Chimney Tops Trail

#2 of 184 trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Chimney Tops Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. The trail may be open Friday to Sunday if work is being done on trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Larry Defilippo (66)

2 Completed0 Reviews

Great trail. Amazing views and gets your heart pumping.

Hmwende Hmwende (47)

2 Completed2 Reviews

One of my all time favorite hikes. Took 1 hour to get to the top, most difficult in the second half. Scrambling to the top is dangerous, especially with lots of people, but well worth it. Once on top, there is an easier way down if you go around to the right instead of going back the same way you came up.

Christian Lowry (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Fun and short enough for a day hike.

Toni Calobrisi (192)

2 Completed2 Reviews

My boyfriend and I went hiking there on Saturday. We had a blast! The trail is in excellent shape. Thankfully the rocks were dry so it wasn't slippery when we went. It is very scenic and worth the effort! I am a beginner and I had no issues at all :) Would definitely reccommend!

Martha Turner (247)

5 Completed2 Reviews

completed this trail yesterday, May 2, 2015 with Ronnie, Geraldine, and Sherry. Loved the mini waterfalls along the trail and although a diffcult steady climb the trail was in great shape. I pushed my self to climb to the top of "the rock" and the view and picture setting was AWESOMzE. I loved this hike.

Amanda Breeden (638)

19 Completed5 Reviews

Did this trail in the rain yesterday, which made it all the more challenging. Of course it was completely worth it, but the trademark "smoke" of the area rolled in before we made it to the top. It was a feeling of being secluded on the trail which accompanied the fog, but it was still gorgeous for what we could see. Highly recommend this trail.

alexis de seze (109)

4 Completed4 Reviews

william harrison (79)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The last 1.1 miles is rough. We didn't try the chimney although several people did, with some difficulty.

Jana Hays (363)

11 Completed7 Reviews

Robin Rainbow (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Near killed me but absolutely gorgeous babyyyyyyy

Support