Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Cummins Falls is a 3.2 mile out and back trail located near Cookeville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Robert De Nise (37)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Great trail and awesome scenery. Went on a weekday so it wasn't crowded. Wear proper shoes for hiking.

Betsy Hawkins (60)

3 Completed3 Reviews

Fairly treacherous downhill hike to a wide riverbed. Water flowing in varying degrees as you walk along to the falls. The falls are absolutely beautiful!! Be warned, however, that it gets very crowded during the summer, particularly on weekends as a popular swimming hole.

We packed a light picnic lunch and ate on the large boulders. We also climbed the falls and the kids jumped from the lowest level of the falls into the swimming hole below. Very, very fun for all! Appropriate water shoes are a must!! Climbing over and around rocks is inevitable and the hike back is short but challenging.

stephen hine (54)

2 Completed1 Reviews

This is a great hiking area but as other people have said it is a must to have proper shoes the lower trail ends at the creek and it is a steap incline with only plain dirt to walk on and if it is muddy YOU WILL FALL there are only two ropes to hold on to. But once you get down its very pretty also to get down to the falls and swimming hole you with have to cross back and forth across the creek more than once so you mite get wet be prepared is all im saying but its very nice and worth the hike I love this area

Erik H (386)

18 Completed7 Reviews

Awesome hike with great scenery. You really got to wear proper footwear because the terrain gets rough in areas. The only complaint I have is that we did this a second hike of the day after Burgess falls, when we reached the falls it was so overcrowded with people that it really took away from the beauty of the place. The next time we go it will be in the fall so we can avoid the swim crowds.

Michelle Scrap-uh (87)

5 Completed1 Reviews

Gorgeous trail, mainly up a river. Bring shoes that you don't mind getting wet! Try your best not to bring any electronics in case you fall/drop them in the water. Lots of people on weekends, obviously, but there's enough space for everyone.

Dawn G. (347)

Best water day here. Had to cross the creek a couple of times on the way. Very rocky when you reach the falls. You can go behind the falls & jump off the lower ledge into the swimming hole. Lots of teenagers. Had to move where we were sitting because of some kids getting high.

Jessica B. (124)

Loved it! Tough trip back up but well worth the journey down!

Lindsay Brunner (531)

21 Completed21 Reviews

Holly Adams (36)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Absolutely loved this hiked! Well worth it and can't wait to go again this year. At the top of the trail there is an overlook that is very nice and easy to get to. The descent to the base of the trail gets pretty steep, but is marked. Once you make it to the river bed below, it's pretty much making your way around rocks. I actually spotted a baby snake as soon as we made it to the base. As you get closer to the falls, you have to go through water (not prepared) and coming up on the falls, you will have to make your way across rocks. The rocks are slippery in the riverbed, so it's best to be prepared and wear nice gripping shoes you can walk through water. I had my camera & was sure I was going to fall as I went barefoot through the up to my knees water. Be prepared to jump across rocks as you make your way to the falls. The waterfall is amazing & you realize it was all worth it once you get there.

Monte Seymour (1703)

50 Completed22 Reviews

Not really much of a hike but once you get to the river an the swimming hole it is well worth it. It is also for me a very beautiful waterfall.

Support