Chimney Tops Trail

#2 of 184 trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Chimney Tops Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river. The trail is primarily used for hiking & walking and is accessible year-round. The trail may be open Friday to Sunday if work is being done on trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

william harrison (80)

2 Completed2 Reviews

The last 1.1 miles is rough. We didn't try the chimney although several people did, with some difficulty.

Jana Hays (271)

5 Completed4 Reviews

Robin Rainbow (76)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Near killed me but absolutely gorgeous babyyyyyyy

Jim Harper (229)

9 Completed9 Reviews

Hiked it this past January. Lots of snow and Ice on the steps but the top was clear. Very few people on the trail during low season. Great views near the top.

Misty Atterton (308)

8 Completed3 Reviews

Even though it was a strenuous hike to the top it was totally worth it, but only if you go ahead and climb the rocks to get to the top. The day I went a lot of people got to the base of the rocks and turned around... To me that would have been a total waste. Especially with the view that's waiting at the top. The rocks aren't that hard to climb up, it just looks intimidating. Just make sure you are wearing the proper shoes!

Andrea Gonyeau (88)

11 Completed1 Reviews

Went on this hike with my husband in Aug 2014. I have to say so far this is my Favorite place !!! BEAUTIFUL scenery !!! Strenuous but TOTALLY worth it !!!And the view at the top is Breath taking !!

Mellissa Hayden (615)

17 Completed14 Reviews

I completed this trail 12/17/14. Hundreds of stairs, and very strenuous after the first mile. Amazing views after a mile and a half. I did this hike solo and late in the day so did not go up to the rock face. will go back to do it again one day
Overall, good hike.

Adam Ozment (57)

1 Completed1 Reviews

hiked this for the first time since they restored it (completed 12-12-14) to see what it was like. I counted 417 stairs, and missed at least 100 earlier on the trail. they did a good job restoring it, but it didn't change the difficulty level for me. also, the stairs were very slick with ice and snow, actually had to hike on the side of the trail for a majority of the trail. forgot my poles, I would highly suggest not forgetting trekking poles, lol

Nathanael Wingate (421)

15 Completed18 Reviews

You will not be disappointed the views are spectacular! Rough going up but easy coming down!! :)

Nathanael Wingate (421)