Chimney Tops Trail

#2 of 184 trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Chimney Tops Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. The trail may be open Friday to Sunday if work is being done on trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Paul Dougherty (133)

11 Completed1 Reviews

One of the classic hikes in the Smokies and well worth it. Be prepared though, this trail goes up and up and up. I thought I might see the Maharishi at the top of it. Great hike and great view from the top.

Kevin Melton (54)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Great short hike (2+hours) right off the main road(411).The park has done an excellent job restoring the trail. While the top is a little tricky, it's well worth it. Highly recommended.

Mitchell Norton (273)

5 Completed2 Reviews

It has been a long time since I hiked this trail, but it is definitely on my list to do this year. I remember the last half being more difficult than the first half.

This hike is a difficult climb, but well worth it's one of a kind view of the Great Smoky Mountains.

Thad Snodgrass (172)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Great

Kat Ropa (133)

7 Completed7 Reviews

Holden LeCroy (470)

21 Completed5 Reviews

Okay, so this trail starts out really easy and gradually gets more difficult. However, the hardest part wasn't until the very end when we had to climb up slippery rocks that literally hanged off the side of the mountain. We made it, but it certainly makes your fear of heights come out. The view was definitely worth it. Will do it again!

Daniel Dion (111)

2 Completed2 Reviews

Excellent hike that was brief (3 hours). Perfect for those who are just passing through. The only concern is at the end where the trail officially "ends" but you can hike up a rock face to the very top. That is quite scary but worth the 360 degree view if you can hear yourself up for the scary part. But the views for those who remain behind are well worth it!

Kayla Pengelski (132)

13 Completed5 Reviews

This was a beautiful hike, but very strenuous! Once we got to the rock-summit, we were the only people there. This made climbing to the summit very accessible. Once we were half-way to the top, a large group arrived. I decided to turn back because I was getting a little anxious thinking about having all of those people around me. Overall, it was great!

Juan Caicedo (154)

3 Completed2 Reviews

Amber Caicedo (61)

3 Completed3 Reviews

We just went straight up and back down and it took about 2.5 hrs, including the rock face climbing at the summit. I only went half way up the rock face before deciding it was above my skill level. My husband went all the way up but afterward said it wasn't smart. There were way too many novices on the rock face. But the trail is beautiful all along the way.

Support