Chimney Tops Trail

#2 of 184 trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Chimney Tops Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. The trail may be open Friday to Sunday if work is being done on trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Michael Drew (36)

1 Completed0 Reviews

Great trek. Even more so if you plan on doing it with the right people. Make sure you pack some water, because the second phase is steep and full of stairs. We managed the ascent in just under 2 hours, the descent in 2.5, but mainly because on the way down we explored up the creeks which you can access from the bridges you'll pass over. This was my first time here, but will not be my last.

Anna Huff (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

It was really beautiful however it was a very very long walk for only being four miles round trip because of the steep incline. The pictures do not do the view justice if you are interested in a difficult hike this is perfect and even if you're not you could still stay near the beginning and enjoy the multiple streams

Jason Greer (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Once in a lifetime views when you get to the top. It's not the distance that might get you. It's the elevation. Highest elevation was 4783 feet. Total elevation change was 2444feet. Took 2 hours 15 minutes including stops & ascent to summit.

Tyler Jessop (108)

2 Completed2 Reviews

This was a great hike. I'm told one of the best in the smokies. It was the only one I did as I was just passing through but it was a blast. Trail is really well maintained and wide enough to pass without stepping off the trail. I got surprised by pouring rain about 10 minutes in but it relented at the top. If you care about staying dry I'd bring a rain jacket for sure, as a storm can blow in out of nowhere. When you get to the top, make sure you climb the rocks to the chimneys or you'll miss the best part of the hike! As long as it isn't currently raining, any able body can get up to the top. Just make sure you always have a place for your foot and you'll make it up no problem! I had a sandwich at the top while enjoying the incredible view, while most people were 100 feet below enjoying the mediocre alternative. The trail is a good climb, if you're going to make it that far don't let yourself chicken out on the rocks!

4 stars because it was really busy on a Monday afternoon.

Joe Z. (153)

This hike although short is quite the workout. The first mile goes by pretty quick but the same can not be said about last mile. It's a battle of personal will and I saw many older couples and out of shape tourists give up and turn back. When you reach the top there is an opening in the forest and you can see the main peak and like the day I went you will see many attempting to scale the rocky top. It looked like a giant ant hill with many little soldiers ants scaling to the top. I was amazed how some family's would allow their young children to climb the near vertical face of the rocks to reach the top. I couldn't help but feel a little frighten for them but as you know with youth comes little fear. I made the climb myself but fell short of the top. Commonsense and a little fear kept Me from the top I do somewhat envy the young people who made it. I might return with a climbing buddy to attempt it again.

Susan Schroeder (221)

5 Completed4 Reviews

The Smokies are beautiful and no doubt the scenery here is also. I give it only three stars because of the crowds and the rock scrambling at the top. People everywhere! Also the only way to experience the view at the top is very risky. This trail is very popular because access is right off Newfound Gap Road. There are better hikes in the park that will get you to the top of a mountain for the view with leas people.

Corissa Violette (48)

Beautiful!

Katie Kelderman (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

This was my first time hiking but this was the best trail to do it on. It's hard and a little slippery at times but so much fun. The climb at the end is worth it. I would rate it higher if I hadn't fallen coming down the trail by slipping. Would do it again.

Brian Lucignoli (57)