Buggytop Trail and Sewanee Natural Bridge

Sewanee, TN

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Buggytop Trail and Sewanee Natural Bridge is a 4.4 mile out and back trail located near Sewanee, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Jessica Pesut (148)

23 Completed8 Reviews

Was pleasantly surprised by this trail. It was really fun to hike and the cave was amazing. I didn't even go in (it was closed and caves scare the crap out of me), but just walking in a bit and looking around was cool. There's even a few great views along the trail.

cindy solomon (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Many of the comments from recent reviewers are spot on (slick trail when wet, bring head lamp to explore cave and so forth). I didn't read all of the reviews so pardon me if this is repetitive but a couple of important things to know: the sign at the trail head states that it's closed Nov. 1 through May 1. Good thing we showed up on May 2 but I'm not sure how you would keep people off the trail when it's "closed." Also there is poison ivy EVERYWHERE along the trail. It is a small miracle neither my husband nor I got itchy as we wore shorts to hike in. We were VERY mindful of where we stepped as we hiked because the plants were all along the path and in more than a few places in small patches on the path. That being said just watch where you go and where you might stop to take a break or a drink of water. There were sine pretty wild flowers along the way and the cave is really awesome. Water flow in the cave in early May may be higher than in the drier summer months so keep that in mind if you want to go in and explore. We did not have plastic sealed bags to put cameras and cell phones in so we did not explore much. Will go back someday better prepared.

Rusty B (40)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome out and back trail with a very fun cave to explore. Bring headlamps since it is helpful to use both hands when climbing around on the rocks.

Andrew W. (58)

this was a great trial, loved the cave. definitely going back with better lights to explore it more!

Elizabeth McFadden (70)

15 Completed1 Reviews

I wanted to write a review to not discourage folks from this amazing trail! My husband and I are weekend trailers and by no means experts. Although challenging, this trail is worth it! The cave is stunning and we really enjoyed the "reward." Although I would not do this trail if it's wet outside, if dry, it's entirely feasible for anyone, including children. Just remember to bring headlamps, as they really help further explore the cave (and you can't really see much inside without them). It's about 4 miles from the Carter Cave Natural Area but if you are able to find the short-cut (about a 1/2 mile up the road from the Carter Cave parking area) it's only about a 2 mile hike. Just bring plenty of water, sturdy shoes and a walking stick is a definite plus.

Olivia Jowers (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I really wanted to enjoy this but I guess I am scared of the dark. It also doesn't help that all the rocks inside move under your feet and make you feel unsteady. Afterwards a friend said he went there once and was followed out by Mountian Lions. This would be more fun to someone who is in really good shape or an adrenaline junkie who isn't scared of falling in a cave.

Anna DeMers (129)

4 Completed4 Reviews

Great tray! We went on a hike with the Friends of South Cumberland and had a ranger guide. We went through the cave. The cave seemed very visited compared to some others that we had been in. The trail was wet, a bit dangerous, but for those who were prepared, it was a blast!

Erik H (388)

20 Completed7 Reviews

Pretty good hike with plenty of good views and scenery. Going through Peter cave to the other side was a fun little adventure. We will be back again.

Erick Blackwood (891)

13 Completed4 Reviews

At the end of TN ave, on Sewanne's campus, is a giant white cross with a lovely overlook of Franklin County. On both ends of that cross are two hiking trails. If you're facing the overlook, the trail to the right will take you to the natural bridge, waterfalls, cave, etc. The trail to the left is mainly just a walk through the woods. I highly recommend taking a day trip and tackling both trails. There's a lovely cafe or two near campus to take a break between hikes.

Lauren Wilson (102)

1 Completed1 Reviews

The trail was lovely, including wildflowers and scenic rocks and bolders. The cliff overlook was phenomenol. Also, the trail leads to multiple cave entrances, which are scenic and beautiful.

Support