 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains. I would am hoping to to camp there this summer, I hear the view of the night-sky is absolutely breath-taking!

Support