Buggytop Trail and Sewanee Natural Bridge Trail

MODERATE
l>
Buggytop Trail and Sewanee Natural Bridge Trail is a 4.2 mile out and back trail located near Sewanee, TN that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking cave forest river rocky views washed out
Hide Map

Ample parking close to trailhead.

Tammy Workman

109 Completed1 Reviews

Rated easy, but lots of rocks. Watch your footing. Beautiful hike!

Tammy Workman

109 Completed1 Reviews

Rated easy, but lots of rocks. Watch your footing. Beautiful hike!

Kirby Crabtree

15 Completed10 Reviews

This is an excellent moderate day hiking trail that my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed! The cave is awesome and it is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to do it again someday soon.

Stephanie Shell

5 Completed5 Reviews

While this is a great hike there are some things one needs to know. The sign at the trailhead says 2 miles to the cave. It's 2 miles to the DESCENT to the cave, which is another .5 miles of steep, and/or narrow trails. At some points in the last leg, we ditched our trekking poles and slid down and held on to tree roots.
It was somewhat muddy in areas which made for slippery conditions.
Almost every step you take is rocky. Don't expect soft - forest floor trails at any point.
All that being said it was an amazing experience. Great work out and spectacular cave views. The payoff is worth it. Drier conditions would also yield more satisfaction.

Jaime Nelson

2 Completed2 Reviews

I didn't want it to end!! Got a good workout bc the second half is downhill, so uphill on the way back. Great length and payoff!! The cave is amazing and the views of the rock walls. I couldn't walk through to the other side cause the water was high and fast, but still great. Save time to enjoy hanging at the cave, I wish I'd had more.

Sara McNeil

7 Completed6 Reviews

Great fun hike. Enjoyed checking out the cave. I climbed the little ladder that takes you into an extension of the cave, but I didn't go far. I wasn't sure how much I trusted the ladder, haha! I'll be coming back again soon.

James H.

The trail to Buggytop is relatively easy. We originally took the Pete cave entrance trail to the cave. Went down into the cave and explored. Then went back to the Buggytop entrance trail. This section has some difficult portions with a steep elevation change. We then explored the lower portion on the cave. Experienced hikers can hike down into Pete cave entrance and exit the Buggytop entrance. Recommended to not try this if hiking solo because of the risk of injury.
Also, Parking is not a pull through so don't block the entrance because people won't be able to get out. This happened to us on our trip there.

Heather Gray

8 Completed3 Reviews

This was a very beautiful trail. It was also very well marked. We got an early start and therefore had the whole trail/ cave to ourselves for exploring. We originally planned to hike this when it had rained the day before, but thanks to having read some of the comments below we decided to hold off another day and let things dry up a bit. This turned out to be a great choice on our part, as the trek back up from the cave was kind of rough - can't imagine having to get back up it in any wetter conditions. Had an absolute blast. Will be coming back to this one.

Paula Barber

1 Completed1 Reviews

Loved it, very beautiful!

Brendan Rauer

43 Completed15 Reviews

Cave was awesome, but was with someone who had a lot of experience in this cave. Be VERY carful during and after rain fall as the creek becomes a ragging river!