Flat Rock Cedar Glades and Barrens Hike Trail

Murfreesboro, TN

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Flat Rock Cedar Glades and Barrens Hike Trail is a 1.4 mile loop trail located near Murfreesboro, Tennessee and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Robert Harrison (68)

1 Completed1 Reviews

not a bad little trail. a couple spots that a kind of technical or at least beyond my skill level so I got off the bike and walked it over them but other wise was a nice short little loop. Considering Murfreesboro doesn't have any MTB trails, this one being close by, was refreshing to find.

Charlie Stout (46)

1 Completed1 Reviews

I hiked this with my wife and son prepping for a Savage Gulf trip. I wanted a flat easy trail comparable to the one we plan at SG. The trail head was easy to find and I snagged a shady spot in the small gravel lot. A small information board and stone memorial marker provide some background of the area. The trail starts on a dirt root tangled path for about a half mile then turns into a stream bed before opening up to alternating stretches of open fields, mossy woods and cedar barrens. We encountered a few small inclines. The toughest obstacles were the loose limestone rocks in the stream beds but that only lasts about 3/4 mile. I haven't seen it pointed out but there are actually two trails. There is a shorter 1.4 mile inner loop (purple) and a longer 3.5 mile outer loop (blue). I highly recommend the outer loop. The inner loop is simply a short cut across a field that chops the outer loop in half. The main sights for our visit were wild flowers, large glades, and a few crystal clear springs bubbling out of the earth and across some open fields. We saw no wildlife but weren't really looking for it either. Sometimes the trail blazes are infrequent so carrying a GPS helps (we used the everytrail map which is more accurate than allrail). But major turns are clearly marked with steel arrow markers and there are enough blazes to get you through the confusing areas. After about 1.5 miles blue and purple tree blazes turn into rock piles with marked poles. At one point a simple broom handle with the broom still attached marked a turn (probably put up by a hiker). How cool is that! My son and were in "Bear Grylls" mode and were keeping our eyes out for survival features like water sources and edible plants. We found some edible field grasses and next time we'll bring our water filter bottles for the springs and creeks we encountered - not that we'd need it but just for the awesome factor. It was a beautiful cool day and we really enjoyed this hike. We'll be back. This trail is a nice contrast to Barfield Backcountry and Stones River Battlefield Boundary trails.

Matthew Togger (109)

7 Completed1 Reviews

This trail is beautiful! There are flowers and butterflys everywhere and very low traffic. I only saw two other people as I was leaving. 95% of the trail is flat but there are some rocks so I would recommend wearing shoes. Due to the nature of the landscape I would also recommend using an organic insect and tick repellent. After moving through some tall grass I found two ticks on my socks.
The trails are clearly blazed with blue and purple. If you dont like walking into spider webs carry a stick when moving through the wooded sections.
In terms of wild life I saw one black snake and two lizards, along with a wide variety of insects and amazing fungi. Surprisingly I did not see or hear a great number of birds but that may have had to do with the temperature. The rocks do hold an extreme amount of heat so be sure to pack in plenty of water if you are visiting in the summer months.
My only major complaint was the map at the trail head. It is very old and vague, but with the clearly marked trails I was never worried about getting lost. (I also had a compass).
The parking area is small and the sign is hard to see so you have to pay attention; I passed it twice. The trail head is 0.9 miles from Halls Hill Pike.
considering how close this trail was to my apartment beside MTSU(5 miles) I was pleased with the escape I was able to find.

Call with any questions. 304 395 6745
Matthew

Jodie Jones (485)

19 Completed4 Reviews

A nice easy trail that has plenty of beautiful scenery. Also a great place to take your dog, especially if you trust them off-leash. You may get lucky and have the neighbor dogs join you as well!

Jenny McKee (157)

11 Completed2 Reviews

I took my 11 year old daughter with me on this hike and we were looking for a mild trail that I could lead a bunch of 11 and under homeschool kids on a hike. I was looking for a trail that was scenic but flat (for moms and dads with little ones in backpacks). It was a pretty trail especially the wildflowers and the many wildlife watching us from the woods. A local dog decided to hike with us the entire way. Alltrails said it would be a 1.4 mile loop. The trails were marked but not so great. The history of the area is neat and the trail head gave a great overview of the age of the pioneer. However, when we had been gone for well over 2 hours with really no hope of seeing the "loop" portion of the trail, the lack of water and the 100 plus heat definately took it's toll. We read on alltrails that it was an easy hike and short so we just took a water bottle rather than our day packs. It is EXTREMELY easy to get turned around on this trail especially when your are all the way back on the glades portion. There was not a drop of water and after 2 hrs, the scenery was rock and trees and not much else. Had it not been for that local dog, we probably would still be there. I'm a seasoned hiker and I never get turned around but this definately threw me off my game. Another thing, the area in which the hike is located is a little disconcerting. The kind of place where you don't want to be there after dark. On the trail we encountered a LOT of dumping grounds of old washers, ovens, rusty this and that, old tires and just major trash in general. This would be a great place for trail running! But I would NOT do it alone.

Nick Bogdanovic (151)

10 Completed3 Reviews

Clarissa Moditz (329)

1 Completed5 Reviews

Flat Rock is a pretty neat little place in my opinion, especially if you go at the right time (spring/summer for all sorts of different wildflowers like Nashville breadroot, black-eyed susans, rough blazing stars, etc.; fall for gorgeous colors). A peaceful hike, not strenuous in the least unless you go in late summer, where the limestone in the glades can collect inordinant amounts of heat. Peaceful with little traffic (usually) aside from students and professors from MTSU, aside from kids nearby who sometimes go in and wreck everything on their fourwheelers.

Support