House Mountain

#1 of 1 trails in House Mountain State Natural Area

Join the largest community of outdoor enthusiasts.

Get Started

Upgrade to Pro

Unlimited access to National Geographic TOPO! & Trails Illustrated Maps

Learn More »

Take a short challenging hike right in the city!

Share your experience to help other people learn more about this trail:

Write ReviewUpload PhotosUpload Tracks

William Jones (730)

25 Completed24 Reviews

Great trail! We had beautiful weather that day. No matter what trail you take up to the top to the overlooks, they are steep in many places. But it's well worth it. A little more than 5 miles from start to finish. Get there early, not much parking for this wonderful trail.

Tim Thompson (493)

12 Completed4 Reviews

If you enjoy crowded trails, lots of dogs, and a steep climb then this is a hike you will enjoy. The view is worth the aforementioned steep climb but with so many other fantastic trails in the area this is not a destination hike. Leash rule is commonly ignored. Locals love it because it is close to home but truthfully, although I have completed this hike a few times it is really just an o.k. hike.

Teresa Wilson (72)

7 Completed1 Reviews

Great 3 hour hike! Walked up to the west overlook, then over to the split for the west/east overlook and down. Beautiful day!

Nathanael Wingate (421)

15 Completed18 Reviews

Easy Hike and we'll maintained trails. The views are great!

Erika Romenesko (129)

8 Completed2 Reviews

Great hike. Little slick with all the fall leaves but we enjoyed it with our dogs.

Lindsay Brunner (531)

21 Completed21 Reviews

Ben Myhre (385)

8 Completed5 Reviews

The whole mountain took me about 3.5 hours but I stopped a lot to look at the views from different points. It was about as I expected on West Overlook Trail the .8 mile hike that goes to the west over look on Crest Trail and Mountain Trail the 1 mile trail that lead to the half way mark on Crest Trail. They were both rocky and steep but Mountain Trail was a more rewarding hike with pretty good views near the top of the trail. Over all House Mountain was a good half day expedition with rewarding views at the top. I do recommend this trail for a quick but moderately challenging hike.

Amanda McIntyre (104)

6 Completed6 Reviews

Wasn't expecting much from this hike but due to the steep grade it was harder than I expected. The views at the top were also much better than I expected as well though.

Shelby Ellis (56)

1 Completed1 Reviews

Beautiful hike! Did it alone to get a break from the city and it was a wonderful half day long escape.

Colleen Nora LeFaivre (64)

6 Completed1 Reviews

Hiked several times with friends when I lived in the area about 17 years ago....loved the views and enjoyed the climb. ....have some very good memories with Doug when we went there!

Support