Buggytop Trail and Sewanee Natural Bridge Trail

MODERATE
Sewanee, TN
true
Buggytop Trail and Sewanee Natural Bridge Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sewanee, TN that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs on leash hiking cave forest river views rocky washed out
Hide Map

Ample parking close to trailhead.

Zoose Tanglewood

4 Completed0 Reviews

CAVE IS CLOSED FROM NOV 1 to MAY 1 every year to protect bat hibernation. But the trail is open all year. Forestry services will often show up to make sure no one is in the cave when there are cars in the parking lot.

Cave is amazing and fun to explore for hours. No gear needed, just gloves and a flashlight and a good pair of boots. Trail is rocky but well maintained. About half of it is all downhill to the cave and very steep when you arrive to the entrance.

Paige Palmer

6 Completed0 Reviews

First time caving and it was a challenge, being 5'1", but I loved it! Beautiful hike.

Tammy Workman

133 Completed1 Reviews

Rated easy, but lots of rocks. Watch your footing. Beautiful hike!

Tammy Workman

133 Completed1 Reviews

Rated easy, but lots of rocks. Watch your footing. Beautiful hike!

Kirby Crabtree

20 Completed10 Reviews

This is an excellent moderate day hiking trail that my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed! The cave is awesome and it is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to do it again someday soon.

Stephanie Shell

5 Completed5 Reviews

While this is a great hike there are some things one needs to know. The sign at the trailhead says 2 miles to the cave. It's 2 miles to the DESCENT to the cave, which is another .5 miles of steep, and/or narrow trails. At some points in the last leg, we ditched our trekking poles and slid down and held on to tree roots.
It was somewhat muddy in areas which made for slippery conditions.
Almost every step you take is rocky. Don't expect soft - forest floor trails at any point.
All that being said it was an amazing experience. Great work out and spectacular cave views. The payoff is worth it. Drier conditions would also yield more satisfaction.

Jaime Nelson

4 Completed2 Reviews

I didn't want it to end!! Got a good workout bc the second half is downhill, so uphill on the way back. Great length and payoff!! The cave is amazing and the views of the rock walls. I couldn't walk through to the other side cause the water was high and fast, but still great. Save time to enjoy hanging at the cave, I wish I'd had more.

Sara McNeil

8 Completed6 Reviews

Great fun hike. Enjoyed checking out the cave. I climbed the little ladder that takes you into an extension of the cave, but I didn't go far. I wasn't sure how much I trusted the ladder, haha! I'll be coming back again soon.

James H.

The trail to Buggytop is relatively easy. We originally took the Pete cave entrance trail to the cave. Went down into the cave and explored. Then went back to the Buggytop entrance trail. This section has some difficult portions with a steep elevation change. We then explored the lower portion on the cave. Experienced hikers can hike down into Pete cave entrance and exit the Buggytop entrance. Recommended to not try this if hiking solo because of the risk of injury.
Also, Parking is not a pull through so don't block the entrance because people won't be able to get out. This happened to us on our trip there.

Heather Gray

8 Completed3 Reviews

This was a very beautiful trail. It was also very well marked. We got an early start and therefore had the whole trail/ cave to ourselves for exploring. We originally planned to hike this when it had rained the day before, but thanks to having read some of the comments below we decided to hold off another day and let things dry up a bit. This turned out to be a great choice on our part, as the trek back up from the cave was kind of rough - can't imagine having to get back up it in any wetter conditions. Had an absolute blast. Will be coming back to this one.

Paula Barber

1 Completed1 Reviews

Loved it, very beautiful!

Brendan Rauer

43 Completed15 Reviews

Cave was awesome, but was with someone who had a lot of experience in this cave. Be VERY carful during and after rain fall as the creek becomes a ragging river!

Heather Marie

14 Completed14 Reviews

Loved it!

Drew Cleek

2 Completed2 Reviews

Fun trail. Great place to take a beginner or children. The natural bridge is beautiful along with several natural cave formations.

Erik H

28 Completed11 Reviews

Denise Higgins

4 Completed3 Reviews

This trail was rated as easy. I am not a very experienced hiker but some spots were tough. There was a lot of climbing, but still a great hike. Worth the trek to see the beautiful cave. It was like sitting in a huge, air conditioned room.

Lee Summers

3 Completed3 Reviews

Has been a few years since i have made the hike. Back in the day we could ride ATV's to the top of the cave. Another good trail, tho' the trail it's self is just a hike through the woods, coming out at the top of the cave is a great view. The natural bridge is a nice sidebar attraction while you are in the area. Put these two on your calender together and have fun.

Jessica Pesut

24 Completed9 Reviews

Was pleasantly surprised by this trail. It was really fun to hike and the cave was amazing. I didn't even go in (it was closed and caves scare the crap out of me), but just walking in a bit and looking around was cool. There's even a few great views along the trail.

cindy solomon

1 Completed1 Reviews

Many of the comments from recent reviewers are spot on (slick trail when wet, bring head lamp to explore cave and so forth). I didn't read all of the reviews so pardon me if this is repetitive but a couple of important things to know: the sign at the trail head states that it's closed Nov. 1 through May 1. Good thing we showed up on May 2 but I'm not sure how you would keep people off the trail when it's "closed." Also there is poison ivy EVERYWHERE along the trail. It is a small miracle neither my husband nor I got itchy as we wore shorts to hike in. We were VERY mindful of where we stepped as we hiked because the plants were all along the path and in more than a few places in small patches on the path. That being said just watch where you go and where you might stop to take a break or a drink of water. There were sine pretty wild flowers along the way and the cave is really awesome. Water flow in the cave in early May may be higher than in the drier summer months so keep that in mind if you want to go in and explore. We did not have plastic sealed bags to put cameras and cell phones in so we did not explore much. Will go back someday better prepared.

Rusty B

1 Completed1 Reviews

Awesome out and back trail with a very fun cave to explore. Bring headlamps since it is helpful to use both hands when climbing around on the rocks.