House Mountain

Corryton, TN
Share review on:

Thanks! How would you describe the trail and its activities?

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Take a short challenging hike right in the city!

There are many trails and variations to the area but this hike will be described as a loop hike in counter clock motion.
Take the main trail from the parking lot and then turn right on the blue blaze trails. There are many rock formations to see and winter views from this trail. After 1 mile you reach the red blaze trail it is 1.5 mile in length but will add a little more to your hike if you go all the way out to the rock outcrop for the best views from the top. Go back (west) on the trail for 1.5 miles until you reach the west overlook. Nice views but the scenery is littered with cell towers and buildings from the view of Knoxville accented with interstate noise. The connector to the white blaze trail is covered by blow downs at the time of this review so a little off trail is required to get to the white blaze trail. This trail is 0.8 mi and will quickly descend to the main parking lot to finish the loop.

I-40 to Rutledge Pike then left on Iduema and then left on Hogskin parking on right.

N/A

6 Completed 6 Reviews

Wasn't expecting much from this hike but due to the steep grade it was harder than I expected. The views at the top were also much better than I expected as well though.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Beautiful hike! Did it alone to get a break from the city and it was a wonderful half day long escape.

6 Completed 1 Reviews

Hiked several times with friends when I lived in the area about 17 years ago....loved the views and enjoyed the climb. ....have some very good memories with Doug when we went there!

7 Completed 1 Reviews

Completed loop. Awesome views from the top rocks! The kids 9 and 13 were troopers and rocked it.

1 Completed 1 Reviews

Eric Adkins

7 Completed 8 Reviews

Fairly short but a nice challenge. The West Overlook Trail has lots of rocks near the top. The Mountain Crest Trail has lots of BIG steps you have to take. Very beautiful views from the top. The trail is very well marked. The trail head could use more parking. There is also a restroom at the trail head.

4 Completed 4 Reviews

Great hike for my dog and I. More strenuous than I was told, but still enjoyed it. Straight up in places and slippery, had to boost Bo up over rocks a couple of times. Parking is an issue, get there early, but once on the trails, very few encounters for a Saturday afternoon. Think this would be better once all the leaves fall, the few places we found to take in the views were worth all the work. Trail is marked well and wouldn't mind doing it again.

Icon_

5 Completed 5 Reviews

The hike is short but straight up, great views from the top.

Icon_

39 Completed 14 Reviews

about 40 minutes out of knoxville, this is a relaxing moderate hike up House Mountain. There are only a few good spots for viewing unfortunately along the path until you get to the tower in which you get superb panoramic views

7 Completed 5 Reviews

Did the hike today. We started the trail around 9am just as the fog was clearing in the area. As this is just my 4th hike ever...it was difficult for me during the first lag (1 mile climb) but I am so glad that my hiking buddy encouraged me to get to the top. The views are BREATHTAKING!! On the way up we met a couple of local men that do the hike 3xs a week and they stopped and chatted with us, giving us some tips and pointed out some interesting things. We took our times as there are plenty of places to stop and rest and ate our lunch at the most beautiful overview I've seen yet. We also were happy to see a hawk soaring overhead with it's wings spread wide! With the rest breaks and lazy lunch we completed the roundtrip (approx. 4 miles) in 3 hours 20 minutes. (The local guys told us they do it in 1 hour 20 min, give or take a few) Can't wait to do this hike again!!

Support