House Mountain

#1 of 1 trails in House Mountain State Natural Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Take a short challenging hike right in the city!

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

Lindsay Brunner (531)

21 Completed21 Reviews

Ben Myhre (345)

8 Completed5 Reviews

The whole mountain took me about 3.5 hours but I stopped a lot to look at the views from different points. It was about as I expected on West Overlook Trail the .8 mile hike that goes to the west over look on Crest Trail and Mountain Trail the 1 mile trail that lead to the half way mark on Crest Trail. They were both rocky and steep but Mountain Trail was a more rewarding hike with pretty good views near the top of the trail. Over all House Mountain was a good half day expedition with rewarding views at the top. I do recommend this trail for a quick but moderately challenging hike.

Amanda McIntyre (104)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Wasn't expecting much from this hike but due to the steep grade it was harder than I expected. The views at the top were also much better than I expected as well though.

Shelby Ellis (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike! Did it alone to get a break from the city and it was a wonderful half day long escape.

Colleen Nora LeFaivre (64)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked several times with friends when I lived in the area about 17 years ago....loved the views and enjoyed the climb. ....have some very good memories with Doug when we went there!

Nikki Hoskins (65)

7 Completed1 Reviews

Completed loop. Awesome views from the top rocks! The kids 9 and 13 were troopers and rocked it.

David Stidham (62)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Eric A. (179)

Fairly short but a nice challenge. The West Overlook Trail has lots of rocks near the top. The Mountain Crest Trail has lots of BIG steps you have to take. Very beautiful views from the top. The trail is very well marked. The trail head could use more parking. There is also a restroom at the trail head.

Liz Shelley (309)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Great hike for my dog and I. More strenuous than I was told, but still enjoyed it. Straight up in places and slippery, had to boost Bo up over rocks a couple of times. Parking is an issue, get there early, but once on the trails, very few encounters for a Saturday afternoon. Think this would be better once all the leaves fall, the few places we found to take in the views were worth all the work. Trail is marked well and wouldn't mind doing it again.

Carol Thomas (130)

5 Completed5 Reviews

The hike is short but straight up, great views from the top.

Support